ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: 1 [2]  All   Go Down

Author Topic: Suggestions for a small cd player?  (Read 6877 times)

Robert Piascik

• Westerville, OH (near Columbus)
Re: Suggestions for a small cd player?
« Reply #10 on: March 17, 2014, 04:15:08 PM »

But it sounds like you are looking for a Sony Walkman

Back in the day, that's EXACTLY what I used (actually a Sony DISCman) velcroed to a rack shelf. Worked just great.

But who uses a CD player anymore when you can convert songs to files and have them never skip or mis-read. When brides ask if they can give me a CD to play I INSIST that they put it on an iPod or a phone for the reliability factor.
Pi Entertainment Services
Midas M32R / MR18
Behringer X32R
Danley SH50 / SM80 / TH118 / TH115
Fulcrum Acoustic fa22ac
RCF NX 12SMA
Yamaha DSR112 / DZR10
Powersoft X4 / M50Q
Crown iT8k

Jay Barracato

• Solomons, MD
« Reply #11 on: March 17, 2014, 08:35:39 PM »

Back in the day, that's EXACTLY what I used (actually a Sony DISCman) velcroed to a rack shelf. Worked just great.

But who uses a CD player anymore when you can convert songs to files and have them never skip or mis-read. When brides ask if they can give me a CD to play I INSIST that they put it on an iPod or a phone for the reliability factor.

I never play anything important off a phone.

If it is a single song I don't have, I would rather be given a CD to rip myself so I can preview it.

When I first started at the club I am in, the manager gave me one of the bartenders phones for break music. During that 30 minutes every single cliche of what can go wrong streaming off a phone did, after they insisted and I told them what was likely to happen.

The worst I have encountered is doing a pep rally and the cheerleaders had their dance music. Apparently it was recorded by holding a mic up to a boom box.

Sent from my DROID RAZR HD using Tapatalk

Jay Barracato

Jerry Dycus

« Reply #12 on: March 18, 2014, 07:56:36 AM »

Hey there, Jerry!
Since our primary focus isn't necessarily the music we play off of the laptop, we felt comfortable going with a free program called DJ Virtual Pro from an outfit called Soft 32.  It's worked well enough so far!

Thanks Al, the reason I asked is because I do sound for my church and am experimenting with playing our CD accompaniment tracks via PC instead of a standalone CD player. Our Easter Cantata has 7 songs broken down into 71 tracks. Just seems it would be much easier to jump around the various tracks during rehearsal with software. Of course, during a live performance I am concerned about the reliability of using ripped wav files within software Vs standalone player. What are your thoughts and would you recommend one program over others? Thank you.

Al Rubio, Jr

« Reply #13 on: March 18, 2014, 03:27:15 PM »

Thanks Al, the reason I asked is because I do sound for my church and am experimenting with playing our CD accompaniment tracks via PC instead of a standalone CD player. Our Easter Cantata has 7 songs broken down into 71 tracks. Just seems it would be much easier to jump around the various tracks during rehearsal with software. Of course, during a live performance I am concerned about the reliability of using ripped wav files within software Vs standalone player. What are your thoughts and would you recommend one program over others? Thank you.
Hey there, Jerry!
Others with more particular experience will have to chime in here to address your concerns.  All I will say is any "issues" I've seen occur (with DJ's and the like) usually have more to do with hardware abuse than with software reliability.  ;)

Josh Millward

• Meridian, MS
« Reply #14 on: March 18, 2014, 03:46:13 PM »

All I will say is any "issues" I've seen occur (with DJ's and the like) usually have more to do with hardware abuse than with software reliability.  ;)

Bingo.

For some reason I can not fathom, most DJ's and the like do not treat their equipment as if their livelihood depends on it. This is strange to me, because it does.

In other news, if you are just looking for something to play back your tracks in order, most any media player will do that for you. However, there are a couple bits of software that I really like to use:

VLC Media Player from VideoLAN - It seems like it will play pretty much ANYTHING and you can easily make play lists.

Virtual DJ Pro - It is easy to build play lists to play back audio only and video files with ease. You can run photo slide shows while playing music, and then you can play a video. It is really slick and pretty easy to use.

Soundplant - Trigger audio files to play with the touch of your keyboard. Similar in operation to a 360 Systems Instant Replay.
Josh Millward
Danley Sound Labs

John Rutirasiri

« Reply #15 on: March 21, 2014, 11:25:12 PM »

I never play anything important off a phone.

If it is a single song I don't have, I would rather be given a CD to rip myself so I can preview it.

Amen!  I've had people hand me phones that the headphone jacks are intermittent, battery go dead, some app interrupts the music, or worse, someone calls in!  Same with a computer headphone jack.

On the other hand, I've never had a CD skip or not play because I preview that CD before the show, and there is always a backup copy in the 2nd CD player.

For some of us, a CD player is not going out of style just yet.

-JR
ClearImpact Sound & Event Services, Inc.
Sound/Lighting/Corporate A/V

"If it ain't broke, make it better."

Jerry Dycus

« Reply #16 on: March 22, 2014, 07:46:56 AM »

Amen!  I've had people hand me phones that the headphone jacks are intermittent, battery go dead, some app interrupts the music, or worse, someone calls in!  Same with a computer headphone jack.

On the other hand, I've never had a CD skip or not play because I preview that CD before the show, and there is always a backup copy in the 2nd CD player.

For some of us, a CD player is not going out of style just yet.

As a followup and for those of you who are interested, for the last three weeks I have been using Foobar2000 on an 8 year old laptop. I ripped the Easter Cantata CD to wav files using CDEx, and feed my sound board via a Tascam US122MKII audio interface on USB port. I customized the hotkeys on Foobar so that with only a few keystrokes I can move back and forth between the tracks with ease. I can see what track is playing, the length of the track, how much time has already played, and how much time remains to be played. With a keystroke, I can pause or move backward or forward within the track by 5 seconds.  I installed the extra RAM disk component for Foobar and play the tracks via RAM disk taking the hard drive out of the equation for playback. Haven't had a single problem so far. Of course, I have the original CD on standby in my CD player in case of problems during a live performance. Thanks all for your good input.

-JR

ProSoundWeb Community

« Reply #16 on: March 22, 2014, 07:46:56 AM »

Pages: 1 [2]  All   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.04 seconds with 25 queries.