ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Shure wireless beta 87a or 87c  (Read 3687 times)

rayrush

Shure wireless beta 87a or 87c
« on: March 30, 2014, 12:05:57 AM »

Hi im looking at these 2 options in wireless for dj work. I am using pgx58 atm and dont like how it has to be so close to speakers mouth and if it deviates it loses volume badly. So the sghure 87a or 87c is what i am looking at in wireless.
Because so many people have different ideas of how they hold the mic specially for speeches i need a mic that is best for this scenario.
So basically it will be used for MC work and speeches with the occasional vocalist. It will occasionally be mounted on a stand for podium use also. Any advice between these 2 mics would be great. Thank you:)

Tim McCulloch

• SR Forums
  • Wichita, Kansas USA
Re: Shure wireless beta 87a or 87c
« Reply #1 on: March 30, 2014, 01:00:44 AM »

Hi im looking at these 2 options in wireless for dj work. I am using pgx58 atm and dont like how it has to be so close to speakers mouth and if it deviates it loses volume badly. So the sghure 87a or 87c is what i am looking at in wireless.
Because so many people have different ideas of how they hold the mic specially for speeches i need a mic that is best for this scenario.
So basically it will be used for MC work and speeches with the occasional vocalist. It will occasionally be mounted on a stand for podium use also. Any advice between these 2 mics would be great. Thank you:)

Welcome to the world of running sound in addition to the rest of your job.

There is no magic microphone.  Sorry.  As Scotty told Captain Kirk "I can't rewrite the laws of physics!"  The distance from the microphone to the sound source obeys the Inverse-Square Law.  Every time the distance between a source and an observer doubles, there is a 6dB drop in energy at the observer's location.  It works the other way: every time the distance is halved, there is a 6dB *increase* in energy.  In a practical manner, if a talker has the mic 3" from his mouth and moves it to 6", you've lost 6dB; if he moves it another 6" (1 foot, total) you lose another 6dB, for an loss of -12dB.  This is why there is no "magic" microphone.  It's physics.

As you move into better wireless, you'll be surprised at how the PGX has 'colored' (that's a nice way of putting it) the audio.  But better audio processing and better RF will not fix your inverse-square problem.

So back to that point about running sound... that's what you'll need to do.

Now, 87a or 87c?  I don't care for either, but of them I'd take the 87c...  But it's not magic.

We have a DJ forum (expect this thread to be moved) where you will get more practical advice.

Have fun, good luck.
"If you're passing on your way, from Palm Springs to L.A., Give a wave to good ol' Dave, Say hello to progress and goodbye to the Moonlight Motor Inn." - Steve Spurgin, Moonlight Motor Inn

John Rutirasiri

« Reply #2 on: April 01, 2014, 04:52:00 AM »

I do a lot of corporate shows with these mics.  IMO both are infinitely better than the SM58 head on your PG system when talking about gain and sensitivity.  The Beta 87A is better against feedback than the 87C, but the 87C is better for people who don't know how to hold mics -- it is more "forgiving" in that respect and will give you reasonable volume no matter how it's held.

Having said that, I think you should check out the SM87A (not beta).  It is cheap ($129 for the replacement head), has almost as good performance as the Beta 87's in terms of sensitivity, and to my ears sound smoother with a less-typed high-end.

Good luck,
JR
ClearImpact Sound & Event Services, Inc.
Sound/Lighting/Corporate A/V

"If it ain't broke, make it better."

ProSoundWeb Community

« Reply #2 on: April 01, 2014, 04:52:00 AM »

Pages: [1]   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.04 seconds with 25 queries.