ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Yamaha DSR115 & DSR118  (Read 5930 times)

Robert Weston

• Power is cheap, reputation is not.
Yamaha DSR115 & DSR118
« on: April 18, 2014, 09:13:02 AM »

Anyone still using these speakers?  Thoughts/comments on sound & build quality?

I came across many comments on the DSR115 speakers (on this forum).  Consensus was very good.  Comments on the DSR118 (single 18" sub) was not as positive.

I'm considering getting a speaker setup that is more appropriate for small/mid-sized bars for live sound (mostly for rock).  My current system is too large for most bars (size, power requirements, speaker weight, etc...); it is used for outdoor events/festivals or larger indoor events.

The DSR115 looks to be a decent cabinet.  The DSR118 maybe "average"?

Most of the comments on these speakers were from 2011.  Not too many current comments.  I'm interested if anyone is still using these and are they keeping up with your demands.

Mike Maly

Re: Yamaha DSR115 & DSR118
« Reply #1 on: April 18, 2014, 11:08:18 AM »

The DSR sub really was disappointing for me. Always thought the box design is bad.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
-Maly Sound:
Hear the difference

kendallhadden

• Kindred Spirit Ministry
« Reply #2 on: April 18, 2014, 01:24:27 PM »

I'm not a huge fan of their subs, but the DSR mains are some of the best in that price range.  I have 4 DSR112 and love them.

Anyone still using these speakers?  Thoughts/comments on sound & build quality?

I came across many comments on the DSR115 speakers (on this forum).  Consensus was very good.  Comments on the DSR118 (single 18" sub) was not as positive.

I'm considering getting a speaker setup that is more appropriate for small/mid-sized bars for live sound (mostly for rock).  My current system is too large for most bars (size, power requirements, speaker weight, etc...); it is used for outdoor events/festivals or larger indoor events.

The DSR115 looks to be a decent cabinet.  The DSR118 maybe "average"?

Most of the comments on these speakers were from 2011.  Not too many current comments.  I'm interested if anyone is still using these and are they keeping up with your demands.

Steve Garris

« Reply #3 on: April 18, 2014, 03:54:05 PM »

I'm not a huge fan of their subs, but the DSR mains are some of the best in that price range.  I have 4 DSR112 and love them.

Me too, they make great rock monitors. If the OP is looking for a matched system, I would recommend JBL PRX 600 series (if you can find them) or the new 700 series. The bass bin to have is the 718-xlf.

Kent Clasen

« Reply #4 on: April 18, 2014, 09:35:39 PM »

We did an AB with DSR112, K12, and DSR115. We bought two DSR115 to go with two PRX718XLF we already had.  Like the larger horn, sounded smoother and had more punch with the XLF, which go low but aren't real punchy.  I didn't need/want the monitor angle or a mixer on the back (I hate those!).  It had more output too.  One person can manage it.  The measured response is very flat, I suspect due to components and FIR filters.  I am not sure how much Nexo had to do with this box, but it is a bargain IMO.  Too bad they don't have a narrower pattern option for 2 per side.

We mostly do design/build projects, but want a small live rig and they work great.  I recommend them.

Scott Bolt

« Reply #5 on: April 19, 2014, 10:07:56 AM »

We did an AB with DSR112, K12, and DSR115. We bought two DSR115 to go with two PRX718XLF we already had.  Like the larger horn, sounded smoother and had more punch with the XLF, which go low but aren't real punchy.  I didn't need/want the monitor angle or a mixer on the back (I hate those!).  It had more output too.  One person can manage it.  The measured response is very flat, I suspect due to components and FIR filters.  I am not sure how much Nexo had to do with this box, but it is a bargain IMO.  Too bad they don't have a narrower pattern option for 2 per side.

We mostly do design/build projects, but want a small live rig and they work great.  I recommend them.
I have the DSR112's over XLFs.  I also did a comprehensive comparison and completely agree.  The DSR115's are fantastic, and if I were 20 years younger, the added punch would have sold me over the added size and weight ;)

I really wanted to like the PRX tops better than the DSR's since they matched my subs and wee lighter..... But the difference in punch was to clear.

Robert Weston

• Power is cheap, reputation is not.
« Reply #6 on: April 19, 2014, 11:08:22 AM »

Many thanks for the comments and thoughts on these.  Looks like the DSR115 is the way to go.  We'll sample the PRX718XLF first and work from there.

Much appreciated!
Rob

ProSoundWeb Community

« Reply #6 on: April 19, 2014, 11:08:22 AM »

Pages: [1]   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.036 seconds with 24 queries.