ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: 1 [2]  All   Go Down

Author Topic: Summed Bass, Puzzling!  (Read 10346 times)

Canute J. Chiverton

Re: Summed Bass, Puzzling!
« Reply #10 on: April 07, 2014, 09:30:42 AM »

It seems obvious to me that your "summed bass" is really just the left channel bass.  I tried, without success, to find a flow diagram for the "Bose controller", but the only thing that showed up was some DSP device they now have.  I can't tell for sure, but it doesn't look like the silver thing above the Crown amps in your picture.

I would carefully go over your controller settings/patching to confirm that it is operating as intended.

GTD
As advised before,  I will check every cable and each setting on every piece in the chain and let you all know the outcome! I am not sure if there is a Flow Chart in the Bose Manual.  If there is one, I will post it first.  You were correct, the Silver thing is the Bose Controller/Xover. (They like to put fancy names on stuff to charge you more....just like Starbucks!!)

Canute J. Chiverton

« Reply #11 on: April 11, 2014, 02:31:25 PM »

OK I just completed a thorough Continuity Test on ALL my signal cables and routing in my Rack and I believe I have found the problem. All the Cables including the Store bought ones are fine, they passed. I had a Left and Right output/input mixed up (Operator Error...Guilty).  I recently rewired something in the rack and mistakenly plugged in a signal cable in the wrong Input. It was not that easy to find since I employ a Harnessing method with breakouts but the ends are all marked and color coded.
The real test will be tonight. I am expecting to get some bass response from both output channels from my Live Mixer. I will report back on final outcome by tomorrow.

Taylor Hall

« Reply #12 on: April 11, 2014, 03:05:21 PM »

At least it was an easy fix (even if it did come at the expense of a fair bit of egg on face). Hopefully all i well and everything performs as intended.
There are two ways to do anything:
1) Do it right
2) Do it over until you do it right

Steve Oldridge

« Reply #13 on: April 11, 2014, 05:51:28 PM »

OK I just completed a thorough Continuity Test on ALL my signal cables and routing in my Rack and I believe I have found the problem.

I guess the real lesson learnt is to test the setup and ensure it's working BEFORE it hits the road. Sure, sh*t happens on the road. Stuff breaks, but if you KNEW it worked before it left....

I went thru a similar situation a couple of weeks ago, with our band PA (not mine) where the owner/band leader had pinked the room OK, but when we did (a late) sound check, there was nothing coming from the PA but subs.
Turned out - after much "chicken mode" troubleshooting - that he had somehow muted the Mid and High outputs (subs were OK) on the front panel on the DRPA+ during the RTA process.  Apparently, pink noise generator bypasses those mutes.
It's a personal pet peeve (stems from being a long-time IT guy) when folks take a PA system to a job, then want to re-configure/re-wire, "let's double the subs tonight!",  10 mins before the band plays. Errr, no... it's asking for trouble.

Hope it all works well, nothing more frustrating than stuff not working at an event!

Bill McIntosh

• Louisville KY
« Reply #14 on: April 11, 2014, 07:01:18 PM »

I guess the real lesson learnt is to test the setup and ensure it's working BEFORE it hits the road.

It's a personal pet peeve (stems from being a long-time IT guy) when folks take a PA system to a job, then want to re-configure/re-wire, "let's double the subs tonight!",  10 mins before the band plays. Errr, no... it's asking for trouble.

+1

I got a dose of that (second-hand, fortunately).  Trainer friend of mine is ready to present a new sales tool to a ballroom with ~800 sales managers, exec VPs, and president.  Decides to change his screen resolution at the last minute and...viola!  His laptop is sending 20% wider than the projectors will handle.  I got to watch a very amusing song and dance that started out "well, over HERE if you could see it, would be the controls for..." :o

Lesson:  you can EXPECT only what you INSPECT.   8)
You always have to do the right thing, but that's not enough. You have a job where people have to trust you. You have to LOOK like you're doing the right thing.

Canute J. Chiverton

« Reply #15 on: April 12, 2014, 01:40:02 AM »

So as I suggested above check each interconnect to make sure the hot and cold signal wires aren't switched inside a connector somewhere.
Paul and the other lads, I want to thank you all for the suggestions. As posted yesterday the Culprit was a mixed signal cable left output from EQ going to right input of Bose controller/Xover. I was the Villain who messed up. The sound was sweet tonight, natural Mids and Highs and nice tight bass. I now have satisfaction in knowing that all my cables are up to snuff since I tested them all for shorts and continuity!.  Once again thank you very much.   These Forums are a priceless resource!

Steve M Smith

• Isle of Wight - England
« Reply #16 on: April 12, 2014, 04:34:41 AM »

Decides to change his screen resolution at the last minute and...viola!

And his oversize violin?!!

Steve.

Geoff Doane

• Halifax, NS
« Reply #17 on: April 12, 2014, 09:01:40 AM »

And his oversize violin?!!

Steve.

Yeah, I was going to say that a viola is about 20% bigger than a violin (and burns about 20%.....).

Geoff (sometimes violist)

Canute J. Chiverton

« Reply #18 on: April 12, 2014, 10:32:14 AM »

The problem with this was that last week nobody but me noticed. Two tops were still playing and the sub was also playing however I felt the naturalness and thump was not all there. We need to send the Audience to PA School so that they know to expect the best sound, hahaha.
I once did an experiment where I turned off the left side of my PA to see how long it would take anyone to inform me that my left speaker was not playing. After a long wait with no success I turned it back on! Those folks were not even drunk as yet! Or maybe they were and could care less. SMH

ProSoundWeb Community

« Reply #18 on: April 12, 2014, 10:32:14 AM »

Pages: 1 [2]  All   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.035 seconds with 24 queries.