ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: 1 [2]  All   Go Down

Author Topic: Sennheiser repair prices  (Read 15762 times)

Lee Brenkman

Re: Sennheiser repair prices
« Reply #10 on: April 07, 2014, 02:57:13 PM »

It's all economics.  How serviceable do parts need to be?  Would people be willing to pay more for equipment up front that guaranteed serviceability?  With automated production lines, less resources are required to build a product than are needed to service a product.  In the case of a microphone, the expensive component is the mic element.  To package and ship a low volume of mic elements for service needs may cost MORE than shipping the entire finished unit.  Actually repairing a damaged element would be in no way economical, and the resources needed to special package and ship one item is more than just shipping the additional finished good.

So, in some cases, making items disposable can be better for the world.

Yes, in some cases I DO pay more for equipment of all kinds that can be serviced.  In others I understand the initial cost vs repairability of a product.

None of this explains to me why this manufacturer charges a flat rate that differs $44 for servicing two microphones that have the identical element.  And the one that is cheaper is the one with more parts, the switch and its associated wiring.

Art Welter

• Santa Fe, New Mexico
« Reply #11 on: April 07, 2014, 04:17:24 PM »

So, in some cases, making items disposable can be better for the world.
In the case of the last pair of Sennheiser MD421-II last purchased which both failed after less than a half a dozen uses in front of various reed instruments, slightly after their one year warranty had expired, I did not find their disposable nature better in any way for my world.

When a $300+ microphone that still looks brand new fails and the manufacturer wants near new prices to repair their defect, they have lost me to their world.

ProSoundWeb Community

« Reply #11 on: April 07, 2014, 04:17:24 PM »

Pages: 1 [2]  All   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.038 seconds with 23 queries.