ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Projector upgrade to something corporate friendly.  (Read 3455 times)

Chris Edwards

Projector upgrade to something corporate friendly.
« on: April 03, 2014, 05:24:51 PM »

Hey Folks,

I've been using various Benq projectors for smaller weddings and corporate presentations.  They range from 2500-3500 lumens.  I am projection on front and rear projection screens from 5' x 7' to 6' x 8'.  Things have been solid for most events but I have had some where I definitely needed more output. 

My questions are...

What is the next step up?  5000? 6000 lumen?  10K seems a bit much though.

What would handle screens sizes up to 10' x 14 in a ballroom with moderate lighting?

Do I go XGA, WXGA, etc?

Any recommended brands?  Christie, NEC, Panasonic, etc?

I am pretty much set on getting a unit with interchangeable lenses and then renting what I need lens wise when necessary.

Thanks in advance for any guidance.

Brad Weber

• Marietta, GA
Re: Projector upgrade to something corporate friendly.
« Reply #1 on: April 03, 2014, 06:39:08 PM »

Assuming a 4:3 format (10'x13.33' or 10.4'x14') that's about 3 times the image area of your current 6'x8' screens, so to get the same image brightness as you currently get with your 2,500-3,500 lumen projectors would require somewhere around 7,500 to 10,000 lumens.

I personally see most things moving to 16:9 format.  I also would rather pillarbox a 4:3 image on a 16:9 screen than letterbox a 16:9 image on a 4:3 screen as that allows the image height, and thus the associated viewing distances, to remain the same.  However, a 10'x17.78' image is around 3.7 times the image area as a 6'x8' screen and thus would require about 9,000 to 13,000 lumens to achieve the same image brightness as you currently have.

Jordan Wolf

« Reply #2 on: April 07, 2014, 09:48:29 AM »

Chris,

I agree with Brad - I typically use 10ks with screens that size.  I've used 7.5ks with 10.5x14 size surfaces, and for the ambient light situation, it was fine.

You also don't need as high-output of a projector if you can limit the amount of ambient light that hits the screen and also affects the audience area.  The light you want vs. the light you don't...

« Last Edit: April 07, 2014, 09:50:52 AM by Jordan Wolf »
Jordan Wolf
<><

"We want our sound to go into the soul of the audience, and see if it can awaken some little thing in their minds... Cause there are so many sleeping people." - Jimi Hendrix

Sean Hayes

« Reply #3 on: April 14, 2014, 09:10:37 AM »

Chris,

I have used and been happy with Christie LX700 (7K XGA) on 10.5x14, but only if you can control ambient light. (IMO a 7k on a 9x12 is just about the perfect brightness.) The 7k range is absolutely the most used projector in our rental inventory.

If you want to step up and be prepared for 16:9 then the Christie LHD is an excellent choice.

I think your idea of renting the lens that you need per show is an excellent idea. I do, however recommend owning a standard throw and a .8 to always have available in case a rental comes up at the last minute.

I also have some smaller Panasonics in stock in the 4k range. They are great breakout projectors but we have used them in small ballrooms with 6x8s and been happy.

Sean
Sean T. Hayes

ProSoundWeb Community

« Reply #3 on: April 14, 2014, 09:10:37 AM »

Pages: [1]   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.02 seconds with 25 queries.