ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: 1 ... 7 8 [9] 10 11 ... 14   Go Down

Author Topic: Brand name cost me gigs  (Read 63967 times)

Rob Spence

• Boston Metro North/West
    • Lynx Audio Services
Re: Brand name cost me gigs
« Reply #80 on: April 18, 2014, 06:29:21 PM »

Just to clarify. I am not bitching at Doug here, but am actually backing his statements.

My take on the Eon bashing is based more on the fact people don't like the looks of the cabinet, and I would have to agree. Now look at the new 600 model and the same can't be said.

Not quite the looks, but the actual shape. They don't pack with anything including another EON (older ones).

I recall having a bunch of SP-5s at one point. Worked fine at the time.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD
rob at lynxaudioservices dot com

Dealer for: AKG, Allen & Heath, Ashley, Astatic, Audix, Blue Microphones, CAD, Chauvet, Community, Countryman, Crown, DBX, Electro-Voice, FBT, Furman, Heil, Horizon, Intellistage, JBL, Lab Gruppen, Mid Atlantic, On Stage Stands, Pelican, Peterson Tuners, Presonus, ProCo, QSC, Radial, RCF, Sennheiser, Shure, SKB, Soundcraft, TC Electronics, Telex, Whirlwind and others

Steve M Smith

• Isle of Wight - England
« Reply #81 on: April 18, 2014, 06:34:31 PM »

one of my first experiences with a national level road manager started out really bad. The band was playing a benefit in a small setting. My rig was more than adequate for the venue, but it wasn't what their road manager wanted. He loudly proclaimed his displeasure. The band had a great time on stage for the 50 people that showed up, and the road manager was singing a different song after he heard my hodge podge rig.

We had a similar thing happen with UK band, Doctor Feelgood.  It included them being told "if you don't like it, we'll just pack it all back in the van and go home" (with added swear words). 

Later we were told that our mix of JBL 4560s, Martin folded W horns and other no name horn loaded cabs sounded great - which it did!

Steve.

Steve M Smith

• Isle of Wight - England
« Reply #82 on: April 18, 2014, 06:36:51 PM »

Heck we like grundorf stuff http://www.grundorf.com/index.php?type=SOUN   but it seems no ones ever heard of them so we done get to use it much.

With a logo which looks like Behringer's from a distance!

Steve.

Thomas Le

« Reply #83 on: April 18, 2014, 06:42:08 PM »

Just to clarify. I am not bitching at Doug here, but am actually backing his statements.

My take on the Eon bashing is based more on the fact people don't like the looks of the cabinet, and I would have to agree. Now look at the new 600 model and the same can't be said.

I have to say, the EON600 is looking more acceptable. Gone are the goofy curves on the 500 series. We'll see how it fares with the QSC K series considering the specs are the same/similar.

Chris Hindle

• SR Forums
  • Montreal, Quebec, Canada, Earth, Sol System,......
« Reply #84 on: April 18, 2014, 07:54:52 PM »

Yes, that would be the system. It used the HDH Processor (HDH PCS)

You had the main full range cabinet, pictured above: HDH 1
You had a full range fill loudspeaker: HDH 2, HDH 2T, and finally the HDH 244T (which was (I think) the first Peavey loudspeaker to use the bigger 44T compression driver)
Then you had the dual 18" subwoofer: HDH 3
...and finally there was just the HF part of the main cabinet: HDH 4
Of course, as you mentioned, the floor monitor: HDH M

This system was designed to use the HDH PCS to provide a processed and monitored system. I believe it was available in at least 1988, according to the copyright on the HDH 1 Spec Sheet.

So, think for a minute about what other systems were available in 1988 and consider for a moment what this system was capable of...

I think we are more than a little beyond lowest cost products here.
I remember playing around with the HDH-1.
In particular, gluing (and re-inforcing) the 4-throat STYROFOAM driver adapter thingy that held 4 22A drivers together.
Pretty decent sounding rig at the time, but not particularly truck friendly. Had a customer with an 8-box rig, and I built plywood shims to support the 22A's once the first one broke.
About the same time, I started using a 12 box Adamson MH255/B215 system, and never really looked at the Peavey again.
Ya, Whatever. Just throw a '57 on it, and get off my stage.

John Roberts {JR}

• Hickory, Mississippi, USA
    • Resotune
« Reply #85 on: April 18, 2014, 08:14:03 PM »

Yes indeed! It always amazes me how often Peavey was just a little bit too far ahead of the curve... or maybe they were making the curve? I'm not sure.

I'm just glad this MediaMatrix stuff caught on and created this entirely new DSP market in the audio workspace.

Yup, I was there that day when the lads from Peak Audio first brought it in and gave their dog and pony show. Basically a PC with a crude monitor display showing a bunch of square icons that supposedly represented virtual crossovers and mixers, and all kinds of interconnect magic with a mouse click. It was no small leap of faith to believe that display was more than a video game for audio nerds, but Hartley shared their vision and embraced it.

I congratulate Hartley for having the vision, and for naming it Media-Matrix, not after some furry rodent like the feedback ferret.   :o

Media Matrix was a roaring success, despite being associated by the little loved (by sound installers) Peavey name. It succeeded because it was cheaper than competing approaches by a country mile. Sound installers pretty much had no choice. either use it or forfeit the job because the old school way using racks of analog gear and miles of wire was now obsolete and way too expensive.

JR
Cancel the "cancel culture". Do not participate in mob hatred.

jasonfinnigan

« Reply #86 on: April 18, 2014, 08:15:43 PM »

With a logo which looks like Behringer's from a distance!

Steve.

Unfortunately it does look somewhat like it. luckily for us Grundorf is known around here by some of the bigger bands thanks to a much bigger production company that uses Grundorfs subs for national touring acts. That company is the one who got us liking Grundorf.
« Last Edit: April 18, 2014, 09:27:37 PM by JasonFinnigan »

Ray Aberle

• Classic LAB
  • Located in Vancouver, WA (and serves OR-WA-ID-BC)
    • Kelcema Audio
« Reply #87 on: April 18, 2014, 09:05:09 PM »

Unfortunately luckily Gundorf its known but some of the bigger bands around here thanks to a much bigger production company that uses there subs for national touring acts. their the ones that got me liking grundorf actually.

My head hurts. I'm not sure what you're trying to say here. :(
Kelcema Audio
Regional - Serving Pacific Northwest (OR, WA, ID, BC)

jasonfinnigan

« Reply #88 on: April 18, 2014, 09:28:31 PM »

My head hurts. I'm not sure what you're trying to say here. :(

Pro Tip: Never use Speech to text to post a message from a phone! haha.

Edited it.

Ray Aberle

• Classic LAB
  • Located in Vancouver, WA (and serves OR-WA-ID-BC)
    • Kelcema Audio
« Reply #89 on: April 18, 2014, 09:33:59 PM »

Pro Tip: Never use Speech to text to post a message from a phone! haha.

Edited it.

Hahahaaa classic. :) I'm glad it's not just a case of not actually... wanting... to... be... comprehended... There's someone else on here who is now on my ignore list cos their posts regularly are so full of grammatical and spelling errors that I just can't make them out. Or, their posts are totally random nonsense. Or both!

Anyways, way off topic.

Back to the OP - Dave Dermont sure nailed it. You have clients that will hire you if you just purchase a bit more kit, of the type that they want to see? In other words, you can make an investment into new gear that is going to be paying for itself, immediately?!?

No brainer!

-Ray
Kelcema Audio
Regional - Serving Pacific Northwest (OR, WA, ID, BC)

ProSoundWeb Community

« Reply #89 on: April 18, 2014, 09:33:59 PM »

Pages: 1 ... 7 8 [9] 10 11 ... 14   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.039 seconds with 23 queries.