ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: 1 ... 10 11 [12] 13 14   Go Down

Author Topic: Brand name cost me gigs  (Read 64367 times)

John Penkala

Re: Brand name cost me gigs
« Reply #110 on: April 23, 2014, 09:50:54 PM »

Sorry but this simply isn't true. You can have all the established reputation in the world. at the end of the day you have to be willing to provide what the client wants or turn them away; be it own the gear they are asking for or renting. Many bands will come through and request the Avid SC48,  and specifically JBL SRX712M stage monitors.

It's about the bands/production manager knowing that the gear will provide the show they are wanting - and I'm sure it's not behringer speakers/monitors.

I think the OP was describing the relationship/trust component of what I call "community sound".  I don't think he was refering to meeting rider specs.

Lyle Williams

« Reply #111 on: April 24, 2014, 04:23:39 AM »

Community sound would be a good description for what I do.  Plenty of Behringer to be seen with guys doing what I do.  Plenty of Behringer with small bands doing their own sound. 

I've NEVER seen any Behringer with the full-time sound companies around my city.  I've never seen them have even an x32 out.  I've heard they have bought some, I've just never seen them used.

« Last Edit: April 24, 2014, 04:26:04 AM by Lyle Williams »

Steve Oldridge

« Reply #112 on: April 24, 2014, 10:49:00 AM »

I've NEVER seen any Behringer with the full-time sound companies around my city.  I've never seen them have even an x32 out.  I've heard they have bought some, I've just never seen them used.
Me neither.. played at an SR provider gig 2 weeks ago... custom built subs, looked like 2 x SR or PR725's each side for tops, macrotech amps, and a Presonus 24.4.2 console.  Sounded good, but the provider placed the console on the "wrong" side of the stage, so had "bright sun" challenges for more than half the gig (4 bands). He did mix out front quite a bit with his iPad, until it went into thermal shutdown and he had to come back on stage while it reset itself. LOL.
No B*ringer for that provider.

Thomas Le

« Reply #113 on: April 24, 2014, 01:29:37 PM »

Me neither.. played at an SR provider gig 2 weeks ago... custom built subs, looked like 2 x SR or PR725's each side for tops, macrotech amps, and a Presonus 24.4.2 console.  Sounded good, but the provider placed the console on the "wrong" side of the stage, so had "bright sun" challenges for more than half the gig (4 bands). He did mix out front quite a bit with his iPad, until it went into thermal shutdown and he had to come back on stage while it reset itself. LOL.
No B*ringer for that provider.

That's just plain stupidity leaving the console out in the sun and placing it on stage. It would've been better to have a tent and place the console where the audience area is, but that's just me...

John Penkala

« Reply #114 on: April 24, 2014, 01:36:26 PM »

That's just plain stupidity leaving the console out in the sun and placing it on stage. It would've been better to have a tent and place the console where the audience area is, but that's just me...

FWIW, You don't always get to pick your FOH position. Incidentally, there's alot of small time operators who don't even own a snake so that they could even be out front.

Patrick Tracy

• SR Forums
  • Boulder, CO, USA
    • Boulder Sound Guy
« Reply #115 on: April 24, 2014, 02:00:17 PM »

looked like 2 x SR or PR725's each side for tops

I might have asked if they could be splayed out.

Tim McCulloch

• SR Forums
  • Wichita, Kansas USA
« Reply #116 on: April 24, 2014, 02:32:01 PM »

FWIW, You don't always get to pick your FOH position. Incidentally, there's alot of small time operators who don't even own a snake so that they could even be out front.

We try to get the FOH position that delivers the best experience for the client's AUDIENCE.  And we pitch it to the client in that way; that this directly benefits the folks who came to the event, the ticket buyers, supporters of the charity or the friends & family who attend a private event.

We don't do outdoor weddings where Bridezilla's wedding planner insists on an invisible sound system with the Invisible Man operating.  We try to avoid that level of neurosis and psychopathy... and yes, we do "little gigs" as well as arenas and theaters so I know what some of you are up against.  Sometimes you just have to tell a client that you're unwilling to risk YOUR reputation to accede to their desire for a mediocre show.  Nobody remembers the 1000 flawless shows you've done; they'll only talk about the *one* shitty gig you had where the failures were caused by client insistence in deviation from your normal proven procedures, materials and techniques.
"If you're passing on your way, from Palm Springs to L.A., Give a wave to good ol' Dave, Say hello to progress and goodbye to the Moonlight Motor Inn." - Steve Spurgin, Moonlight Motor Inn

Jerome Malsack

« Reply #117 on: April 24, 2014, 02:48:13 PM »

From the stand of the small, very small power.  I am all analog still at this point.
Running the snake into the grass is OK but not always possible.  One of the fun aspects of this is providing a digit wifi from an analog system.  So Your notes the other day have opened that door with a wifi app to the ipad connecting to the laptop that runs a Behringer cybermix 8000 giving my control of 24 channels of VCA on the laptop.  This old school toys are adding up to make some working solution.  Not total digital desk but usable. 

John Penkala

« Reply #118 on: April 24, 2014, 11:38:33 PM »

We try to get the FOH position that delivers the best experience for the client's AUDIENCE.  And we pitch it to the client in that way; that this directly benefits the folks who came to the event, the ticket buyers, supporters of the charity or the friends & family who attend a private event.

We don't do outdoor weddings where Bridezilla's wedding planner insists on an invisible sound system with the Invisible Man operating.  We try to avoid that level of neurosis and psychopathy... and yes, we do "little gigs" as well as arenas and theaters so I know what some of you are up against.  Sometimes you just have to tell a client that you're unwilling to risk YOUR reputation to accede to their desire for a mediocre show.  Nobody remembers the 1000 flawless shows you've done; they'll only talk about the *one* shitty gig you had where the failures were caused by client insistence in deviation from your normal proven procedures, materials and techniques.

+1

Excellent philosophy and insight as always, Tim. 

Tim McCulloch

• SR Forums
  • Wichita, Kansas USA
« Reply #119 on: April 25, 2014, 01:26:06 AM »

+1

Excellent philosophy and insight as always, Tim.

It's more cranky old guy observation - no good deed goes unpunished.  By the time a one-guy shop deals with some of the stuff he's asked to do, he's out of his experience level and comfort zone.  That, inevitably, is when shit happens.

We're all in the ultimate customer-service business and we want our client's clients to have a great experience; we want our customers to "look good."  That's the basis of a good business model; the rub comes when clients want to micromanage details in ways that deviate from practices known to deliver needed results.

Lights can make all kinds of fan noise, movers can go berserk, and everyone is still happy; the PA must be invisible, supply 60dB of EAG, involve no wires and be powered by lemon-scented unicorn farts or there will be great wailing and gnashing of teeth.

With my luck, somebody will be allergic to lemon scent...
"If you're passing on your way, from Palm Springs to L.A., Give a wave to good ol' Dave, Say hello to progress and goodbye to the Moonlight Motor Inn." - Steve Spurgin, Moonlight Motor Inn

ProSoundWeb Community

« Reply #119 on: April 25, 2014, 01:26:06 AM »

Pages: 1 ... 10 11 [12] 13 14   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.025 seconds with 24 queries.