ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: DVI instead of HDMI?  (Read 5309 times)

Adam Whetham

• Grand Forks, ND
DVI instead of HDMI?
« on: May 05, 2014, 02:37:44 PM »

So I have a projector mounted in a 2 story room. The equipment rack is right over 200 ft away. Currently having issues with reliability of the HMDI Baluns that are installed and have been looking at different options.

Looking at some specs it appears the DVI Baluns are a better option for longer runs? What I'm wondering is for HDCP problems, I need to extract the audio anyway to go through the speakers and send the video up to the Projector (Christie DHD800)

I've looked at some extron options for Baluns and switching. Right now its just a single HDMI run with Hall Research Baluns on each end.

Inputs would be HDMI from laptops, Apple TV used for Airplay, and a Cable TV reciever. Bonus if it has VGA inputs that will go out the DVI/HDMI outputs of the switcher.

Anyone had experience with any long run's and Baluns?  Wondering about whats best and worried about HDCP issues.
-I practice safe excursion on the weekends.

"If you think it's expensive to hire a professional to do the job, wait until you hire an amateur." -Paul Neal "Red" Adair

Jordan Wolf

Re: DVI instead of HDMI?
« Reply #1 on: May 06, 2014, 08:27:25 AM »

Adam,

I've had more issues with CAT extenders than with fiber ones.

Magenta Research recently came out with a DVI extender...I use their stuff from time to time, and it works well when you know how to set it up.

Extron's DVI extenders are good, too, though I've had one or two die for no apparent reason.

Gefen's DVI over Fiber extenders have been very reliable when we get them from Rentex...maybe see what model(s) they typically use.

Go for the best cable to you can...Cat7 STP, etc. that will work for your setup.  It ain't going anywhere after you install it, so it has to have some lasting value to it.
Jordan Wolf
<><

"We want our sound to go into the soul of the audience, and see if it can awaken some little thing in their minds... Cause there are so many sleeping people." - Jimi Hendrix

Bill Hinds

« Reply #2 on: May 06, 2014, 09:37:02 AM »

So I have a projector mounted in a 2 story room. The equipment rack is right over 200 ft away. Currently having issues with reliability of the HMDI Baluns that are installed and have been looking at different options.

Looking at some specs it appears the DVI Baluns are a better option for longer runs? What I'm wondering is for HDCP problems, I need to extract the audio anyway to go through the speakers and send the video up to the Projector (Christie DHD800)

I've looked at some extron options for Baluns and switching. Right now its just a single HDMI run with Hall Research Baluns on each end.

Inputs would be HDMI from laptops, Apple TV used for Airplay, and a Cable TV reciever. Bonus if it has VGA inputs that will go out the DVI/HDMI outputs of the switcher.

Anyone had experience with any long run's and Baluns?  Wondering about whats best and worried about HDCP issues.

HDMI and DVI are the same thing (different connector).  200' will be too long long for an extender/booster.  Shielded Cat6 will be the way to go.  Look at the Extron XTP transmitter and Receivers.  They are HDCP compliant.  This is not an area where you want to find the cheapest solution as reliability will suffer.

Ian Mansfield

• Multimedia Entertainment Group
« Reply #3 on: May 24, 2014, 03:13:24 AM »

Have you considered converting to HD-SDI, Blackmagic make some great little units, and with proper cable I have transmitted over 300 feet at 1080p.

Jonathan Kok

• Toronto
« Reply #4 on: May 27, 2014, 01:15:09 PM »

Have you considered converting to HD-SDI, Blackmagic make some great little units, and with proper cable I have transmitted over 300 feet at 1080p.
The need for HDCP compliance eliminates HDSDI as a transport method.

Alex Donkle

« Reply #5 on: June 10, 2014, 01:14:17 AM »

HDMI and DVI are the same thing (different connector).  200' will be too long long for an extender/booster.  Shielded Cat6 will be the way to go.  Look at the Extron XTP transmitter and Receivers.  They are HDCP compliant.  This is not an area where you want to find the cheapest solution as reliability will suffer.

Extron XTP is their fancy version designed to tie into larger systems, DTP is their cheaper line for simple point-to-point systems without the extra firmware to work in a large matrix system. But Extron DTP, Crestron DM, Atlona, etc. all use the HDbaseT chipset manufactured by Valens so the main difference will be box build quality and customer support. Older HDMI extenders had lots of issues and varied greatly depending on the manufacturer, but anything current using the HDbaseT chipset works fine up to 300'.

On HD-SDI, it is an option depending on your feelings on HDCP. There's a lot of boxes that'll strip HDCP, but that's up to you.
Consultant

ProSoundWeb Community

« Reply #5 on: June 10, 2014, 01:14:17 AM »

Pages: [1]   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.035 seconds with 22 queries.