ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: 1 2 [All]   Go Down

Author Topic: Looking for inexpensive gobos and alternatives  (Read 10348 times)

Matt Ratelle

Looking for inexpensive gobos and alternatives
« on: April 28, 2014, 11:40:00 AM »

I'm looking for cheap options for projecting the name of my events on a wall, and the floor as a still image. Any products you'd recommend that would be able to project this from about 20 ft away? I'm looking for sources to purchase such an effect in Canada (Ontario if that helps), or Western New York.

I do have a projector (since I know people often use them in this way, but I use it for other things at the event.

TJ (Tom) Cornish

• St. Paul, MN
Re: Looking for inexpensive gobos and alternatives
« Reply #1 on: April 28, 2014, 12:26:23 PM »

I'm looking for cheap options for projecting the name of my events on a wall, and the floor as a still image. Any products you'd recommend that would be able to project this from about 20 ft away? I'm looking for sources to purchase such an effect in Canada (Ontario if that helps), or Western New York.

I do have a projector (since I know people often use them in this way, but I use it for other things at the event.
How big and/or bright do you want it?  Custom glass gobos for the leko of your choice are ~$100 or so.  That's going to be your most reasonable option if you need it to be fairly bright.  Apollo and some other folks make LED gobo projectors that can work if your brightness requirements are lower.

Cailen Waddell

« Reply #2 on: April 28, 2014, 01:46:56 PM »

And s4 led is about 1800. You can print b/w gobos on transparencies.   15 events a year and you just made back the custom gobo price....

Matt Ratelle

« Reply #3 on: April 28, 2014, 02:54:47 PM »

How big and/or bright do you want it?  Custom glass gobos for the leko of your choice are ~$100 or so.  That's going to be your most reasonable option if you need it to be fairly bright.  Apollo and some other folks make LED gobo projectors that can work if your brightness requirements are lower.

It would be placed about 6ft-10ft from the wall, and the one on the floor would be about 15 ft from the floor. I'd prefer to have legible words for each.

TJ (Tom) Cornish

• St. Paul, MN
« Reply #4 on: April 28, 2014, 03:09:25 PM »

It would be placed about 6ft-10ft from the wall, and the one on the floor would be about 15 ft from the floor. I'd prefer to have legible words for each.
This additional information isn't particularly helpful.  How big do you want your projection, and how bright - i.e. what other light are you competing with?  Distance from the wall combined with your final size determines the beam angle of the projection, but not what fixture to use.

Matt Ratelle

« Reply #5 on: April 28, 2014, 03:13:36 PM »

This additional information isn't particularly helpful.  How big do you want your projection, and how bright - i.e. what other light are you competing with?  Distance from the wall combined with your final size determines the beam angle of the projection, but not what fixture to use.

The floor area does have dim lights (actually a chandelier that we dim down), so it would need to be brighter. I picture it as being about 6 ft. wide.

The one on the wall would be in an area that is quite dark (it's actually only the light from the chandelier about 30 ft away. I'd picture that one to be about 4 feet wide.

Chris Jensen

• Los Angeles
« Reply #6 on: April 28, 2014, 03:18:58 PM »

And s4 led is about 1800. You can print b/w gobos on transparencies.   15 events a year and you just made back the custom gobo price....

+1 on the S4 LED.  Runs super cool and low power consumption with all the color mixing for a static look.  Plus you can change barrels as needed.

When I unboxed some the first time I used them, the guy I was with showed me how cool they ran by drawing a happy face with a sharpie on the ziplock bag the pattern holder came in.  With the EDLT you could see every wrinkle and bit of dust on the baggie.

Matt Ratelle

« Reply #7 on: April 28, 2014, 05:29:33 PM »

Thank you all for your suggestions! Unfortunately, the S4 is far out of our price range, and considering the lights might be used for about 30-40 hours per year, I'm not sure we can budget that much for a high quality light.

Jeff Lelko

• Cape Canaveral, FL
« Reply #8 on: April 28, 2014, 06:55:26 PM »

You could try a Rosco Image Pro.  I've used them with reasonable success.  You basically print your image onto a transparency with an inkjet printer and slide it into a cooling apparatus.  Even with active cooling these images only last 20-30 hours, but for what you're doing that might be enough.  You do need to use this with a fixture that has a wide iris slot (S4, Altman Shakespeare, etc.).  This will not fit in an Altman 360Q, or at least not without modification.  Hope this helps!

Scott Hofmann

« Reply #9 on: April 28, 2014, 10:05:56 PM »

I have a couple of the Chauvet LED Gobo Zoom 2.0 projectors. You can use steel gobos or print your own on transparency film. They have a 15-watt LED engine and zoom lens. You can run with DMX or standalone modes and includes gobo rotation. For the kind of use and conditions you are considering, I think it would work well.
I'm very happy with mine for smaller darker room situations. $169 street price too!
Scott Hofmann

Josh Daws

« Reply #10 on: April 28, 2014, 11:50:38 PM »

as others have suggested a source 4 is probably your best best...you can buy interchangeable lens barrels for them so that if distances are shorter or larger you can accommodate them. they do have LED versions but are fairly expensive. Chauvet have their equivalent, but still around the 2k+/- mark but are surprisingly good, and they use the s4 barrels also.

the 15w versions at 20ft would be lucky to get a reasonable image from unless the room was really dark.

as far as custom gobo's, they aren't really cheap...but rosco are great, and usually a very quick turnaround

anyway if you are interested shoot me a message. i work for a production company in ontario that also sells/rent fixtures and can arrange custom gobo's.

Chris Jensen

• Los Angeles
« Reply #11 on: April 29, 2014, 01:51:46 PM »

as others have suggested a source 4 is probably your best best...you can buy interchangeable lens barrels for them so that if distances are shorter or larger you can accommodate them. they do have LED versions but are fairly expensive. Chauvet have their equivalent, but still around the 2k+/- mark but are surprisingly good, and they use the s4 barrels also.

the 15w versions at 20ft would be lucky to get a reasonable image from unless the room was really dark.

as far as custom gobo's, they aren't really cheap...but rosco are great, and usually a very quick turnaround

anyway if you are interested shoot me a message. i work for a production company in ontario that also sells/rent fixtures and can arrange custom gobo's.

How about the old Selecons with the right angle built into them.  I thought one of their selling points was that you could print transparency and use them in the pattern slot.  I think they used a GLA lamp, so they were probably as close to a S4 as you could get without having one.  I was never impressed by them.

Also the new Stand stuff seems really cool.  I got a demo of their House Light PL with the new LED engine and it was awesome.  They make an instrument smaller and larger than a S4 LED.  I would assume this is so they can't be classed with the industry standard, and they can fill their own niche.  It uses a single light source so what you see is mixed color from the source rather than the xmas light scalloping effect.  If I remember, the price ($1500?) for the smaller one, was way less than a S4 LED. 
http://www.seleconlight.com/index.php?option=com_content&view=article&id=599&category_id=184

Chris

Kyle Leonard

• Bozeman, MT
    • Enlightened Events
« Reply #12 on: April 29, 2014, 02:33:04 PM »

I bought a Time Square MR75 on ebay, also called gobo75, for $50. It's much smaller than an S4 and uses only 75 watts. It does the job very well. I get custom gobos from Gobo Source.

http://tsstage.com/stage_ellipsoidals_fixture.php?model=MR75Z_MR75ZN

Kyle

Matt Ratelle

« Reply #13 on: April 29, 2014, 07:13:12 PM »

I bought a Time Square MR75 on ebay, also called gobo75, for $50. It's much smaller than an S4 and uses only 75 watts. It does the job very well. I get custom gobos from Gobo Source.

http://tsstage.com/stage_ellipsoidals_fixture.php?model=MR75Z_MR75ZN

Kyle

If I could find one of those for that cheap, I'd be in heaven.

ProSoundWeb Community

« Reply #14 on: April 30, 2014, 01:17:52 PM »

Pages: 1 2 [All]   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.057 seconds with 24 queries.