ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: [1] 2  All   Go Down

Author Topic: Anybody seen these? JBL speakers  (Read 13210 times)

jasonfinnigan

Anybody seen these? JBL speakers
« on: April 18, 2014, 03:10:23 PM »

Anybody ever seen any of the speakers before? It's from a smaller outdoor festival we did and they provided the FOH speakers.

It's JBL cabs.  All Mono system so everything that is the same on each side was wired parallel.
there is a horn with a cast iron wave guide per side.
4 Mid Cabs (2 per side) with JBL 2XXX something 15" drivers these were either 16 or 32 ohm each don't remember.
2 subs (1 per side)  with dual 15 or 18" I think they said these Panasonic or Tandy or something like that drivers.
All from the 1980's and was supposedly used by the USO for their concerts as well as possibly a woodstock.

Just curious if anyone has seen these before.
« Last Edit: April 18, 2014, 03:44:45 PM by JasonFinnigan »

Ivan Beaver

• Atlanta GA
Re: Anybody seen these? JBL speakers
« Reply #1 on: April 18, 2014, 06:36:30 PM »

Anybody ever seen any of the speakers before? It's from a smaller outdoor festival we did and they provided the FOH speakers.

It's JBL cabs.  All Mono system so everything that is the same on each side was wired parallel.
there is a horn with a cast iron wave guide per side.
4 Mid Cabs (2 per side) with JBL 2XXX something 15" drivers these were either 16 or 32 ohm each don't remember.
2 subs (1 per side)  with dual 15 or 18" I think they said these Panasonic or Tandy or something like that drivers.
All from the 1980's and was supposedly used by the USO for their concerts as well as possibly a woodstock.

Just curious if anyone has seen these before.
The horns look like 2350s with a slot (2405?) in the middle on top (in the same cabinet).

I can't tell anything about the lows
A complex question is easily answered by a simple-easy to understand WRONG answer!

Ivan Beaver
Danley Sound Labs

PHYSICS- NOT FADS!

Art Welter

• Santa Fe, New Mexico
« Reply #2 on: April 20, 2014, 11:43:28 AM »

Pioneer made TAD (Technical Audio Devices) drivers, which were very similar to JBL drivers in many respects (bolt patterns) but were far more expensive and showed improvements in some areas of performance.

TAD has been making something of a revival in the club playback market, with old designs popular in 1970's discos being trotted out again.
« Last Edit: April 27, 2014, 02:32:15 PM by Art Welter »

Barry Singleton

« Reply #3 on: April 20, 2014, 01:43:50 PM »

,,,there is a horn with a cast iron wave guide per side.

Looks like a 2350 and a 2405 to me. None of which use cast iron in the horns or slots however. 2350's are cast aluminum.

Barry.
If we knew what the hell we were doing, we wouldn't call it research would we.

Tom Young

• Global Moderator
« Reply #4 on: April 21, 2014, 08:03:56 AM »

Panasonic made TAD (Technical Audio Devices) drivers, which were very similar to JBL drivers in many respects (bolt patterns) but were far more expensive and showed improvements in some areas of performance.

TAD has been making something of a revival in the club playback market, with old designs popular in 1970's discos being trotted out again.

I believe it was Pioneer (not Panasonic) who had the TAD division that made the drivers you refer to, Charlie.

Panasonic also made drivers and speaker systems but sold as Panasonic or Ramsa.

FWIW
Tom Young
Electroacoustic Design Services
Oxford CT
203-888-6217

duane massey

« Reply #5 on: April 21, 2014, 09:45:28 PM »

http://tad-labs.com/en/professional/index.html
They don't show an affiliation with Pioneer on their site, but it's definitely the same woofers/drivers. They have also moved into the upper-end home market. We used their products for a number of years in the late 70's thru the 80's. I still have a pair of 1601's and 4002's, but really have nothing to use them in. Truly the finest compression driver ever made from that era, but way too pricey for most markets.
I agree with Barry on the horns/bullets.
Duane Massey
Technician, musician, stubborn old guy
Houston, Texas

Chris Jensen

• Los Angeles
« Reply #6 on: April 23, 2014, 09:47:14 PM »

http://tad-labs.com/en/professional/index.html
They don't show an affiliation with Pioneer on their site, but it's definitely the same woofers/drivers. They have also moved into the upper-end home market. We used their products for a number of years in the late 70's thru the 80's. I still have a pair of 1601's and 4002's, but really have nothing to use them in. Truly the finest compression driver ever made from that era, but way too pricey for most markets.
I agree with Barry on the horns/bullets.

http://www.pioneerelectronics.com/PUSA/Professional

Look under "professional speakers"

Jeff Bankston

« Reply #7 on: April 28, 2014, 05:25:24 PM »

i use to see horns like that at concerts back in the 70's.

Don T. Williams

• Midas Pro 1 & 2, M32, dbTech T12, T8, S30, DM12
    • Q Systems Music & Sound
« Reply #8 on: December 08, 2018, 11:05:59 PM »

The horns were indeed aluminum.  They looked like cast iron because they were sprayed with an acoustical damping material that made them look like cast iron.  Those old Alnico magnet drivers made the cabs feel like cast iron.  I'm pretty certain the rig wasn't at Woodstock.

Mike Caldwell

• Covington, Ohio
    • Mike Caldwell Audio Productions
« Reply #9 on: December 08, 2018, 11:47:31 PM »

I took the image and jacked around with contrast to try to see the cabinets better. 2350 horns, 2405 slot tweeters and I swear it looks like the slot tweeter on the left has the slot in a horizontal position and the one on the right is vertical.
Sounds like TAD drivers from you description.

The cabinet below the horns appeared to have a grill on them, maybe someone put grills on the front of 4560's, if they are 4560's and loaded with JBL 2220 15's that would have some punchy mid bass/ mid range.

How did the system sound?
If all the components were working good and even with vintage 1980's era processing that system would not be so bad, actually it would be kind of fun to re visit!

How were they powering and processing the system. 
Set up correctly with modern day processing would really bring it to life, but not make it any lighter to move around!

And think how many times over that system has paid for itself!!!

ProSoundWeb Community

« Reply #9 on: December 08, 2018, 11:47:31 PM »

Pages: [1] 2  All   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.039 seconds with 22 queries.