ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: 1 2 [3] 4   Go Down

Author Topic: Console for recording mix down of live Dante  (Read 19263 times)

Kieran Walsh

• Audinate
Re: Console for recording mix down of live Dante
« Reply #20 on: April 04, 2014, 06:18:58 PM »

Just a quick heads up... this resource is very useful... http://proaudio.yamaha.co.jp/products/interfaces/ygdaicards_matching/myguide.php

I suggest you refer to it, as it will give you the best chance of success when configuring multiple slots with Yamaha consoles. For instance this site shows that you cannot use 6 Dante MY16-AUD cards in the DM2K - You can use 4, so this does still fit the bill... I used this page daily in a previous existence, and it saved me a good number of times ;)
Senior Technical Solutions Manager, Audinate EMEA.

Justice C. Bigler

• SR Forums
  • Tulsa, Oklahoma
    • My homepage
« Reply #21 on: April 04, 2014, 07:27:34 PM »

Kieran, since you stepped into this thread, what are the best options for running Dante at 96k?
Justice C. Bigler
Business Rep, IATSE Local 354
www.justicebigler.com

Kieran Walsh

• Audinate
« Reply #22 on: April 05, 2014, 09:15:13 AM »

Kieran, since you stepped into this thread, what are the best options for running Dante at 96k?

Justice - This is a difficult one for me to comment on directly- as we are a technology provider to a large number of customers. It is obviously unfair to comment on one over the other.

However, reading through this thread, most of the options are covered by other posts, and are expressed in a clear way.

Personally- I would without pointing at a specific set of devices or device take an "old fashioned" approach and treat it like any other kind of split - meaning keep it as simple and functional as possible. Redundancy is something to consider - however I would from a practical point of view simplify down to I/O without processing as a first step, and then work out the redundancy part afterwards.

Of course I would comment directly upon an approach that may be presented, and suggest weaknesses/risks, if asked.

Thanks

Kieran

kristianjohnsen

• Lillehammer, Norway
    • Lillehammer Lyd og Lys
« Reply #23 on: April 05, 2014, 03:53:55 PM »

Just a quick heads up... this resource is very useful... http://proaudio.yamaha.co.jp/products/interfaces/ygdaicards_matching/myguide.php

I suggest you refer to it, as it will give you the best chance of success when configuring multiple slots with Yamaha consoles. For instance this site shows that you cannot use 6 Dante MY16-AUD cards in the DM2K - You can use 4, so this does still fit the bill... I used this page daily in a previous existence, and it saved me a good number of times ;)

Kieran.

I'm a big fan of the chart you linked to and use it every so often myself.  Funny thing is, when I read it, it says the Yamaha DM2K can use 6 Dante cards...

Mac Kerr

• Old enough to know better
  • Administrator
  • Audio Plumber
« Reply #24 on: April 05, 2014, 04:13:41 PM »

Kieran.

I'm a big fan of the chart you linked to and use it every so often myself.  Funny thing is, when I read it, it says the Yamaha DM2K can use 6 Dante cards...

Well, just to confuse the issue a little more, it tells me I can use up to 5 cards. It says 6 cards is a no go.

Mac

Kieran Walsh

• Audinate
« Reply #25 on: April 05, 2014, 04:18:00 PM »

Well, just to confuse the issue a little more, it tells me I can use up to 5 cards. It says 6 cards is a no go.

Mac

Mea Culpa

When I said 4 I was mixing my metaphors- 4 would be what you need for 32 channels at 96KHz... as per the OP... yes I agree it says 5 is ok not 6 (current- as in I thing I believe)

Sorry not to be clear ;)

kristianjohnsen

• Lillehammer, Norway
    • Lillehammer Lyd og Lys
« Reply #26 on: April 06, 2014, 08:51:09 AM »

Mac

I tried it again, and it still said 6 cards when I did.

Is there something in the text I'm no seeing eliminating the sixth card, like current draw, etc?

Mark McFarlane

« Reply #27 on: April 06, 2014, 09:28:05 AM »

I tried it again, and it still said 6 cards when I did.

Is there something in the text I'm no seeing eliminating the sixth card, like current draw, etc?

There is a CHECK button at the bottom of the form that verifies all of the various combinations of cards you select. Otherwise you might select 6 of everything, which obviously wouldn't work simultaneously.

Takes some trial and error, select 6, check, it says NO. Select 5, check, it says OK.
Mark McFarlane

kristianjohnsen

• Lillehammer, Norway
    • Lillehammer Lyd og Lys
« Reply #28 on: April 06, 2014, 09:56:39 AM »

There is a CHECK button at the bottom of the form that verifies all of the various combinations of cards you select. Otherwise you might select 6 of everything, which obviously wouldn't work simultaneously.

Takes some trial and error, select 6, check, it says NO. Select 5, check, it says OK.
Ah, I selected 6 Dante cards, and then tried selecting something else and was told "not enough slots" so I figured all was good up to six. Thanks!:)

Scott Helmke

« Reply #29 on: April 06, 2014, 06:38:08 PM »

There is maybe a power supply limitation when it comes to the DM2000, 96kHz, and slots.  I had a repair call where I updated a couple things in a DM2000 PSU following Yamaha tech recommendations, and it still wasn't happy at 96k until we pulled some AD96 cards out of the slots. Luckily those cards were no longer needed.

ProSoundWeb Community

« Reply #29 on: April 06, 2014, 06:38:08 PM »

Pages: 1 2 [3] 4   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.034 seconds with 24 queries.