ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: 1 [2] 3   Go Down

Author Topic: How do you secure gear in a house sound installation?  (Read 9614 times)

Jamin Lynch

• Corpus Christi, TX.
Re: How do you secure gear in a house sound installation?
« Reply #10 on: March 19, 2014, 01:29:52 PM »

It's OK for everybody to play with your gear, but just try to mess with the DJ's gear or go behind the bar and mix your own drink and see what happens

Ray Aberle

• Classic LAB
  • Located in Vancouver, WA (and serves OR-WA-ID-BC)
    • Kelcema Audio
« Reply #11 on: March 19, 2014, 05:23:47 PM »

It's OK for everybody to play with your gear, but just try to mess with the DJ's gear or go behind the bar and mix your own drink and see what happens
Yeah, but the access to/pouring of alcohol is a legal thing above anything else... need to have that pesky license to pour liquor-- well at least that is how it is here in the PNW.
Kelcema Audio
Regional - Serving Pacific Northwest (OR, WA, ID, BC)

Tim McCulloch

• SR Forums
  • Wichita, Kansas USA
« Reply #12 on: March 20, 2014, 08:09:47 AM »

In Kansas it is illegal for non-employees to go behind a bar or dispense adult beverages.  I think that is nearly universal in the USA, but I could be wrong.
"If you're passing on your way, from Palm Springs to L.A., Give a wave to good ol' Dave, Say hello to progress and goodbye to the Moonlight Motor Inn." - Steve Spurgin, Moonlight Motor Inn

Jamin Lynch

• Corpus Christi, TX.
« Reply #13 on: March 20, 2014, 12:22:23 PM »

In Kansas it is illegal for non-employees to go behind a bar or dispense adult beverages.  I think that is nearly universal in the USA, but I could be wrong.

Yes, of coarse. My point is that it seems to be OK for any old bar person to turn on and mess with your system when your not there.

I'm purposing a new law....must have license to operate sound system.

Tim McCulloch

• SR Forums
  • Wichita, Kansas USA
« Reply #14 on: March 22, 2014, 01:24:37 PM »

Yes, of coarse. My point is that it seems to be OK for any old bar person to turn on and mess with your system when your not there.

I'm purposing a new law....must have license to operate sound system.

NP, I got your intent the first time.  My point is that the bar has a legal, statutory leg to stand on; in theory they could lose their liquor license over it.  At best we have a civil contract that governs the relationship of honest parties.
"If you're passing on your way, from Palm Springs to L.A., Give a wave to good ol' Dave, Say hello to progress and goodbye to the Moonlight Motor Inn." - Steve Spurgin, Moonlight Motor Inn

Jason Lavoie

« Reply #15 on: March 23, 2014, 09:11:30 PM »

This:
http://canada.newark.com/productimages/standard/en_US/4582046.jpg

Depending on your power configuration, you should be able to lock up at least enough pieces to render the system unusable.. as long as everything isn't on a IEC cable.

Jason

Craig Hamilton

« Reply #16 on: March 29, 2014, 11:18:14 PM »

Also - if the club goes under how do you get your gear back?

I say sell the club the gear needed to complete the system so it is functional with a pair of xlr inputs and then contract with them to provide the mixer and mics necessary for live band production and take that gear home with you each week. They can choose to let others plug into the house system and its not your problem if anything happens to their equipment outside the nights you use it.

John Jackson

« Reply #17 on: March 30, 2014, 02:23:44 PM »

I say sell the club the gear needed to complete the system so it is functional with a pair of xlr inputs and then contract with them to provide the mixer and mics necessary for live band production and take that gear home with you each week. They can choose to let others plug into the house system and its not your problem if anything happens to their equipment outside the nights you use it.

That is a great idea, and that is what we orally agreed to when I started communicating with them. But then they didn't want to buy enough amps and asked if I could "make do" with less than half the amps needed to run the system.

We got down the the wire of 10 days before a gig, so I asked the co-owner if they could just pay me another $40 per night if I provide the amps along with an additional set of subs, and she agreed. Then they cancelled the bands that were booked and said they weren't opening until May 1st - after I went and bought the amps! I was expecting to get a return on investment by now.

The way it stands right now, I have no definite date of when I can get in there to start making a return on my investment - and I still need to purchase another $2,300 worth of subs and amps to get their rig up to par. I could spend $500 less than that and start booking sound gigs again.
« Last Edit: March 30, 2014, 02:55:07 PM by John Jackson »

frank kayser

• Maryland suburbs of Washington DC
« Reply #18 on: March 30, 2014, 03:55:30 PM »

That is a great idea, and that is what we orally agreed to when I started communicating with them. But then they didn't want to buy enough amps and asked if I could "make do" with less than half the amps needed to run the system.

We got down the the wire of 10 days before a gig, so I asked the co-owner if they could just pay me another $40 per night if I provide the amps along with an additional set of subs, and she agreed. Then they cancelled the bands that were booked and said they weren't opening until May 1st - after I went and bought the amps! I was expecting to get a return on investment by now.

The way it stands right now, I have no definite date of when I can get in there to start making a return on my investment - and I still need to purchase another $2,300 worth of subs and amps to get their rig up to par. I could spend $500 less than that and start booking sound gigs again.

Sorry to hear the job fell through after your investment.  Somehow, I'm not overly surprised. Any kind of business has its risks. 

John Jackson

« Reply #19 on: March 30, 2014, 05:06:51 PM »

Sorry to hear the job fell through after your investment.  Somehow, I'm not overly surprised. Any kind of business has its risks.

It hasn't fallen though. They just changed the game plan on me.

ProSoundWeb Community

« Reply #19 on: March 30, 2014, 05:06:51 PM »

Pages: 1 [2] 3   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.042 seconds with 24 queries.