ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: 1 2 [3] 4   Go Down

Author Topic: turbosound  (Read 14067 times)

Adam S Haro

Re: turbosound
« Reply #20 on: March 31, 2014, 09:18:07 PM »

I noticed the new Turbo iq series powered speakers originally appeared on the Behringer site with Behringer logos but have now been rebadged Turbo. Normally I would feel more confident buying a Turbo product than a Behringer but if they are interchangeable I might be inclined to pass on both.

chuck clark

« Reply #21 on: April 01, 2014, 01:03:30 AM »

The brand I like the least is Behringer. The brand I like best is Turbosound. No wonder I'm bi-polar! :o
  All will be forgiven if they re-introduce the TXD series. The 15 M is like a JBL 712M but with a 15" for more low end, great on bass, keys and -on top of a subwoofer make a lovely compact club system. If they could make the 12" monitor with the same horn so you have a similar sonic character and improve the subs with updated large excursion 18's with 5 or 6" voice coils so they have stupid amounts of output I could add to my current system and be very pleased.
I SOooo hope they don't blow this and come out w/ a bunch of "me too" crap.

Chuck Simon

• Pittsburgh, Pa.
« Reply #22 on: April 01, 2014, 10:01:35 AM »

And a bunch of other brands less near and dear to some forum users...

Think about this, if you'd purchased a Midas Pro6 only 3 months ago and financed it through your bank, you could find yourself having to come up with a big bunch of money, RIGHT NOW, when the value of the collateral fell 30% overnight.

Aside from those considerations a low purchase price, in and of itself, does not equal value to the purchaser.

Does anyone really expect a company to keep prices artificially higher(and less competitive) than they need to be in order to keep old customers happy with their investments?  That's not going to happen, and as technology increases businesses need to plan for it!

Tim McCulloch

• SR Forums
  • Wichita, Kansas USA
« Reply #23 on: April 01, 2014, 12:34:20 PM »

Does anyone really expect a company to keep prices artificially higher(and less competitive) than they need to be in order to keep old customers happy with their investments?  That's not going to happen, and as technology increases businesses need to plan for it!

Getting customers to PAY for changes in technology, in advance, is also more expensive to clients.

Here's the deal - not only did M-G take value off of owner's balance sheets, they made it cheaper for a competitor to use the same gear that current owners paid more to buy.  This is a classic issue in services businesses that depend on technology - make a profit with your current equipment for as long as your market will let you, all the while saving back cash for the next big purchase.  It's a competitive thing.

Say you have a Turbo Flash/Flood rig that's in good shape and has been making your money.  You purchased new, but for the last 10 years you've been taking a smaller fee for it as technology advanced.  I come along with a brand new rig and by matching your price, take your clients because I have "shiny, new".  If you have US$350k invested in capital equipment, starting out I can spend the same amount of money on new gear have have a state of the art system with the same cost basis as your 20 year old rig.  Customers like new stuff, it's a powerful marketing tool.

You're quite right, though, things do change.  That's what makes being in business challenging.
"If you're passing on your way, from Palm Springs to L.A., Give a wave to good ol' Dave, Say hello to progress and goodbye to the Moonlight Motor Inn." - Steve Spurgin, Moonlight Motor Inn

Chris Hindle

• SR Forums
  • Montreal, Quebec, Canada, Earth, Sol System,......
« Reply #24 on: April 01, 2014, 12:38:36 PM »

Is it possible that now the prices are "artifically low" too:
a) Swamp the market
b) Clear unsold stock
in order to prepare for........ ?
And yes, if I bought one a couple weeks/months before a (major) price drop, I'd be pissed, and likely black-list that supplier.
« Last Edit: April 01, 2014, 12:40:58 PM by Chris Hindle »
Ya, Whatever. Just throw a '57 on it, and get off my stage.

Chuck Simon

• Pittsburgh, Pa.
« Reply #25 on: April 01, 2014, 12:42:47 PM »

You can't expect a manufacturer to be more concerned about your profits than their own.
« Last Edit: April 01, 2014, 02:36:32 PM by Chuck Simon »

Tim McCulloch

• SR Forums
  • Wichita, Kansas USA
« Reply #26 on: April 01, 2014, 12:56:12 PM »

You can't expect a manufacturer to be more concerned about your profits than theirs own.

I knew we'd get to this point, in fact I almost went there in my previous post.

The question then, is how does M-G benefit from cutting prices at Midas?  More unit sales?  Maybe, but they pissed on a big chunk of their existing professional user base, those folks who've paid a premium price over the last 30 years to support the brand.  To me that's a bad strategy, but perhaps they'll compensate by offering a trade-up/trade-in to existing customers.  I know that if we'd purchased a Pro6 and found ourselves "under water" on the note because the manufacturer slashed 30% of value, I'd be inclined to dis-consider that brand for further purchases.

YMMV, etc.

But this is probably a moot issue here in the Lounge.  My employer expects me to make him a profit and keep his balance sheet happy.  Those are considerations that many participants in this forum don't have, or that those considerations can be sublimated as desired.  I manage a business with multiple employees, trucking, company owned physical plant, and a lot of high tech gear.  And the boss's wife (controller/treasurer) holds my feet to the fire on business performance; in some ways she's much tougher than her husband.

So maybe this doesn't belong here in the land of unicorns and cheap gear that allows the marginally competent to ankle-bite our gigs and never make a profit, because for so many their 'business' is actually a hobby.
"If you're passing on your way, from Palm Springs to L.A., Give a wave to good ol' Dave, Say hello to progress and goodbye to the Moonlight Motor Inn." - Steve Spurgin, Moonlight Motor Inn

Ray Aberle

• Classic LAB
  • Located in Vancouver, WA (and serves OR-WA-ID-BC)
    • Kelcema Audio
« Reply #27 on: April 01, 2014, 12:58:22 PM »

You can't expect a manufacturer to be more concerned about your profits than theirs own.

No, but at the same time, your choice(s) of what manufacturer(s) to support will affect their profit. If people stop purchasing M-G owned brands, you can be damn certain they will do whatever it took to change that!

Is it possible that now the prices are "artifically low" too:
a) Swamp the market
b) Clear unsold stock
in order to prepare for........ ?
And yes, if I bought one a couple weeks/months before a (major) price drop, I'd be pissed, and likely black-list that supplier.

Clearing unsold stock, cute. But to swamp the market? It's almost like the situation Tim mentioned, about coming in with shiny new toys and getting clients because you have something new. We get upset when "ankle biters" come in and underbid a show at a price that is just not sustainable-- and rightfully so-- and that's almost what they're doing there. Undercutting the market to get more marketshare. The problem with lowering prices is that is's hard to then raise them again without a clear defined benefit to the price increase. So, they'll need to launch new consoles that are f'ingly amazingly better then anything they have now in order to justify a retail that's closer to what they were at before these drops. When a manufacturer launches a new product, there's a certain amount of R&D investment they need to recoup-- and so they either need to sell a few consoles that are REALLY EXPENSIVE, or a bunch that might not be making them quite as much each, but they'll make it up in quantity sold.

So, M-G may just have reached the point where their investment has paid for itself, they don't need as much per console, and want to get ready for the "Next Big Thing."

-Ray

[Haha. Tim said pretty much the same thing, as I was typing my post.]
Kelcema Audio
Regional - Serving Pacific Northwest (OR, WA, ID, BC)

Rick Alan

« Reply #28 on: April 01, 2014, 01:04:32 PM »

Little bird told me Music Group has taken all of Turbosound's blue prints and cad designs to the Behringer China plant for manufacturing.   

Ray Aberle

• Classic LAB
  • Located in Vancouver, WA (and serves OR-WA-ID-BC)
    • Kelcema Audio
« Reply #29 on: April 01, 2014, 01:16:18 PM »

Little bird told me Music Group has taken all of Turbosound's blue prints and cad designs to the Behringer China plant for manufacturing.
All I can think of now when people say "a little bird told me" is... "you heard it on Twitter?"

-Ray
Kelcema Audio
Regional - Serving Pacific Northwest (OR, WA, ID, BC)

ProSoundWeb Community

« Reply #29 on: April 01, 2014, 01:16:18 PM »

Pages: 1 2 [3] 4   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.057 seconds with 20 queries.