ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: So what's the difference? Speaker size vs. Speaker quantity.  (Read 2625 times)

Sky Miller

Here's the scenario: outdoor venue at an open - air county park. The talent will be all percussion (9 drums) only. Speaker setup will be on a flatbed trailer- stage right and stage left, drums center-stage. All sounds will be triggered and will originate from three drum modules. The modules will be amplified with 3500 watts. My question is: What would be the difference to the audience if the speakers were either 32- 10" speakers (16 on each side), OR 8- 18" speakers (4 on each side)? The focus should be on the "size & quantity" of the speaker(s), not power handling, or frequency response. I want to be able to understand the difference between 3500 watts coming out of 32 10s, as opposed to 3500 watts coming out of 8 18s. Can anyone help me out with this? **** I thought it would ask me for my real name before it posted, but it did not. My real name is Sky Miller.
« Last Edit: April 02, 2014, 05:11:36 am by HammerSlammer »
-HammerSlammer

Steve M Smith

• Isle of Wight - England
Re: So what's the difference? Speaker size vs. Speaker quantity.
« Reply #1 on: April 02, 2014, 05:28:53 am »

**** I thought it would ask me for my real name before it posted, but it did not. My real name is Sky Miller.

A real person will ask you for this very soon!

Steve.

Mark McFarlane

• Middle East
    • Arkose Records
« Reply #2 on: April 02, 2014, 05:46:43 am »

"I want to be able to understand the difference between 3500 watts coming out of 32 10s, as opposed to 3500 watts coming out of 8 18s"

Unfortunately Watts is not a measure of sound pressure level, it is a measure of power, like HP.  A 200HP engine is awesome fast on a motorcycle but not so good in a 6 ton truck.  You are interested in 'how loud' which is sound pressure level, and quality, which is also not a function of watts or speaker size.. 

Without a LOT more details about your specific speaker model numbers in question it is impossible to answer your question, but as a general answer, 1 really good speaker will sound better than 2 less powerful speakers, ignoring audience coverage area issues,..  Search 'comb filtering' on this forum for some enlightenment as to why multiple speakers carrying the same sound don't usually work well.

If you really want 'size and quantity', and good sound, just put up 29 empty boxes and one really good speaker.

And please do change your name, I only responded because your name is in the post body, but that's still taboo.
Mark McFarlane
ARKOSERECORDS
Turn down what's too loud.

Ivan Beaver

• Atlanta GA
« Reply #3 on: April 02, 2014, 07:33:45 am »

Here's the scenario: outdoor venue at an open - air county park. The talent will be all percussion (9 drums) only. Speaker setup will be on a flatbed trailer- stage right and stage left, drums center-stage. All sounds will be triggered and will originate from three drum modules. The modules will be amplified with 3500 watts. My question is: What would be the difference to the audience if the speakers were either 32- 10" speakers (16 on each side), OR 8- 18" speakers (4 on each side)? The focus should be on the "size & quantity" of the speaker(s), not power handling, or frequency response. I want to be able to understand the difference between 3500 watts coming out of 32 10s, as opposed to 3500 watts coming out of 8 18s. Can anyone help me out with this? **** I thought it would ask me for my real name before it posted, but it did not. My real name is Sky Miller.
It is not just the size or the wattage. The sensitivity-freq response-physical alignment and so forth that makes a difference.

A 10" speaker is not a simple thing to describe. Some go much lower in freq than others-but are not as loud.

Are there any midrange speakers or horns in this setup?  If not-I would go with the 10" to hopefully get more HF response.

There is no answer to the question-without knowing a lot more specifics of the particular components involved.
A complex question is easily answered by a simple-easy to understand WRONG answer!

Ivan Beaver
Danley Sound Labs

PHYSICS- NOT FADS!

Mac Kerr

• Old enough to know better
  • Administrator
  • Audio Plumber