ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: projector pilot light  (Read 4071 times)

Stephen Swaffer

projector pilot light
« on: March 25, 2014, 09:32:06 PM »

Is there a simple way to add a "pilot" indicator to an installed projector?  We do not use the projector every service, and often it is used for only a few minutes at the beginning of a service, so it is easy to leave it on-especially with more than one person operating AV equipment.  With our setup, there is no visual indication in the media booth that it s on.

Power is from a circuit that does not come near the media booth-the only connections we hve are a composite video and a VGA, besides the remote.  I was thinking along the lines, since our computer senses the display when the projector is on, is there a device that would sense that and give me an output of some sort?
Steve Swaffer

Jordan Wolf

Re: projector pilot light
« Reply #1 on: March 25, 2014, 09:59:44 PM »

You could network the projector control to the computer, and allow power on/off to be done from the computer program.
Jordan Wolf
<><

"We want our sound to go into the soul of the audience, and see if it can awaken some little thing in their minds... Cause there are so many sleeping people." - Jimi Hendrix

Lee Douglas

• 47.662615, -116.756954
« Reply #2 on: March 25, 2014, 11:15:38 PM »

Many projectors have a 12VDC trigger out for lowering a screen and other activation needs.  This could be ran back to the booth to an indicator.  Just be sure your indicator doesn't exceed the amperage rating on the output or that you use a relay to trigger higher output requirements.  You may need to enable and set up that output in the projectors menu.  That's down and dirty.  If you can network your projector, as mentioned above, you'll be able to get a lot more information from your hard to reach projector through it's interface, such as bulb life and filter condition, as well as being able to turn it on and off.
This space for rent

Brad Weber

• Marietta, GA
« Reply #3 on: March 26, 2014, 09:45:46 AM »

It might help to know what projector you have in order to determine what forms of control or status feedback it may directly support.

Stephen Swaffer

« Reply #4 on: March 26, 2014, 01:35:44 PM »

I will check the model-but if I am running another wire, it would be a simple matter for me to install a current sensing relay, with the trigger level set above standby current draw, so it would activate when the lamp was on.  I was hoping for a lazy way out:)
Steve Swaffer

Lee Douglas

• 47.662615, -116.756954
« Reply #5 on: March 26, 2014, 05:03:27 PM »

I will check the model-but if I am running another wire, it would be a simple matter for me to install a current sensing relay, with the trigger level set above standby current draw, so it would activate when the lamp was on.  I was hoping for a lazy way out:)

If you're gonna run a wire, run an un-terminated cat5 or cat6 cable.  That way the next guy can also be lazy as well and use it for a network cable.  It will still work for a dry contact or low power circuit.
This space for rent

Brad Weber

• Marietta, GA
« Reply #6 on: April 04, 2014, 09:03:46 AM »

Some years ago I worked with a number of projectors and current sensing devices with very mixed success.  It was no problem to determine when the lamp was on or off but not always possible to reliably sense the difference between just fans on during cool down and standby.  We found using serial or network control where we could get status back from the projector to be much more reliable.

Jonathan Johnson

• Southwest Washington (state, not DC)
« Reply #7 on: April 14, 2014, 02:09:57 AM »

If the projector itself is visible from the media booth, you may be able to attach a prism (or even cruder, a piece of aluminum foil as a reflector) to the onboard indicator so you can see it from the booth.
Stop confusing the issue with facts and logic!

ProSoundWeb Community

« Reply #7 on: April 14, 2014, 02:09:57 AM »

Pages: [1]   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.025 seconds with 24 queries.