ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 5   Go Down

Author Topic: 1970 suit case powered mixer  (Read 32814 times)

Mike Caldwell

• Covington, Ohio
    • Mike Caldwell Audio Productions
1970 suit case powered mixer
« on: April 11, 2014, 10:00:55 PM »

Maybe not exactly a concert sound piece of equipment but with built in reverb complete with bright-soft contour switch, about 50 watts output, unbalanced inputs with a high and low gain switch, in 1970 you would have felt special to have one of these........at least for a little while.

It has a few battle scars but it still works short of some noisy pots and an intermittent jack on channel 4. It's actually remarkably quiet as far S/N.
« Last Edit: April 11, 2014, 10:04:16 PM by Mike Caldwell »

Ivan Beaver

• Atlanta GA
Re: 1970 suit case powered mixer
« Reply #1 on: April 12, 2014, 09:35:40 AM »

Maybe not exactly a concert sound piece of equipment but with built in reverb complete with bright-soft contour switch, about 50 watts output, unbalanced inputs with a high and low gain switch, in 1970 you would have felt special to have one of these........at least for a little while.

It has a few battle scars but it still works short of some noisy pots and an intermittent jack on channel 4. It's actually remarkably quiet as far S/N.
That old Altec stuff was designed to work forever-built like a tank.

The "wattage wars" was the start of the downfall (as far as i know), but they always made good gear that worked well.

Oh how the mighty have fallen-like when spark-0-matic bought them :(
A complex question is easily answered by a simple-easy to understand WRONG answer!

Ivan Beaver
Danley Sound Labs

PHYSICS- NOT FADS!

Dave Scarlett

« Reply #2 on: April 15, 2014, 08:06:49 PM »

Just a few years later in Canada Yorkville came up with the YVM-6. Six channels and 100 watts into 4 ohms with built in reverb!
I use to work at Yorkville back then and you can read the full, and interesting story, at: http://www.yorkville.com/downloads/other/yorkvillehistory.pdf

Here's what she looked like:

Jerry Burns

« Reply #3 on: April 17, 2014, 11:10:11 AM »

Just a few years later in Canada Yorkville came up with the YVM-6. Six channels and 100 watts into 4 ohms with built in reverb!
I use to work at Yorkville back then and you can read the full, and interesting story, at: http://www.yorkville.com/downloads/other/yorkvillehistory.pdf

Dave, about 1975 had a Traynor Bass head and then I bought the Mark III guitar head. The bass head had 2 EL34 Tubes and sounded like a Fender Bassman only brighter. Never tried a bass thru that amp only guitar. The Mark III had 4 EL34 and was very bright and loud. Had 2 channels and was a very clean Amp also very heavy. I used that amp for 10 years and probably changed the tubes 1 time.  I always liked the Traynor PA cabs that looked like Porta potties standing up. Big alum horns on each speaker. I was told Leo Fender helped set up that company after he sold to CBS. This has nothing to do with the post but I liked Traynor Stuff, solid and always worked and a little cheaper in cost.

Dave Scarlett

« Reply #4 on: April 17, 2014, 03:42:26 PM »

Dave, about 1975 had a Traynor Bass head and then I bought the Mark III guitar head. The bass head had 2 EL34 Tubes and sounded like a Fender Bassman only brighter. Never tried a bass thru that amp only guitar. The Mark III had 4 EL34 and was very bright and loud. Had 2 channels and was a very clean Amp also very heavy. I used that amp for 10 years and probably changed the tubes 1 time.  I always liked the Traynor PA cabs that looked like Porta potties standing up. Big alum horns on each speaker. I was told Leo Fender helped set up that company after he sold to CBS. This has nothing to do with the post but I liked Traynor Stuff, solid and always worked and a little cheaper in cost.

I don't remember anything about Mr. Fender being around Yorkville sound but I bet he knew who they were!  If you get a chance give a read to the history link I posted originally, it tells of many innovations the company created. The "porta potty" or "dog dish" speakers were the YSC-7A http://traynoramps.com/legacy/vintage/product/ysc-7a/ seemed an odd way to make more of a cheap driver!

Steve M Smith

• Isle of Wight - England
« Reply #5 on: April 17, 2014, 04:56:18 PM »

Over here in England in the late 1960s, Charlie Watkins produced something similar:

As used at the original Isle of Wight festivals.

http://www.wemwatkins.co.uk/history.htm

Steve.
« Last Edit: August 12, 2014, 01:43:07 AM by Steve M Smith »

Craig Hauber

• Mondak Sound Design - Plentywood MT/Grenora ND
« Reply #6 on: April 28, 2014, 01:04:02 AM »

I learned "sound" on that thing.  Beat the living crap out of it actually and it still stayed in working condition.  Even had the matching column speakers with it.
Graduated from that to a Yamaha EM-300 and 2 shiny-new 4115 speakers.  Used the traynor as extension speakers with that or even as crude stage monitors!
Craig Hauber
Mondak Sound Design
-Live PA
-Installs
-Theatre

Gus Housen

« Reply #7 on: August 10, 2014, 01:01:13 AM »

I had a 6 channel vertion that I found in a old TV repair guys storage locker. it had no case but my buddy got it working and i used it and a couple Radio shack dual10" colums@ high school keggers

Jeff Bankston

« Reply #8 on: August 11, 2014, 10:46:24 PM »

in the early 70's we thought we had hit the big time with an early 1970's rack mount Tapco mixer.

Ivan Beaver

• Atlanta GA
« Reply #9 on: August 12, 2014, 08:26:51 AM »

in the early 70's we thought we had hit the big time with an early 1970's rack mount Tapco mixer.
If you had a Tapco 6 channel mixer with ALtec A7s-you had hit the big time.

Add in a Crown DC300 and WOW-you were cool. 

Oh how times have changed.

Now any idiot with a couple of bucks can buy a system that makes a lot of noise-but that is about it-noise.  Not quality sound.

While the gear had gotten much better-I don't feel that the "average" sound quality is any better-in fact I think it is worse-since it is so easy for people to get into the business.  At least years ago it took a decent amount of money to get a sound system. 

That weeded out some of the people
A complex question is easily answered by a simple-easy to understand WRONG answer!

Ivan Beaver
Danley Sound Labs

PHYSICS- NOT FADS!

ProSoundWeb Community

« Reply #9 on: August 12, 2014, 08:26:51 AM »

Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 5   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.024 seconds with 24 queries.