ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: PC to MAC switch  (Read 3216 times)

Stephen Swaffer

PC to MAC switch
« on: March 20, 2014, 01:35:15 PM »

We are planning a transition from using a PC for AV at church to Mac.  Mainly driven by the fact that we have gone to Apple products everywhere else.  Perhaps the biggest hurdle to overcome is that we have been using Cakewalk for DAW software-and it does not have a Mac version.  Learning new software doesn't bother me, but we have a large archive of Cakewalk projects that we would like to keep available for future use (and yes I want the project files-clip info etc).  Is there another product that can read or convert Cakewalk projects? 
Steve Swaffer

Jeff Carter

• Kitchener, ON, Canada
Re: PC to MAC switch
« Reply #1 on: March 20, 2014, 03:27:24 PM »

We are planning a transition from using a PC for AV at church to Mac.  Mainly driven by the fact that we have gone to Apple products everywhere else.  Perhaps the biggest hurdle to overcome is that we have been using Cakewalk for DAW software-and it does not have a Mac version.  Learning new software doesn't bother me, but we have a large archive of Cakewalk projects that we would like to keep available for future use (and yes I want the project files-clip info etc).  Is there another product that can read or convert Cakewalk projects?

It may be possible to run your existing version of Cakewalk on a Mac using something like Parallels or Boot Camp. Something to look into.

What DAW are you planning to use on the Mac?
Mothers, don't let your babies grow up to be physics PhDs

Stephen Swaffer

« Reply #2 on: March 21, 2014, 05:42:48 PM »

Still shopping-that is why I am asking-ability to read my Cakewalk projects would be a huge plus.  Otherwise, there are features on Ableton Live that would be very useful for our purposes.

Right now it mainly used for recording services, and editing audio for our annual Live Animal Christmas production.  That would be my use for it; however, we have a few very talented musicians, and if they decide to put together orchestration for songs or write background music for play scenes, it would be nice to use the same platform ministry wide.
Steve Swaffer

Jonathan Johnson

• Southwest Washington (state, not DC)
« Reply #3 on: April 14, 2014, 02:21:42 AM »

It may be possible to run your existing version of Cakewalk on a Mac using something like Parallels or Boot Camp. Something to look into.

I am not a Mac expert, and certainly not well-versed in Parallels. Having a fair amount of experience with virtualization on PC platforms, I suspect that you may find difficulty with recording and playback within Parallels beyond simple 2-channel as most virtualization products have very limited support for hardware passthrough.

Boot Camp will probably work since Windows would be running natively on the hardware. But doesn't that kind of defeat the purpose of going to the Mac?

Even so, you should be able to run Cakewalk in Parallels or VMWare Fusion for editing existing content, which could be exported to WAV files and imported into other software.
Stop confusing the issue with facts and logic!

Jeff Carter

• Kitchener, ON, Canada
« Reply #4 on: April 14, 2014, 09:52:11 AM »

I am not a Mac expert, and certainly not well-versed in Parallels. Having a fair amount of experience with virtualization on PC platforms, I suspect that you may find difficulty with recording and playback within Parallels beyond simple 2-channel as most virtualization products have very limited support for hardware passthrough.

I'm not a Mac expert either. My thought was more that the current version of Cakewalk could be run on Parallels or Boot Camp as necessary to retrieve archival audio in the Cakewalk projects and export it, with a DAW run natively on OS X used for any playback/recording.
Mothers, don't let your babies grow up to be physics PhDs

ProSoundWeb Community

« Reply #4 on: April 14, 2014, 09:52:11 AM »

Pages: [1]   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.041 seconds with 22 queries.