ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: 1 ... 6 7 [8] 9 10 ... 14   Go Down

Author Topic: Brand name cost me gigs  (Read 63971 times)

Jonathan Johnson

• Southwest Washington (state, not DC)
Re: Brand name cost me gigs
« Reply #70 on: April 18, 2014, 05:00:36 PM »

Not much love for products that required reading an owners manual to figure out.

My early impression of Peavey was that it was garbage. But you must understand that at the time, my experience with audio systems did not go past three knobs: volume, bass, and treble. I now know that probably every Peavey system I had heard was operated improperly by someone else, with the most common error being improper gain structure (and the second most common error being severe abuse of the hardware). Were I able to go back in time with what I now know, I could probably make them sound a whole lot better.

If only some of those owners had read the manual.
Stop confusing the issue with facts and logic!

David Parker

« Reply #71 on: April 18, 2014, 05:05:33 PM »

My early impression of Peavey was that it was garbage. But you must understand that at the time, my experience with audio systems did not go past three knobs: volume, bass, and treble. I now know that probably every Peavey system I had heard was operated improperly by someone else, with the most common error being improper gain structure (and the second most common error being severe abuse of the hardware). Were I able to go back in time with what I now know, I could probably make them sound a whole lot better.

If only some of those owners had read the manual.
I saw a band in a coffee house several years ago, and they had the latest from peavey, speakers, mixers, amps. It sounded really bad. I went and looked at the mixer, and the hi eq was rolled off on every vocal channel. Question answered.

Bob Leonard

• Boston, MA USA
« Reply #72 on: April 18, 2014, 05:21:49 PM »

Doug,
I really don't get the bashing the Eon takes. They certainly make money, and the newer version of the box sounds great if used properly in the way they were intended to be used. I'm having another WTF moment about that, and actually wish that instead of LAB and Jr. LAB the site was broken down by major manufacturer and all else.
Bashing the Eon or any other product is no sweat off of my ass, but if someone needs to bash at least compare the product to a similar product. People need to stop jumping on a band wagon simply because it appears like the popular thing to do.

Just to clarify. I am not bitching at Doug here, but am actually backing his statements.

My take on the Eon bashing is based more on the fact people don't like the looks of the cabinet, and I would have to agree. Now look at the new 600 model and the same can't be said.

BOSTON STRONG........
Proud Vietnam Veteran

I did a gig for Otis Elevator once. Like every job, it had it's ups and downs.

Steve M Smith

• Isle of Wight - England
« Reply #73 on: April 18, 2014, 05:31:07 PM »

I saw a band in a coffee house several years ago, and they had the latest from peavey, speakers, mixers, amps. It sounded really bad. I went and looked at the mixer, and the hi eq was rolled off on every vocal channel. Question answered.

Did you adjust it?  I think I would... in fact, I have on a couple of occasions.  I did ask first though.

Steve.
« Last Edit: April 18, 2014, 05:40:15 PM by Steve M Smith »

Patrick Tracy

• SR Forums
  • Boulder, CO, USA
    • Boulder Sound Guy
« Reply #74 on: April 18, 2014, 05:38:43 PM »

Many installed Peavey systems were horribly abused and poorly maintained but somehow continued to work just well enough to allow the owner to justify keeping it in service. So a series of BE's coming through the club would get a bad impression of the brand.

One of the reasons I never wanted to grow past the club market is because I would have no patience with such brand snobbery. That takes the fun out of it, and without the fun there's so much less to be motivated about. If it's just going to be about making money there's a million better things one could be doing.

Steve M Smith

• Isle of Wight - England
« Reply #75 on: April 18, 2014, 05:45:13 PM »

One of the reasons I never wanted to grow past the club market is because I would have no patience with such brand snobbery.

I hate brand snobbery. There's usually no real basis for it.

Whilst I usually use my $1600 Gretsch for gigs, occasionally I take out my Squier Telecaster which I think I paid £70 for.

They both work and make a suitable sound.

Steve.

Patrick Tracy

• SR Forums
  • Boulder, CO, USA
    • Boulder Sound Guy
« Reply #76 on: April 18, 2014, 06:00:04 PM »

For me it was a point of pride to look at people's faces turn from skeptical to confused to enthusiastic when I set up my hodgepodge of gear and made it sound good. Doing a small festival about a decade ago with a pair of Carvin 2-ways (with piezos) on top of a pair of Yamaha S4115H cabs I had one guy, a musician, come up to the mix position and ask some questions about the gear, like how many watts I was pushing (mostly Peavey 8.5C for about 200W per speaker). He said my mix sounded like a CD.

David Parker

« Reply #77 on: April 18, 2014, 06:00:25 PM »

Did you adjust it?  I think I would... in fact, I have on a couple of occasions.  I did ask first though.

Steve.
they had someone at the mixer. evidently that's how they wanted it to sound.

David Parker

« Reply #78 on: April 18, 2014, 06:03:47 PM »

For me it was a point of pride to look at people's faces turn from skeptical to confused to enthusiastic when I set up my hodgepodge of gear and made it sound good. Doing a small festival about a decade ago with a pair of Carvin 2-ways (with piezos) on top of a pair of Yamaha S4115H cabs I had one guy, a musician, come up to the mix position and ask some questions about the gear, like how many watts I was pushing (mostly Peavey 8.5C for about 200W per speaker). He said my mix sounded like a CD.
one of my first experiences with a national level road manager started out really bad. The band was playing a benefit in a small setting. My rig was more than adequate for the venue, but it wasn't what their road manager wanted. He loudly proclaimed his displeasure. The band had a great time on stage for the 50 people that showed up, and the road manager was singing a different song after he heard my hodge podge rig.

jasonfinnigan

« Reply #79 on: April 18, 2014, 06:11:09 PM »

Heck we like grundorf stuff http://www.grundorf.com/index.php?type=SOUN   but it seems no ones ever heard of them so we done get to use it much.

ProSoundWeb Community

« Reply #79 on: April 18, 2014, 06:11:09 PM »

Pages: 1 ... 6 7 [8] 9 10 ... 14   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.027 seconds with 23 queries.