ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: [1] 2 3 4   Go Down

Author Topic: Bridging Subwoofers?  (Read 17317 times)

Justin Smith

Bridging Subwoofers?
« on: April 01, 2014, 10:16:22 pm »

For the bass part of my system, I currently have a Behringer VP1800S subwoofer connected to a Behringer EP2000. The amp is connected to a crossover for filtering the lows out. I have the amp in bridged mode. My subwoofer is 400 watts continuous and 8 ohms. At the moment, my amp can overpower my sub obviously. I wanted to get a second sub of the same kind. My plan was to connect the second sub into the back of the first one (it has parallel input/output) and the first one is connected to the amp in bridged mono mode. If I am correct, this will turn the impedance of the subs into 4 ohms at the amp. My amp will still overpower the subs but I figured it might not be as bad when I turn it up louder in terms of clipping. Is this correct?

Thomas Le

Bridging Subwoofers?
« Reply #1 on: April 01, 2014, 10:28:32 pm »

Edit: I realized I gave wrong information, sorry!
« Last Edit: April 02, 2014, 09:24:06 am by Thomas Le »

Justin Smith

Re: Bridging Subwoofers?
« Reply #2 on: April 01, 2014, 10:41:59 pm »

Yep, you're correct, if you get the same sub and daisy chain it, you will run the amp in a 4 ohm load bridged which means each sub will get 1000w.

Would that be bad though? Because each sub is only rated for 400 watts continuous, 1600 watt peak. It would major overpower them but I guess as long as I don't have it up too loud to where it clips?

Bob Leonard

• Boston, MA USA
« Reply #3 on: April 01, 2014, 11:14:03 pm »

No, this is wrong. If the subs can handle 400 watts then why put yourself in the position where you have 2.5x the power available. This can only lead to problems. According to specs the amp should provide 450 watts with a load of 8 ohms per channel when driven in a stereo/two channel mode. Start by running the speakers in a stereo mode. If the amp clips then you've reached peak output, but more importantly you've also reached the maximum power the cabinets are designed to handle. And lastly, the amp will run cooler, longer and will produce less distortion at higher output levels.
BOSTON STRONG........
Proud Vietnam Veteran

I did a gig for Otis Elevator once. Like every job, it had it's ups and downs.

Justin Smith

« Reply #4 on: April 01, 2014, 11:37:32 pm »

No, this is wrong. If the subs can handle 400 watts then why put yourself in the position where you have 2.5x the power available. This can only lead to problems. According to specs the amp should provide 450 watts with a load of 8 ohms per channel when driven in a stereo/two channel mode. Start by running the speakers in a stereo mode. If the amp clips then you've reached peak output, but more importantly you've also reached the maximum power the cabinets are designed to handle. And lastly, the amp will run cooler, longer and will produce less distortion at higher output levels.

Im not sure stereo mode would work on my system. I would rather keep the subwoofer channel mono so I can keep it on the subwoofer output of my crossover. How come MusciansFriend offers a package with two of these same subs and the same amp. Im guessing that it works like that if you run it in stereo like you said? I could always run it in stereo using the low channels of my crossover but i would much rather keep it on the mono subwoofer output. Any suggestions?

Michael A. Yates

Bridging Subwoofers?
« Reply #5 on: April 02, 2014, 12:15:37 am »

Bob is right... You would not be running your system in stereo Subwoofers I mean) however you would simply just be using one Side of the amp and not both to power the subs... So you would have a free channel on the amp. You can still use the sub out on your crossover and use the other sub in parallel as stated above. You would just be driving one channel and not both bridged. Musicians friends offers a package to run one sub per side of the amp. Not for the amp to be used bridged. Did this answer your question?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
« Last Edit: April 02, 2014, 12:17:43 am by Michael A. Yates »

Conrad Muzoora

• Mbarara, Uganda. www.koolevents.co.ug
    • Kool Events Uganda
« Reply #6 on: April 02, 2014, 01:19:03 am »

Leave everything as it is wired. Flip the input switch from bridge mode to parallel then connect each sub on its own channel of the amp. You will achieve what Bob said without overpowering your subs. The amp will last longer. Besides adding another sub may increase the output by coupling and you may not need that much power to reach the levels you desire!
Conrad
www.kooleventug.com

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Corey Scogin

• Birmingham, AL, US
« Reply #7 on: April 02, 2014, 01:30:52 am »

Maybe a picture can bring further clarity.

Set the amp to parallel mode so that the signal from channel 1 gets sent to channel 2 internally.
Connect the subs 1 per channel.  The EP2000 is only rated 350W / 8 ohm / 0.1%THD.  This puts you on the low end of what the subs are specified to handle but it's certainly safer that way.  If you need more power, get more subs and more amps.

All that said, it should work fine to run it in bridged mode as you originally intended.  The EP2000 is rated on the conservative side at 1300W bridged / 4 ohm / 1%THD... so around 650W/sub.  It's common to power subs with 1.5-2x of their continuous power rating.  The higher power ratings for that amp are "peak power" without any parameters.  I imagine those numbers are just there to make marketing happy.

Justin Smith

« Reply #8 on: April 02, 2014, 02:22:18 pm »

Maybe a picture can bring further clarity.

Set the amp to parallel mode so that the signal from channel 1 gets sent to channel 2 internally.
Connect the subs 1 per channel.  The EP2000 is only rated 350W / 8 ohm / 0.1%THD.  This puts you on the low end of what the subs are specified to handle but it's certainly safer that way.  If you need more power, get more subs and more amps.

All that said, it should work fine to run it in bridged mode as you originally intended.  The EP2000 is rated on the conservative side at 1300W bridged / 4 ohm / 1%THD... so around 650W/sub.  It's common to power subs with 1.5-2x of their continuous power rating.  The higher power ratings for that amp are "peak power" without any parameters.  I imagine those numbers are just there to make marketing happy.

I would rather have my subs overpowered than under powered. I have always heard what you mentioned about powering subs 1.5-2x their continuous power rating and that it is worse for your sub to be underpowered by a low amp because the amp is working harder than the speaker then. So you are saying I should be able to daisy chain them like my first post said and leave it in bridged mode? I mean everything should be ok as long as I don't clip right?

Jerome Malsack

« Reply #9 on: April 02, 2014, 02:36:51 pm »

Not exactly true, because the power can cause the speaker to move out to far or try to pull back to far.  With pulling back to far the speaker voice coil, or center cap could possibly hit the back of the magnet. 

ProSoundWeb Community

« Reply #9 on: April 02, 2014, 02:36:51 pm »

Pages: [1] 2 3 4   Go Up

Page created in 0.156 seconds with 23 queries.