ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: [1] 2  All   Go Down

Author Topic: Push to talk switch…Whirlwind...  (Read 8405 times)

Kellen Tyburski

• Kellen Tyburski | Audio Engineering
Push to talk switch…Whirlwind...
« on: March 22, 2014, 03:51:45 PM »

Hey all,

Has anyone used the Whirlwind MicMute-PTD? I am looking for a switch where when it is depressed and held down, the signal is turned on and passed through to the output. The signal is disconnected as soon as the switch is released.

if you have used this one, is it quiet? Needs to not be heard over records

any other suggestions for switches you guys have used? Trying to stay away from "foot" switch type stuff. This needs to be used by clients for VOG's, etc.

KT

KT

Mac Kerr

• Old enough to know better
  • Administrator
  • Audio Plumber
Re: Push to talk switch…Whirlwind...
« Reply #1 on: March 22, 2014, 03:59:33 PM »

Hey all,

Has anyone used the Whirlwind MicMute-PTD? I am looking for a switch where when it is depressed and held down, the signal is turned on and passed through to the output. The signal is disconnected as soon as the switch is released.

any other suggestions for switches you guys have used? Trying to stay away from "foot" switch type stuff. This needs to be used by clients for VOG's, etc.

KT

Sennheiser 835S

It is what I use for all live VOs. The switch is quieter than the switch on a 431. I don't give them a stand, so they have to pick the mic up and switch it.

Mac

Kellen Tyburski

• Kellen Tyburski | Audio Engineering
« Reply #2 on: March 22, 2014, 05:37:18 PM »

Sennheiser 835S

It is what I use for all live VOs. The switch is quieter than the switch on a 431. I don't give them a stand, so they have to pick the mic up and switch it.

Mac

Thanks Mac, will look into it. Still pretty set on some sort of switch. Why is it you prefer it this way?

KT

TonyWilliams

• Nashville, TN
    • Blog
« Reply #3 on: March 22, 2014, 05:45:39 PM »

Mac Kerr

• Old enough to know better
  • Administrator
  • Audio Plumber
« Reply #4 on: March 22, 2014, 06:06:19 PM »

Thanks Mac, will look into it. Still pretty set on some sort of switch. Why is it you prefer it this way?

When they pick up the mic, and hold it so they can operate the switch, they naturally speak into the end of it. With a mic on a stand and a PTT switch it is too easy to sit back, or not address the mic.

Mac

Scott Hofmann

« Reply #5 on: March 22, 2014, 10:48:29 PM »

The Audio-Technica AT8684 UniMute box will do this. It has XLR's for mic in and out, and connector for an external switch. Runs on phantom power from the mic input. Just use a normally-closed switch to make it work like you want.
« Last Edit: March 22, 2014, 10:52:30 PM by Scott Hofmann »
Scott Hofmann

Jerome Malsack

« Reply #6 on: March 25, 2014, 08:34:31 AM »

The Audio-Technica AT8684 UniMute box will do this. It has XLR's for mic in and out, and connector for an external switch. Runs on phantom power from the mic input. Just use a normally-closed switch to make it work like you want.

Add in a sheet of plywood  and a micro switch under the plywood base and you have a switch that activates when someone steps up to the mic. 

or   Grateful Dead and Dave Mathews use with home alarm system sensors. 

Jonathan Kok

• Toronto
« Reply #7 on: March 25, 2014, 03:52:26 PM »

Add in a sheet of plywood  and a micro switch under the plywood base and you have a switch that activates when someone steps up to the mic. 

or   Grateful Dead and Dave Mathews use with home alarm system sensors.
Hmmm...this intrigues me.

I've got a situation where it might be handy for the microphone to unmute so long as someone's touching it. I wonder if there's a way to do that, utilizing the switching found in those 'touch to turn on' lamps?

Must do more research...

Taylor Hall

« Reply #8 on: March 25, 2014, 04:26:04 PM »

I actually stumbled on this a few days ago while looking for something else. Seems kinda clunky, but at least someone is addressing the issue wit ha product.

http://www.optogateonline.com/products.html
There are two ways to do anything:
1) Do it right
2) Do it over until you do it right

Richard Turner

« Reply #9 on: April 02, 2014, 04:22:34 PM »

Hey all,

KT

http://www.radialeng.com/hotshotdm1.php

street price about $90, wery versatile, can be used as mic on / off, cough button, or add fx loop, create a talkback loop
Looking at retiring. Local PA market has shrank to 2 guys with guitars and bose l1 compacts or expecting full line array and 16 movers on stage for $300... no middle left going back to event DJ stuff, half the work for twice the pay.

ProSoundWeb Community

« Reply #9 on: April 02, 2014, 04:22:34 PM »

Pages: [1] 2  All   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.044 seconds with 25 queries.