ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: 1 2 [All]   Go Down

Author Topic: Weird ViSi Remote behavior on Expression 3  (Read 7336 times)

Karen Furno

• Panama City, FL
Weird ViSi Remote behavior on Expression 3
« on: May 01, 2014, 04:40:02 PM »

Worked a gig last night with a Soundcraft Expression 3 32 ch console, using an iPad Air running the latest ViSi Remote app.  Established the link fine, and faders tracked OK, but when I selected an input channel EQ on the iPad, if I dragged a parametric below the zero line to cut a frequency, the console EQ screen would show the cut, but the app would immediately flip the amplitude of the parametric to +15dB on the app screen!  You can hear that the cut is working fine in the console.  Also, the channel fader on the EQ screen would come up set to max amplitude, even though the console fader was down, and even though the app input fader screen would show it down as well.  In off-line mode, picking an Expression 3 from the device list and dragging a parametric below zero works correctly.  I updated the console to ver 1.5 build 8, but no joy.  Anyone seen similar behavior?  It's hard enough to mix with this app as it is without head amp settings or any meters, but this makes it even harder.

Jim Neighbors

Re: Weird ViSi Remote behavior on Expression 3
« Reply #1 on: May 02, 2014, 01:19:59 PM »

I have the expression 2 and there was a new updated released recently,  1.6 build 0005  and a new ipad app was also released.  I have installed both but have not used the ipad with the latest updates yet.  I will be testing it early next week.

I don't know if either of these will help will your issues or not.  sorry.

Karen Furno

• Panama City, FL
« Reply #2 on: May 02, 2014, 04:18:37 PM »

I have the expression 2 and there was a new updated released recently,  1.6 build 0005  and a new ipad app was also released.  I have installed both but have not used the ipad with the latest updates yet.  I will be testing it early next week.

I don't know if either of these will help will your issues or not.  sorry.
Thanks!  I found we had 1.5 build 4 on the console, so I updated to 1.5 build 8, uninstalled the app and reloaded the latest from the App Store, still no joy.  Also learned about powering down the iPad and restarting, which I did, and also installed the latest iOS to 7.1.1.  No workie.  After the gig today and tomorrow, I'll try the app on another, older iPad and see if I can isolate the problem further.

Jerry Prince

« Reply #3 on: May 02, 2014, 05:31:59 PM »

Thanks!  I found we had 1.5 build 4 on the console, so I updated to 1.5 build 8, uninstalled the app and reloaded the latest from the App Store, still no joy.  Also learned about powering down the iPad and restarting, which I did, and also installed the latest iOS to 7.1.1.  No workie.  After the gig today and tomorrow, I'll try the app on another, older iPad and see if I can isolate the problem further.

You should be installing the lastest update for the newest iPad App to work. The lastest software is 1.6 build 0005.

V1.6/3.1 software brings several new features and improvements to Si series consoles including BSS Soundweb London preamp control, external clocking via option cards, selectable input solo modes, SELect follow solo, pre-dynamics global bus send, knob bubble pin, and momentary on.

i'm so glad to have the pre-dynamic global bus sends. I have not had any issues with the new software or new iPad App.

Noah D Mitchell

« Reply #4 on: May 02, 2014, 11:09:27 PM »

Worked a gig last night with a Soundcraft Expression 3 32 ch console, using an iPad Air running the latest ViSi Remote app.  Established the link fine, and faders tracked OK, but when I selected an input channel EQ on the iPad, if I dragged a parametric below the zero line to cut a frequency, the console EQ screen would show the cut, but the app would immediately flip the amplitude of the parametric to +15dB on the app screen!  You can hear that the cut is working fine in the console.  Also, the channel fader on the EQ screen would come up set to max amplitude, even though the console fader was down, and even though the app input fader screen would show it down as well.  In off-line mode, picking an Expression 3 from the device list and dragging a parametric below zero works correctly.  I updated the console to ver 1.5 build 8, but no joy.  Anyone seen similar behavior?  It's hard enough to mix with this app as it is without head amp settings or any meters, but this makes it even harder.

I got the same result on a new SI EX 3 console - the little issue is that on the soundcraft page, 1.5 is at the TOP of the list, and 1.6 is further down - a little bit counter-intuitive. 1.5 build 8 appears to be the latest because it's at the top...

Karen Furno

• Panama City, FL
« Reply #5 on: May 03, 2014, 04:38:09 PM »

I got the same result on a new SI EX 3 console - the little issue is that on the soundcraft page, 1.5 is at the TOP of the list, and 1.6 is further down - a little bit counter-intuitive. 1.5 build 8 appears to be the latest because it's at the top...
Duh!  Alright, loaded 1.6 Build 5 but the problem remains.  I loaded the latest app on a previous model of iPad, and it works fine on that iPad.  But on my iPad Air, whenever a parametric goes below 0, the display flips it up to max positive.  And, it fails if the other iPad pulls it down, or the if console EQ knobs are set to a cut.  The iPad app running on the Air doesn't seem to handle negative values correctly.  Hard to believe it is my particular iPad, since it is less than a month old and I have the latest iOS on it.  The Yamaha app runs my LS9 without any issues.  I hate to perform a factory hard reset on my iPad, because I guess it will blow away my apps.

Tim McCulloch

• SR Forums
  • Wichita, Kansas USA
« Reply #6 on: May 03, 2014, 09:38:47 PM »

Duh!  Alright, loaded 1.6 Build 5 but the problem remains.  I loaded the latest app on a previous model of iPad, and it works fine on that iPad.  But on my iPad Air, whenever a parametric goes below 0, the display flips it up to max positive.  And, it fails if the other iPad pulls it down, or the if console EQ knobs are set to a cut.  The iPad app running on the Air doesn't seem to handle negative values correctly.  Hard to believe it is my particular iPad, since it is less than a month old and I have the latest iOS on it.  The Yamaha app runs my LS9 without any issues.  I hate to perform a factory hard reset on my iPad, because I guess it will blow away my apps.

iTunes keeps a record of your app purchases, installs and updates.  If you do a hard reset you should be able to reclaim your apps, your serial number and other identifying factors don't change.

I'd reinstall the ViSi app first and see it if works all by its lonesome self.  If so, reinstall others until you find out which one breaks things.  Suggest you contact Soundcraft, too, so they can investigate this as well.
"If you're passing on your way, from Palm Springs to L.A., Give a wave to good ol' Dave, Say hello to progress and goodbye to the Moonlight Motor Inn." - Steve Spurgin, Moonlight Motor Inn

Mike Maly

« Reply #7 on: May 03, 2014, 10:19:53 PM »

I'm having major connectivity issues with this new version and I believe it's in the new firmware with the board-not the updated app.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
-Maly Sound:
Hear the difference

Noah D Mitchell

« Reply #8 on: May 05, 2014, 02:30:18 PM »

Just to update - I'm having the same issue with iPad air and the newest firmware on SIEX-32. And, I had it with firmware 1.5 b8 and the new 1.6 b5.

Is anyone else having this issue besides the two of us?

Noah D Mitchell

« Reply #9 on: May 06, 2014, 11:27:02 AM »

I just got a response from Richard Morris at Soundcraft - he said there's a glitch in VISI and an update will be released in the next couple of days.

Karen Furno

• Panama City, FL
« Reply #10 on: May 06, 2014, 01:59:19 PM »

I just got a response from Richard Morris at Soundcraft - he said there's a glitch in VISI and an update will be released in the next couple of days.
Great news!  Thanks for checking with them.  Now the old software engineer in me wants to know what the glitch is.  It's curious that the iPad Air now has the 64 bit A7 processor.  If ViSi was coded with 32 bit integer math, and if a negative 32 bit value was not properly cast into a 64 bit register, it would turn into a positive number.  I suppose we will never know.  Time to camp out at the App Store, and keep hitting the refresh button...

Samuel Rees

• Washington, D.C.
« Reply #11 on: May 06, 2014, 02:40:11 PM »

These glitches are getting annoying. I stay a feature release behind now, unless there is a bug fix only.

Karen Furno

• Panama City, FL
« Reply #12 on: May 09, 2014, 08:15:11 PM »

RESOLVED.  Soundcraft uploaded a new version (2.0.32) of its ViSi Remote App to the Apple App Store, and it contains a fix to this iPad Air problem.  I downloaded it to my iPad and tried it this evening on our Expression 3.  Works fine, no problems.  Thank you Soundcraft for a timely update.

ProSoundWeb Community

« Reply #12 on: May 09, 2014, 08:15:11 PM »

Pages: 1 2 [All]   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.037 seconds with 22 queries.