ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: 1 [2]  All   Go Down

Author Topic: Running Live Sound Problem  (Read 7026 times)

Guy Graham

Re: Running Live Sound Problem
« Reply #10 on: March 27, 2014, 11:02:28 AM »

When running live sound for many groups at one sing.  They use laptops for there music and when they plug in and unplug it makes a loud pop.  Is there anything that I can plug in to the cord that they plug into the laptops  that would cancel that pop. I try too mute that channel but sometimes they unplug it before I get muted.

From my experience volunteering with local authority and charitable organisations, I sympathise. Due to the nature of these projects as intended to benefit underprivilaged and sometimes challenging types of people, it is not acceptable to speak to service users as you might in a commercial environment.

Whilst keeping the equipment in decent condition is a concern of those in charge in the places I volunteer, any negative or critical language used towards clients who do not respect the equipment at their disposal is usually challenged, hence it can be very difficult to ensure kit is used correctly and in such a way that it will continue to function and consequently be available for their use in the future.

Whilst it is obviously possible to constantly positively reinforce the message regarding proper use of equipment, it is not always 100% effective. Hence all the projects I have volunteered at have assets whose functionality has been compromised; it still frustrates me - but I understand the rules. I would say that I have learned a lot about framing communications correctly and tailoring my language and tone to the recipient, but have learned regardless of how you express the message there are still some people either incapable or unwilling to properly consider the greater good of everyone.

Tim McCulloch

• SR Forums
  • Wichita, Kansas USA
« Reply #11 on: March 27, 2014, 03:03:23 PM »

Talk to them beforehand, designate 1 person as the unplugger, be sure to make eye contact and give him the thumbs up when it's ok to unplug.

This.
"If you're passing on your way, from Palm Springs to L.A., Give a wave to good ol' Dave, Say hello to progress and goodbye to the Moonlight Motor Inn." - Steve Spurgin, Moonlight Motor Inn

Edgar Hernandez

• It’s all about the experience...
« Reply #12 on: March 27, 2014, 03:09:55 PM »

When running live sound for many groups at one sing.  They use laptops for there music and when they plug in and unplug it makes a loud pop.  Is there anything that I can plug in to the cord that they plug into the laptops  that would cancel that pop. I try too mute that channel but sometimes they unplug it before I get muted.

I would use this cable
http://www.rivercable.com/apx-guitar.asp
with adapters

Of course; after nothing else above worked

Cosmo

• SR Forums
  • Northern Colorado, USA
« Reply #13 on: March 27, 2014, 05:22:30 PM »

If they are capable of operating a switch, you could try one or two of these, with DI box(es) of course.

http://www.sweetwater.com/store/detail/MSW20?utm_source=CSE&utm_medium=PPC&zmap=MSW20&zmac

If a man does not keep pace with his companions, perhaps it is because he hears a different drummer.  Let him step to the music he hears, however measured or far away.  - H.D. Thoreau

Craig Hamilton

« Reply #14 on: March 28, 2014, 12:31:42 AM »

Im starting to think Radial needs to make a di with a big mute button on it. Kinda like a mute pedal, di combo.

Tim McCulloch

• SR Forums
  • Wichita, Kansas USA
« Reply #15 on: March 28, 2014, 08:38:57 AM »

Im starting to think Radial needs to make a di with a big mute button on it. Kinda like a mute pedal, di combo.

I like the idea, but in this case if someone will just jerk the 3.5mm connector out of a headphone jack, they'll completely miss the mute button, too.

I still submit this is at least a partial failure of the console operator.  Last song per singer, cue the lappy up in the cans, and as soon as the music fades, pull down the fader.

If that can't work, post an assistant to do it for the "talent".
"If you're passing on your way, from Palm Springs to L.A., Give a wave to good ol' Dave, Say hello to progress and goodbye to the Moonlight Motor Inn." - Steve Spurgin, Moonlight Motor Inn

Cailen Waddell

« Reply #16 on: March 28, 2014, 09:16:41 AM »

I like the idea, but in this case if someone will just jerk the 3.5mm connector out of a headphone jack, they'll completely miss the mute button, too.

I still submit this is at least a partial failure of the console operator.  Last song per singer, cue the lappy up in the cans, and as soon as the music fades, pull down the fader.

If that can't work, post an assistant to do it for the "talent".

Yes - this is a personnel problem.

James A. Griffin

« Reply #17 on: March 28, 2014, 09:45:24 AM »

You need to tell them to NOT do that.  End of story.

And it's YOUR job to mute the channels first.

This is a human problem, not an equipment issue.

+1.   I'd love to have a team of robots to unload my truck.     Notwithstanding the many benefits of current technology,  there is not going to be a new gadget to do everything you are supposed to be doing yourself.
I need to determine where in this swamp of unbalanced formulas squatteth the Toad of Truth

David Lovrien

• Dallas, TX
« Reply #18 on: March 31, 2014, 04:31:52 PM »

I would use this cable
http://www.rivercable.com/apx-guitar.asp
with adapters
Of course; after nothing else above worked
Very cool idea.  No need to pay $50 for it though... B&H has just the Neutrik SilentPLUG adapter for under $9...

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/bnh/controller/home?O=&sku=900357&gclid=CJH41LnOvb0CFfFFMgod7wcACQ&Q=&is=REG&A=details

James A. Griffin

« Reply #19 on: March 31, 2014, 04:36:20 PM »

Very cool idea.  No need to pay $50 for it though... B&H has just the Neutrik SilentPLUG adapter for under $9...

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/bnh/controller/home?O=&sku=900357&gclid=CJH41LnOvb0CFfFFMgod7wcACQ&Q=&is=REG&A=details

Neither that cable nor the one mentioned by Edgar solve the problem.  Those are 1/4" TS.  He needs a 1/8" TRS coming out of the laptop.     
I need to determine where in this swamp of unbalanced formulas squatteth the Toad of Truth

ProSoundWeb Community

« Reply #19 on: March 31, 2014, 04:36:20 PM »

Pages: 1 [2]  All   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.033 seconds with 25 queries.