ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Looking for info! ShowCo?  (Read 11463 times)

Collin Pfenninger

Looking for info! ShowCo?
« on: October 17, 2017, 02:33:57 PM »

Just trying to figure out what I have here. https://imgur.com/a/BZoG0 I believe that the prism shaped boxes are Showco pope boxes, or made from that design. As for the square rig, they are Showco tagged but have no serials... Have been told it was built for Willie Nelson but can't find any info on that also. Any info would be greatly appreciated! Any Questions feel free to email me. Wish I could attach all the photos but could only do one because of size requirement.
« Last Edit: October 17, 2017, 04:35:49 PM by Collin Pfenninger »

bill jones chauncey

• jerry garcia band fanboy
Re: Looking for info! ShowCo?
« Reply #1 on: February 18, 2018, 04:07:50 PM »

Just trying to figure out what I have here. https://imgur.com/a/BZoG0 I believe that the prism shaped boxes are Showco pope boxes, or made from that design. As for the square rig, they are Showco tagged but have no serials... Have been told it was built for Willie Nelson but can't find any info on that also. Any info would be greatly appreciated! Any Questions feel free to email me. Wish I could attach all the photos but could only do one because of size requirement.

I remember led Zepplin playing Kezar Stadium in san francisco, circa 1975..... it was called "Snack Sunday" i think ....5$ and the money was for hi-school sports. Lee Michaels N The Tubes opened..... Texas ShowCo drove 27 tractor trailor trucks here for the sound system.... there was a big write up in the paper. 1/2 way through led zep's set all the woofers shut down... only super loud tweeters were screeching. they stopped the show to fix it... also 500 white doves were released during Stairway to Heaven but they were so freaked out by the hi volume none of them would fly... they were all over the stage. frozen..... i was 20ys old and went to this show :).     good times   sorry i don't about the speakers but Texas ShowCo had 27 40ft trailors full of them
« Last Edit: February 18, 2018, 04:11:42 PM by bill jones chauncey »
JBL SRX 835p (2)....SRX 815p(2)....SRX 828p(1)....PRX818xlf (2).  Driverack PA2, Soundcraft UI12

Speed Daemon

« Reply #2 on: March 06, 2018, 04:36:06 PM »

I remember led Zepplin playing Kezar Stadium in san francisco, circa 1975..... it was called "Snack Sunday" i think ....5$ and the money was for hi-school sports. Lee Michaels N The Tubes opened..... Texas ShowCo drove 27 tractor trailor trucks here for the sound system.... there was a big write up in the paper. 1/2 way through led zep's set all the woofers shut down... only super loud tweeters were screeching. they stopped the show to fix it... also 500 white doves were released during Stairway to Heaven but they were so freaked out by the hi volume none of them would fly... they were all over the stage. frozen..... i was 20ys old and went to this show :).     good times   sorry i don't about the speakers but Texas ShowCo had 27 40ft trailors full of them
LOL...that brings back memories! I witnessed a similar failure at a Ted Nugent show at the Amarillo, TX Civic Center in 1978. My memories of ShowCo PA systems was that they were plentiful, but sound was mediocre at best. In the US the Clair Bros. had a better sounding PA. Now they're one and the same.

Bob Faulkner

• Raleigh, NC
« Reply #3 on: April 23, 2018, 08:12:26 AM »

Saw Phil Collins in the early 90's at an outdoor amphitheater (the Standstone) in Kansas City.  ShowCo was the sound provider.  Have never forgotten the wagon-wheel speaker array/hang.  Looks like they were using all Crown Macro-tech amplifiers.  It was, by far, the best sounding concert I have ever heard.

Tim Weaver

• College Station, Texas
    • Daniela Weaver Photography
« Reply #4 on: April 23, 2018, 03:11:26 PM »

You don't have Prism boxes.

http://www.paoftheday.com/showco-prism-sound-system/

what you have is typical of all soundcos in the 80-90's. Big, heavy boxes with big, heavy drivers stuffed in them. The sound guy with the most (heaviest?) drivers wins....
Bullwinkle: This is the amplifier, which amplifies the sound. This is the Preamplifier which, of course, amplifies the pree's.

brian maddox

• HeyYahWon! ttsss! ttsss!
« Reply #5 on: April 23, 2018, 05:36:13 PM »

You don't have Prism boxes.

http://www.paoftheday.com/showco-prism-sound-system/

what you have is typical of all soundcos in the 80-90's. Big, heavy boxes with big, heavy drivers stuffed in them. The sound guy with the most (heaviest?) drivers wins....

Sorry, but somebody had to post it....
"It feels wrong to be in the audience.  And it's too peopley!" - Steve Smith

brian maddox
[email protected]
Savannah, GA

'...do not trifle with the affairs of dragons...

....for you are crunchy, and taste good with ketchup...'

Doug Hammel

« Reply #6 on: November 28, 2018, 09:23:26 PM »

If I remember right Colin, those are "SS" boxes. When I was there for a short time there were a bunch of those with no baffle boards that were stacked up as cable bins in the warehouse.

William Schnake

• Schnake Sound & Light
« Reply #7 on: November 28, 2018, 11:07:28 PM »

Sorry, but somebody had to post it....
Brian, I think of this drawing every time a new rider comes across my desk.  I prefer to do 'What the Venue Needs'.

Bill
Bill Schnake - Owner Schnake Sound & Light

Avid/Crown/EAW/EV/Midas/RCF/Shure/Yamaha

schnakesound.com

Mike Caldwell

• Covington, Ohio
    • Mike Caldwell Audio Productions
« Reply #8 on: December 06, 2018, 04:49:38 PM »

Those are indeed Show Co boxes but not their top of the line Prism series.
I don't recall the model name of those, there just a basic front loaded direct radiator system.

A while back I saw an old Kiss concert video and those boxes were stacked up as side fills.
I bought some of those boxes a while ago as surplus, gutted them for parts, kept a few parts and pieces and sold the rest. Some of the double 12 boxes had the Yamaha version of a bullet tweeter in them.

I still have a few empty single 12 X 2  versions of those boxes in my barn. Way down on my project list is re vamping them and loading them with newer neo drivers, maybe I should have said way way down on my project list.

Tim Weaver

• College Station, Texas
    • Daniela Weaver Photography
« Reply #9 on: December 09, 2018, 09:31:05 AM »

A soundco I worked for had some Showco SS1 boxes. These are not those. SS1's had an E140 on a giant, heavy, cast aluminum straight horn flare. And a 2" JBL HF driver du jour. We had 2445's in ours. Heavy but stout little boxes. They were square, almost cubic, boxes.
Bullwinkle: This is the amplifier, which amplifies the sound. This is the Preamplifier which, of course, amplifies the pree's.

ProSoundWeb Community

« Reply #9 on: December 09, 2018, 09:31:05 AM »

Pages: [1]   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.061 seconds with 24 queries.