ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 7   Go Down

Author Topic: Running long power cables on grass  (Read 33538 times)

Ray Aberle

• Classic LAB
  • Located in Vancouver, WA (and serves OR-WA-ID-BC)
    • Kelcema Audio
Re: Running long power cables on grass
« Reply #20 on: April 18, 2014, 09:42:18 PM »

You mean we aren't the only ones who have to do that? I always have to reinforce that we don't DJ or MC we will gladly play walk-in and intermission songs but NO DJ services. We are doing a 5K run tomorrow, theres suppose to be a band playing for most of the day though.

I'll prop myself. I have a good "Radio voice." I started my business as a DJ company, doing weddings, school dances, and such, and so have gotten very good at not only making clear and concise announcements, but also to be able to engage and entertain an audience.

However, when I do events such as a Relay for Life, I have been letting their staff partner know that I view them as I experienced in the Boy Scouts, where it was a youth-run organization-- I feel that the youth/committee should be running the event! I'll bring the gear, I'll help out where needed, but I really want to see them in charge of their entertainment. The caveat there, of course, is that I am charging more then "Joe Schmoe's DJ Service" is, but I am also bringing a lot more gear out to the event. Because of this, though, I'm also not going to be prefacing every announcement with "Hi this is Ray with Kelcema Productions your go to dj for any event weddings school dances corporate events holiday parties- whether you have 20 people or 3,000, we bring the party to you!!!" (run-on intentional) and then "oh (in a quieter voice) here's that really IMPORTANT announcement that you're now not listening to cos you tuned out my commercial..."

One Relay I picked up last year, the previous DJ not only did that, during their luminaria ceremony, the guy and his wife plopped down in chairs on the stage to watch, and refused to move! Needless to say, he wasn't brought back last year.

Relays pop up every year on here, on average, and people compare rates. Most of the ones I am doing this year are at least a grand each... the average DJ comes out for $300 or less in this area.

No 5K (or other event for that matter) for me tomorrow. Going on vacation. PDX to MIA, then Norwegian Cruise Line "Epic" for 7 days! First vacation in 7 years, so excited. :D

-Ray
Kelcema Audio
Regional - Serving Pacific Northwest (OR, WA, ID, BC)

John Moore

• "learning the hard way sucks donkey kong"
    • Trinity Productions
« Reply #21 on: April 18, 2014, 11:00:00 PM »

We  found U shaped stakes at Home Depot in the Garden Section and they worked out great..pin cables about every 60" and not too long so they do come out easy at tear down. Much better to deploy than have someone trip over a cord...
http://www.trinityprosound.com 209-832-8023
DEALER:Dealer for Yorkville, EV, QSC, RCF, Danley Sound Labs, VTC, Allen & Heath, Ashly, Denon,  Audix, One Systems, Beyerdynamic, Presonus, K&M, Ultimate,  Trusst, Road Ready, Gator, Radial Engineering, Turbosound, dB Technologies, RCF, American Audio,  Rapco, CBI Cables, ADJ, Chauvet, Blizzard, Furman, Shure, Tascam, Elite Screens,  BenQ, Midas, Digico,  and many many more...

Jason Raboin

• Klondike Sound
« Reply #22 on: April 19, 2014, 08:12:40 AM »

Now if I could only figure out how to charge admission...  ::)

At a college commencement most of those in attendance have already paid over a hundred thousand dollars in the form of tuition for the privilege of hearing their child's name spoken.  It's really the most expensive ticket in town.
Jason Raboin
Partner
Klondike Sound

Mike Sokol

• Lead instructor for the No~Shock~Zone
    • No~Shock~Zone Electrical Safety
« Reply #23 on: April 19, 2014, 08:22:47 AM »

At a college commencement most of those in attendance have already paid over a hundred thousand dollars in the form of tuition for the privilege of hearing their child's name spoken.  It's really the most expensive ticket in town.

Yup... I've already had my oldest son graduate from college last year, and now have identical twin boys graduating next year. So I'll be paying double-price for graduation.  :o

Steve M Smith

• Isle of Wight - England
« Reply #24 on: April 19, 2014, 09:06:09 AM »

most of those in attendance have already paid over a hundred thousand dollars in the form of tuition

How much?!!!

How do people afford to get edumacated in your country?!!

Steve.

Ray Aberle

• Classic LAB
    • Kelcema Audio
« Reply #25 on: April 19, 2014, 09:56:18 AM »

How much?!!!

Steve.
By setting out into a life of severe debt. Piled on top of usual college expenses, food, board, books, parties, trips, bad credit card decisions... It's a bad trap. Unless you are lucky to get enough scholarships to cover it, maybe go to school close to home and live with the parents, or whatever. And what's worse is that the financial aid you qualify for depends on how much your parents make, so if they make enough that (according to the government) they "could" pay your tuition, even if they're not going to, you are going to get screwed.

It's a shitty system.

Education should be the silver bullet. Schools should be palaces. It should be incredibly expensive for the government and absolutely free for the population. We're getting le---

Ugh, just dove into politics. Whoops. :-p

Just to say, it sucks. Some people avoid it.

-Ray "Didn't go to college, but now sometimes wishes he had" Aberle
Kelcema Audio

Tim McCulloch

• SR Forums
  • Wichita, Kansas USA
« Reply #26 on: April 19, 2014, 10:05:55 AM »

How much?!!!

Steve.

A degree can still be had for much less that US$100k...
"If you're passing on your way, from Palm Springs to L.A., Give a wave to good ol' Dave, Say hello to progress and goodbye to the Moonlight Motor Inn." - Steve Spurgin, Moonlight Motor Inn

Steve M Smith

• Isle of Wight - England
« Reply #27 on: April 19, 2014, 10:31:24 AM »

Education should be the silver bullet. Schools should be palaces. It should be incredibly expensive for the government and absolutely free for the population.

I know we're going off topic now but I'm sure there have been enough suggestions for things to clip cable to the ground.

When I left school in 1983 I had a university place to study electronic engineering in London but didn't take up the offer.  If I did, the government would have paid all of the tuition costs and also given me a grant to help with living costs of, I think, £2,100 a year.

Over the last twenty years the system changed.  Students now have to pay their own tuition fees and accommodation but they are able to get a student loan at a very low interest rate.  Currently, tuition fees are between £6,000 and £9,000 per year.

You only start paying off the loan when your income exceeds 75% of the national average wage.  If you never earn that much, you never pay it off and after a while (I forget how long) it gets written off.

It's not a good system (although I think it's better than yours) but it does mean that just about anyone can go to university if their school grades are high enough.

Personally, I think the government should be paying the tuition fees as an investment in the citizens of the country.

-Ray "Didn't go to college, but now sometimes wishes he had" Aberle

I sometimes feel that way... Also, if I were to go to university now, I would study law instead of electronics.  You don't really know what you want to do when you are eighteen.

Steve.
« Last Edit: April 19, 2014, 10:33:31 AM by Steve M Smith »

Ray Aberle

• Classic LAB
    • Kelcema Audio
« Reply #28 on: April 19, 2014, 10:34:14 AM »

A degree can still be had for much less that US$100k...
Yeah, you just have to be smart about it. I know people who will do community college for their first two years, then transfer to a big school, with most of their undergrad classes completed, for a helluva lot cheaper. My brother lived at home, parents paid for his first year, he worked enough that summer to pay for years two and three, and then got a scholarship to pay for year 4. So he graduated debt free. Living at home can sure be the ticket to save on the largest expense (room and board) after tuition.

As I mentioned above, I just didn't go. I signed up, was accepted, I think I paid $50 to confirm, and then just didn't go. Move-in day, someone calls me, "umm, are you going to be here?" Awkward. :P

Personally, I think the government should be paying the tuition fees as an investment in the citizens of the country.

Exactly.

-Ray
Kelcema Audio

Tommy Peel

• Longview, Texas
College Tuition and etc....
« Reply #29 on: April 19, 2014, 02:41:43 PM »

I graduated from college in December(I'm 24) with a bachelors in Computer Information Systems(similar to Computer Science, but with less math and sciencey stuff); the first few years I was in college(at a small Junior/Community College where I changed majors ~3 times) I had some scholarship money to pay for classes and paid the rest out of pocket(I was working at a tractor shop at the time making decent money, tuition was around $1500 per semester). After I transferred to The University of Texas at Tyler(where I graduated with my degree) I started having to get student loans to cover the tuition(which was around $3-3.5k per semester)... I graduated with around $23k in student loan debt which isn't too bad compared to some of the stories I've heard. I'll have to start paying on it in June(6 months after graduation), but the payments won't be too bad as they base it off of my income. Anyway that's my college story; hopefully I'll be getting a better job soon.

ProSoundWeb Community

College Tuition and etc....
« Reply #29 on: April 19, 2014, 02:41:43 PM »

Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 7   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.025 seconds with 24 queries.