ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: 1 ... 11 12 [13] 14   Go Down

Author Topic: Brand name cost me gigs  (Read 63975 times)

Lyle Williams

Re: Brand name cost me gigs
« Reply #120 on: April 25, 2014, 03:49:43 AM »

Community sound would be a good description for what I do.  Plenty of Behringer to be seen with guys doing what I do.  Plenty of Behringer with small bands doing their own sound. 

I've NEVER seen any Behringer with the full-time sound companies around my city.  I've never seen them have even an x32 out.  I've heard they have bought some, I've just never seen them used.

There is no shame in using Behringer gear, if that matches the price/performance point you choose to operate at.

I have Behringer amps in my roadcases.  They have never let me down.  Using something 4x the price would mean not having lights, or electrical distribution, or something else.  It takes a lot of gear to do a whole show.  The amps probably represent 10% of the dollar value of the gear I take out.  If I chose to put a heap more money into my gear, better amps wouldn't be at the top of my list.

But everyone's circumstances are different.

Steve Oldridge

« Reply #121 on: April 25, 2014, 12:18:35 PM »

That's just plain stupidity leaving the console out in the sun and placing it on stage. It would've been better to have a tent and place the console where the audience area is, but that's just me...

I'll agree that it probably wasn't the smartest move, but smaller operators I've worked with tend to have a fixed setup.. like console always goes on stage left.  In this case, I believe positioning was triggered by the POWER being rear stage left, so amp rack, console, etc. ended up that side due to cabling restrictions. You can see the grey power box on the far right back behind the console in the 2nd pic in my op.

Also, Presonus console can be run remotely via iPad, so other than the sun aspect, there's no need to run a snake and put it out front like a traditional setup.
« Last Edit: April 25, 2014, 12:20:54 PM by Steve.Oldridge »

Thomas Le

« Reply #122 on: April 25, 2014, 01:28:02 PM »

I'll agree that it probably wasn't the smartest move, but smaller operators I've worked with tend to have a fixed setup.. like console always goes on stage left.  In this case, I believe positioning was triggered by the POWER being rear stage left, so amp rack, console, etc. ended up that side due to cabling restrictions. You can see the grey power box on the far right back behind the console in the 2nd pic in my op.

Also, Presonus console can be run remotely via iPad, so other than the sun aspect, there's no need to run a snake and put it out front like a traditional setup.

True and Not exactly at both points on the Presonus, the StudioLive doesn't have full control on the iPad/iPhone app since there's no recallable HA and faders. At this point in time, for the same price of the 24.4.2; I could get an X32, a QU24, or an Si Expression 2 and have all control on the iPad.

Lyle Williams

« Reply #123 on: April 25, 2014, 05:23:47 PM »

Wasn't it the ipad that didn't like the heat, not the mixer?

Bob Kidd

« Reply #124 on: April 26, 2014, 02:06:48 AM »

Me neither.. played at an SR provider gig 2 weeks ago... custom built subs, looked like 2 x SR or PR725's each side for tops, macrotech amps, and a Presonus 24.4.2 console.  Sounded good, but the provider placed the console on the "wrong" side of the stage, so had "bright sun" challenges for more than half the gig (4 bands). He did mix out front quite a bit with his iPad, until it went into thermal shutdown and he had to come back on stage while it reset itself. LOL.
No B*ringer for that provider.

They are srx 725s on top.

Kevin Maxwell

• USA SW CT 46miles from MidTown Manhattan ATCF
« Reply #125 on: April 27, 2014, 11:51:50 AM »

I might have asked if they could be splayed out.

Maybe it’s a dual PA, vocals only in one and instruments in the other. If it is then you wouldn’t want them splayed.

Patrick Tracy

• SR Forums
  • Boulder, CO, USA
    • Boulder Sound Guy
« Reply #126 on: April 27, 2014, 12:08:49 PM »

Maybe it’s a dual PA, vocals only in one and instruments in the other. If it is then you wouldn’t want them splayed.

Good point - hadn't thought of that. I'd still rather have the coverage.

Steve Oldridge

« Reply #127 on: April 27, 2014, 12:14:49 PM »

True and Not exactly at both points on the Presonus, the StudioLive doesn't have full control on the iPad/iPhone app since there's no recallable HA and faders. At this point in time, for the same price of the 24.4.2; I could get an X32, a QU24, or an Si Expression 2 and have all control on the iPad.
agree, but they did basic setup from the console, them mixed from out front. yes, trim is manual, no motorized faders, and so on. Rest is recallable. I have one :0)
and yes, one can get those mixers in same price point.. now.  I have no knowledge of how long the provider had the console, just that there were issues reading meters in the sunlight.
« Last Edit: April 27, 2014, 12:17:34 PM by Steve.Oldridge »

Steve Oldridge

« Reply #128 on: April 27, 2014, 12:15:24 PM »

It wasn't.. standard config.

Steve Oldridge

« Reply #129 on: April 27, 2014, 12:16:38 PM »

Wasn't it the ipad that didn't like the heat, not the mixer?

yup.. it was the ipad that went into thermal shutdown due to heat/sun..  The presonus never missed a beat.

ProSoundWeb Community

« Reply #129 on: April 27, 2014, 12:16:38 PM »

Pages: 1 ... 11 12 [13] 14   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.038 seconds with 25 queries.