ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: 1 2 3 [4]   Go Down

Author Topic: turbosound  (Read 14069 times)

Chuck Simon

• Pittsburgh, Pa.
Re: turbosound
« Reply #30 on: April 01, 2014, 02:41:06 PM »

I would bet there are more pro sound companies that will benefit from the new lower prices than will suffer because of it.

I know if I had just bought a Soundcraft Compact weeks before the introduction of the Expression I would probably feel the same as Tim does. Those are the breaks and part of the risk of doing any business that depends on technology.
« Last Edit: April 01, 2014, 02:57:29 PM by Chuck Simon »

Tim McCulloch

• SR Forums
  • Wichita, Kansas USA
« Reply #31 on: April 01, 2014, 02:43:55 PM »

You are not the only professional here and there are probably more pro sound companies that will benefit from the new lower prices than will suffer because of it.

Some will, yes, but others who've helps "make" the brand get a backhanded slap from a business perspective, particularly if there was any debt financing.

"I've got bad news and good news.  The bad news is we just fucked you by devaluing the assets we sold you by 30%; the good news is you can buy cheaper new."

Somehow that doesn't have a cachet of friendliness when the accountants view it.
"If you're passing on your way, from Palm Springs to L.A., Give a wave to good ol' Dave, Say hello to progress and goodbye to the Moonlight Motor Inn." - Steve Spurgin, Moonlight Motor Inn

Chuck Simon

• Pittsburgh, Pa.
« Reply #32 on: April 01, 2014, 02:48:27 PM »

Sorry, Tim, I edited my post and eliminated my quote of your statement while you must have been posting.  I was afraid it would unintentionally demonstrate a lack of respect.
« Last Edit: April 01, 2014, 02:51:30 PM by Chuck Simon »

Tim McCulloch

• SR Forums
  • Wichita, Kansas USA
« Reply #33 on: April 01, 2014, 03:17:28 PM »

Sorry, Tim, I edited my post and eliminated my quote of your statement while you must have been posting.  I was afraid it would unintentionally demonstrate a lack of respect.

Not a problem, Chuck.  What we've done is display how there is always more than one consideration of any event.  In certain positions, the price cut is a financial problem but for others, an opportunity.  I get it, you get it, and we're putting up both sides for the enjoyment of our audience. ;)

There are bigger implications about what this does in our minuscule little industry.  As JR (IIRC) put it, we're a flea on the butt of a very small dog.  Moves by big players have consequences, unintended or not.  While I'm still trying to guess how many more Pro6 or Pro2 they might sell because of the price drop, I'm also trying to figure out why they'd leave money on the table.  It takes a lot of additional unit sales to make up for this kind of reduction.  My guess is that the <Pro X models are about to become Midas' M7, still in the catalog but on their way out as new control surfaces and i/o package wait in the wings.
"If you're passing on your way, from Palm Springs to L.A., Give a wave to good ol' Dave, Say hello to progress and goodbye to the Moonlight Motor Inn." - Steve Spurgin, Moonlight Motor Inn

Peter Morris

« Reply #34 on: April 01, 2014, 09:47:45 PM »

Not a problem, Chuck.  What we've done is display how there is always more than one consideration of any event.  In certain positions, the price cut is a financial problem but for others, an opportunity.  I get it, you get it, and we're putting up both sides for the enjoyment of our audience. ;)

There are bigger implications about what this does in our minuscule little industry.  As JR (IIRC) put it, we're a flea on the butt of a very small dog.  Moves by big players have consequences, unintended or not.  While I'm still trying to guess how many more Pro6 or Pro2 they might sell because of the price drop, I'm also trying to figure out why they'd leave money on the table.  It takes a lot of additional unit sales to make up for this kind of reduction.  My guess is that the <Pro X models are about to become Midas' M7, still in the catalog but on their way out as new control surfaces and i/o package wait in the wings.

Tim,

When Music Group bought Midas and Turbo, Uli was clearly going to streamline the production process and reduce costs.

I own both Turbosound and Midas, the price drop devalues my gear, but I didn’t buy my equipment to resell it, I bought it to hire. When I do eventually sell it, it will have been depreciated for taxation purposes to zero.  Any profit on the sale will then give me a tax bill (I assume your taxation system is similar).

My biggest, and really my only concern is that Uli ensures the continued acceptance of Turbosound (and Midas) in the pro community.

I’m worried he will change models very five minutes, and not provide continued product support - nothing devalues equipment faster than being made obsolete.

I have a Flex array TFA600 rig which has already been deleted from the product range.  There is now a “new model” the TFA104 to replace it. I suspect Turbosound lied and it’s not a new model, just a new name; but from my perspective, it’s not a good start.

I’m also concerned that he will use Turbo’s name to promote his rebadged Behringer products and in doing so, taint the respect the pro world has for Turbosound professional range of speakers.

I think it’s a difficult task to own and promote successfully both MI and Pro speaker systems, but I do sincerely hope that will be the case.

Peter

ProSoundWeb Community

« Reply #34 on: April 01, 2014, 09:47:45 PM »

Pages: 1 2 3 [4]   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.028 seconds with 21 queries.