ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: [1] 2  All   Go Down

Author Topic: A good pro TT  (Read 13061 times)

Gene Flynn

A good pro TT
« on: March 28, 2014, 03:47:18 PM »

Any suggestions for a good pro TT??  It will only be used for playback so no need for anything fancy..
Thanks

Mac Kerr

• Old enough to know better
  • Administrator
  • Audio Plumber
Re: A good pro TT
« Reply #1 on: March 28, 2014, 03:57:31 PM »

Any suggestions for a good pro TT??  It will only be used for playback so no need for anything fancy..
Thanks

What is a TT? I would have thought "Turntable", but you qualified it by saying "It will only be used for playback so need for anything fancy". That implies the ability to do something other than playback, so probably not a turntable.

Mac

Gene Flynn

« Reply #2 on: March 28, 2014, 05:15:59 PM »

What is a TT? I would have thought "Turntable", but you qualified it by saying "It will only be used for playback so need for anything fancy". That implies the ability to do something other than playback, so probably not a turntable.

Mac
Yes Turntable.  I assume that pro DJ TT have other options then just normal playback??  Maybe not??  But im looking for that pro style like DJs use.  I dont want to pay ridiculous money for an audiophile type TT..  Hope I clarified?
Thanks

Nick Enright

• Detroit, MI
« Reply #3 on: March 29, 2014, 10:54:55 AM »

Yes Turntable.  I assume that pro DJ TT have other options then just normal playback??  Maybe not??  But im looking for that pro style like DJs use.  I dont want to pay ridiculous money for an audiophile type TT..  Hope I clarified?
Thanks

DJ turntables are completely manual, not exactly what I would use for playback.

That said the Technics 1200 is the gold standard. With the right cartridge it would be a good home unit.

Used:
http://www.platinum-records.com/index.php?route=product/product&product_id=3135&gclid=CNCZm8P_t70CFc9AMgodrEwAnw

New:
http://www.bhphotovideo.com/bnh/controller/home?O=&sku=441831&gclid=CKaM79r_t70CFYdFMgodCEoAIQ&Q=&is=REG&A=details

Honestly for use in my house I'd try to find a nice old vintage marantz.

good luck.
Nick Enright
Owner / Engineer
Lyve Productions
Detroit, MI

Ray Aberle

• Classic LAB
  • Located in Vancouver, WA (and serves OR-WA-ID-BC)
    • Kelcema Audio
« Reply #4 on: March 29, 2014, 10:56:16 AM »

Thanks
Technics 1200. If you want to go with the industry standard for, like, forever. This will give you full turntable functionality, plus if you ever need to have a DJ use it, they'll be satisfied with it.

(Like Nick said as well. Used they can be found for $300 or so or less.)

-Ray
Kelcema Audio
Regional - Serving Pacific Northwest (OR, WA, ID, BC)

Mac Kerr

• Old enough to know better
  • Administrator
  • Audio Plumber
« Reply #5 on: March 29, 2014, 11:32:14 AM »

Thanks

Is this for actual DJ use, or your home HiFi? For a DJ  the Technics SL1200 has been the go to turntable since the dawn of DJs. Unfortunately it was discontinued a few years ago and the replacement SL1210 is almost $2k. There are cheaper copies, and the Stanton is probably good, they are a go to cartridge for DJs. For you hifi go to your local stereo store and shop around.

Mac

Tommy Peel

• Longview, Texas
« Reply #6 on: March 29, 2014, 12:31:21 PM »

I got one of these(Audio-Technica AT-LP60) last year for my home stereo and have been very happy with it. It's not pro level but great for home Hi-Fi.

Gene Flynn

« Reply #7 on: March 29, 2014, 12:38:15 PM »

I got one of these(Audio-Technica AT-LP60) last year for my home stereo and have been very happy with it. It's not pro level but great for home Hi-Fi.
Its for my gym system..  It needs to have a pretty solid plinth..  I have 6 danley subs on the other side of the wall where the TT will be..   :o

Tommy Peel

• Longview, Texas
« Reply #8 on: March 29, 2014, 01:16:57 PM »

Its for my gym system..  It needs to have a pretty solid plinth..  I have 6 danley subs on the other side of the wall where the TT will be..   :o
You might need something that isolated better. I know this one picks up vibrations pretty easily; not to mention that I think that feedback can be an issue with turntables(I've never had any trouble with my home HiFi but the SPLs are much lower than what it sounds like you are dealing with).

Nick Enright

• Detroit, MI
« Reply #9 on: March 29, 2014, 01:51:40 PM »

I would use the 1200, and build a suspension system for it. feedback is definitely a problem with bass and decks.
Nick Enright
Owner / Engineer
Lyve Productions
Detroit, MI

ProSoundWeb Community

« Reply #9 on: March 29, 2014, 01:51:40 PM »

Pages: [1] 2  All   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.037 seconds with 23 queries.