ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4   Go Down

Author Topic: Console for recording mix down of live Dante  (Read 19266 times)

jason misterka

Re: Console for recording mix down of live Dante
« Reply #10 on: April 03, 2014, 07:15:41 PM »

None at all in my opinion.  The producer is insisting on the 96k for all the audio.  I fought that fight and lost.  I think that the reasoning is that they want to be able to release a post-production mastered version in 96/24.  Even my broadcast mix has to be delivered at 96k. 

-d

Easy solution is Dante to KT DN9650 with V2 Dante Card to AES50 to Midas PRO desks.

If you can't find the newer V2 Dante card then you may need two DN9650 to keep it 96k.

Jason

kristianjohnsen

• Lillehammer, Norway
    • Lillehammer Lyd og Lys
« Reply #11 on: April 03, 2014, 09:27:28 PM »

Hello everyone,

I have a project coming up in a couple months that will include 32 channels coming from a live performance over Dante.  I need to take those channels and make a live broadcast stereo mix.  The channels are going to be recorded individually by JoeCo BBR-Dante boxes, and I need to send the stereo mix out on AES.  There are lots of consoles that can do this, but the snag I hit is that the client is insisting on working in 96khz.  The JoeCo has no problem with a 96kbs stream, but I'm having issues finding a console that can do this for me.  I originally planned on using a Yamaha CL-1 but its limited to 48khz.  The Allen and Heath iLive has the same limitation.  I'm going to be working from a very mobile setup so I'd also like to find a console that is rack mountable.  My next thought was a Digico SD11 but I'd have to turn that Dante stream into MADI to make that work.  Does anyone have a recommendation?

-d
Both Yamaha DM1000, DM2000 as well as PM5D can do 96kHz. Even 01v96 and 02R96 can do it, but with loss of channels.

Justice C. Bigler

• SR Forums
  • Tulsa, Oklahoma
    • My homepage
« Reply #12 on: April 03, 2014, 09:47:02 PM »

Both Yamaha DM1000, DM2000 as well as PM5D can do 96kHz. Even 01v96 and 02R96 can do it, but with loss of channels.

For any of those consoles, you'll need the MY16-AUD card, which sadly each will only do 8 channels at 96k. I think only the PM5D has enough card slots to do all 32 channels that the OP wants.

OP, I think your best option is something like a Protools HDx system with the Focusrite Red Net, and a control surface for the mixing side. Or Yamaha Nuage maybe?
Justice C. Bigler
Business Rep, IATSE Local 354
www.justicebigler.com

Mark McFarlane

« Reply #13 on: April 04, 2014, 01:45:26 AM »

OP, I think your best option is something like a Protools HDx system with the Focusrite Red Net, and a control surface for the mixing side. Or Yamaha Nuage maybe?

If I was building a recording rig Rednet5/HDX/surface would be a reasonable investment. Is it easy to find rentals of Rednet boxes, HDX systems and DAW control surfaces? 
Mark McFarlane

Justice C. Bigler

• SR Forums
  • Tulsa, Oklahoma
    • My homepage
« Reply #14 on: April 04, 2014, 02:18:31 AM »

Is it easy to find rentals of Rednet boxes, HDX systems and DAW control surfaces?

Ppffftt...lol..outside of one or two high end Broadway or Hollywood sound shops? Probably not.

I dunno, maybe I'm wrong. If I am I'd like to know because I may have occasion to rent a high end recording/mixing system in the future.
Justice C. Bigler
Business Rep, IATSE Local 354
www.justicebigler.com

Samuel Rees

• Washington, D.C.
Console for recording mix down of live Dante
« Reply #15 on: April 04, 2014, 03:34:14 AM »

Ppffftt...lol..outside of one or two high end Broadway or Hollywood sound shops? Probably not.

I dunno, maybe I'm wrong. If I am I'd like to know because I may have occasion to rent a high end recording/mixing system in the future.

The KT9650 and a Midas Pro1 or Digico SD11 seem like the easy options. Any big Midas rental house should have the former two things, or you could just buy a rednet 6 and rent anSD11.

BurtonJohnReid

« Reply #16 on: April 04, 2014, 04:46:31 AM »

The Yamaha DM2000VCM was built for exactly this application. It has 6 expansion slots, so fitting 6 x Dante Cards will give you 48 Dante channels at 96KHz. You can mix up to 96 channels at 96Khz. It also has 2 x AES outputs.
« Last Edit: April 04, 2014, 04:49:09 AM by BurtonJohnReid »

Lee Buckalew

• Classic LAB
  • St. Louis, MO area
    • Pro Sound Advice, Inc.
« Reply #17 on: April 04, 2014, 06:22:04 AM »

Hi Mark,

Its still TBD at the moment, but probably it will be 4x Millennia HV-3R preamps feeding analog into 2x Rednet 2 boxes to get it to Dante.  The Dante then will feed 2x Joe-Co BBR-Dante recorders and the mix down console.

Just re-reading.  What are the locations of various equipment?  You are taking analogue out of the Millennia HV3R's, converting that to Dante at the Rednet units. 
Why not split the analogue (this is built into the HV3R on multi pin connections, Tascam pin out, if they have the HROE option) and go to something that an easily available console in your area can use at 96kHz?  If the Millennia are fitted with the digital I/O option you could run AES from all to your broadcast console many more 96kHz AES options for consoles that Dante. 
Also, just curious, are you actually delivering a live broadcast feed or a 2 track for a broadcaster to convert for later airing?  I ask because if it's live then 96kHz (or even 16 bit 44.1) is a pipe dream.  By the time that signal is converted to an AAC (or worse) codec at low resolution in order to send it to the station it won't matter.  Mixing at 96 has advantages but transmitting the broadcast feed that way has none (if it's live).

Lee
« Last Edit: April 04, 2014, 06:32:17 AM by Lee Buckalew »
Lee Buckalew
Pro Sound Advice, Inc.

Chris Johnson [UK]

« Reply #18 on: April 04, 2014, 06:39:24 AM »

I've done a lot of this kind of thing.

Personally, if you are going to go Dante for a live (read: mission-critical) recording/Tx, then you should be looking at devices which have some form of redundancy built in. The problem with the RedNet stuff is that its only got 1 network connection, and 1 power supply, so no redundancy in the network whatsoever. The RedNet 6 is the same unfortunately (incidentally, SSL do a Dante-Madi box which has redundancy).

So, if this were me, and I needed to do 32ch at 96k for a broadcast, I would do one of the following:

Either go digico with the optocore option. That gives you redundancy, and you can use an SD-Rack / D-Rack / SD-Mini-Rack for the A-D. All 96k. Then take Madi out into a pair of BBR-64-Madi recorders using the console's 2 Madi ports. This gives you redundancy all the way through (including the recorders).

Or, go Midas. Grab a DL251 box (or 451 w/ AES cards if you like) to go with the Pre's and then run that over AES50 back to the console. You could mix it on a Pro2, and use the onboard AES50 connections to convert to Madi/Dante for record.

If you must go Dante, then I'd put 2 * Rednet D16 with the Millenias (AES-Dante converter with redundancy) and then go back to Madi/AES50 using either the SSL Madi-Dante into a Digico, or DN9650 into a Pro1/2
Riedel Communications

kristianjohnsen

• Lillehammer, Norway
    • Lillehammer Lyd og Lys
« Reply #19 on: April 04, 2014, 12:25:23 PM »

For any of those consoles, you'll need the MY16-AUD card, which sadly each will only do 8 channels at 96k. I think only the PM5D has enough card slots to do all 32 channels that the OP wants.

Hello.  You're right. Only 8ch of I/O at 96kHzSR.  But, the DM2K has 6 YGDAI slots.
« Last Edit: April 04, 2014, 12:28:31 PM by kristianjohnsen »

ProSoundWeb Community

« Reply #19 on: April 04, 2014, 12:25:23 PM »

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.039 seconds with 24 queries.