ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: 1 [2]  All   Go Down

Author Topic: Subwoofer advice for a small church  (Read 18664 times)

g'bye, Dick Rees

• Duluth
Re: Subwoofer advice for a small church
« Reply #10 on: March 24, 2014, 12:37:46 PM »

Hi Dick,

The bass player would use a SWR 15 combo amp. You're right in that it alone can provide enough sound for the bass guitar to be heard.

A sub would help to "warm up" the sound by providing some LF reinforcement.

However, we also want to provide LF reinforcement for the kick drum and some keyboard stuff.

I'm also keeping cost and simplicity of use in mind, since we have entirely volunteer sound techs operating the equipment.

Yes, a small sub would help on the keyboard(s).  But kick drum impact resides as much in the tops as any subs as a lot of the content is actually above 100hz.  I doubt that you'd need very much LF help on the kick...not as much as on the keyboard, anyhow.

Sounds like you've got a pretty good handle on your needs.  I'd just throw in the bit about the kick drum as a possible point for further consideration.
Pay no attention to the man behind the curtain...

Adam Kurihara

« Reply #11 on: March 24, 2014, 12:41:15 PM »

Also, let me add that what I'm really looking for is the smoothest, warmest, least abrasive sound we can get.

I'm also looking at three other 1x18s:
JBL PRX168S-XLF
QSC KW 181
EV ELX 118P

mixed reviews out there...

Brad Weber

• Marietta, GA
« Reply #12 on: March 28, 2014, 01:35:21 PM »

Hi All,I am leaning towards a 2x12" or a 1x15" powered sub. We do not have an external crossover, but will be routing bass, keyboards, and kick drum through the subwoofer through an aux channel.
If you do not high pass filter the mains then the mains will still try to reproduce the LF content of the sources routed to them and with flown mains and subs on the floor that may not provide the desired results.   If you add subs then I would really consider an approach that both low pass filters the subwoofers and high pass filters the mains (which is what a crossover does), even if that means having the subs and mains off the same mixer output(s) rather than using aux fed subs.

You mentioned wanting to keep the system operation simple for volunteer operators.  You also noted that the bass amp can carry the room and you just want to "warm up" the LF response.  It's a bit difficult to judge without knowing what your main speakers are or their performance but I have to wonder if a decent equalizer might help you more than adding an aux fed subwoofer.

John Rutirasiri

« Reply #13 on: April 02, 2014, 02:02:04 AM »

Hi All,

I'm looking for some advice on purchasing a powered subwoofer for a church.

Here are the relevant details:
Our sanctuary seats ~200 people

We currently have two un-branded (someone made them years ago) flown mains. They sound nice. He also made some monitors.

Here is our current gear:

Gemini XKB 1600 watt powers the mains
[http://www.whybuynew.co.uk/dj-equipment/dj-amplifiers/gemini-xpb-1600-power-amplifier-.htm]

InterM R300 powers the stage monitors [https://www.stageservicesshop.com/shop/product.php?productid=16540]

Mackie SR24-4-2 4 bus mixing console
http://www.amazon.com/Mackie-SR24-4-VLZ-24-Channel-Mixer/dp/B0002E50TA

The space is actually fine for any size subwoofer. A large pulpit and rail block a section in the front of the worship space that could fit any size subwoofer we need. No space or weight restrictions.

I am leaning towards a 2x12" or a 1x15" powered sub. We do not have an external crossover, but will be routing bass, keyboards, and kick drum through the subwoofer through an aux channel.

The ones from Yorkville seem pretty good (LS720P or LS710P) - though they don't have a true crossover.
QSC KSub seems okay too, but pricier than the Yorkville.
People seem to like the Danley. TH115 or TH212 might be a good size, but I can't get a price.
I could also buy a gemini 15" to match the brand of the main amplifier (DJ GVX-SUB15P). Seems unnecessary to match the brand though.

Any other suggestions?

Ideal budget is ~$800.

Thanks for your advice!

The Danley TH115 price will be at least 2.5x your budget, and that's for a non-powered version.  But boy is it worth it.  Actually I recommend the TH118 for a bit more low-end.

For about double your budget, you can get JTR Orbit Shifter, which is in the same class as the TH118.

I also like the Grund Audio GT3600CX and the LPB36CX for the money.

Good luck,
JR

P.S. No Gemini, please.
ClearImpact Sound & Event Services, Inc.
Sound/Lighting/Corporate A/V

"If it ain't broke, make it better."

ProSoundWeb Community

« Reply #13 on: April 02, 2014, 02:02:04 AM »

Pages: 1 [2]  All   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.032 seconds with 24 queries.