ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 13   Go Down

Author Topic: X32 2.02 Firmware..... Likes and issues?  (Read 75252 times)

Dan Mortensen

Re: X32 2.02 Firmware..... Likes and issues?
« Reply #20 on: March 14, 2014, 07:58:47 PM »

It's only trivial until it happens in the middle of a gig and screws up a bad situation more.

Having the console power down and up will be bad enough, but then having to find where you were rather than it coming back where it was is going in the wrong direction from where 1.15 has been for the last 9 months or so.

Brian is anticipating the worst and trying to plan for that, which is what I do and IMHO what everyone in our position should be doing, too.

The above being said, I played hooky from taxes and loaded 2.02 into a console.

EDIT:  This following part is wrong.

The console does indeed go to Scene 00 when restarting IF the last scene loaded was less than a couple minutes ago. However, it seems possible to load your own scene into 00, although all the safes appear to be disabled. Not sure of the why to that, but there it is. So you don't have to start with a blank scene if this scenario occurs, you can have it start in a relevant scene.

I didn't try a console with 1.15 to see what happens if you restart less than a couple minutes after you loaded your last scene; my guess is that since 1.15 didn't have a scene 00, it went to its state when it turned off, or at worst its state at the last auto-save (at most 2 minutes ago). I agree with Brian that this is better, if true.

My apologies for adding noise to this discussion. The console does not go to 00, it goes to the previous scene before the last scene loaded before power went off, as long as that previous scene stayed loaded for more than a couple of minutes. My methodology for knowing which scene was which was faulty.

However, there is no indicator to know which scene you are in when the console comes back on, and 00 is showing with a grey highlight. There is no scene with the yellow orange highlight which is the only indicator of the active scene.

/edit

I also fired up an iPad, and it seemed to work perfectly. My iPads are on 2.1.2 because I saw people mentioning here or in the other thread that the new -Mix didn't work so well with Firmware 2.01. Not sure why the old version works fine and the new one doesn't, but there you go.

So with ignorance being bliss, I'm quite happy with the state of my iPads and 2.02, while feeling sorry for those who updated and now problems. As has been stated elsewhere, the new version was sent to Apple and should be coming out any day, and hopefully that will fix your problems.

Not in time for tonight's show, though, Robert. :'(
« Last Edit: March 15, 2014, 04:28:59 AM by Dan Mortensen »

Brian Wynn

« Reply #21 on: March 14, 2014, 08:57:07 PM »

Who is Brian Wynn and why is he so pissed off about a fairly trivial issue?

Haha!!!
Trivial well obviously it's common place for your pa to shutdown during a show if this is so trivial to you. Your just mad that I high-jacked your thread with a real issue not user error.
« Last Edit: March 14, 2014, 09:11:05 PM by Brian Wynn »

Tim Tyler

• Richmond, Va USA
« Reply #22 on: March 14, 2014, 10:47:58 PM »

Haha!!!
Trivial well obviously it's common place for your pa to shutdown during a show if this is so trivial to you. Your just mad that I high-jacked your thread with a real issue not user error.

Good, now you know.

Buy a UPS, cheapskate.

-Tim T ;)

Bill Schnake

• Schnake Sound
« Reply #23 on: March 14, 2014, 11:10:38 PM »

Haha!!!

Brian, I don't really want to be in the middle of this, but you are way out of line.  I've been doing sound since 1978.  In all of that time I have only ever had two times when we lost power to the PA.  Both happened to be while I was using a digital board.  In both cases I had a UPS, Tripp-Lite, on the board, as I do with all of my digital boards, this gave me about 15 minutes to save my current patch and shut the mixer down gracefully.  So you saying to another user on this Forum that 'obviously it's common place for your pa to shutdown during a show' is a little on the ridiculous side of things.

Relax and don't get so damn angry about things...you'll live longer.  I thought that the idea here was to respectful share our experiences and thoughts...maybe I'm wrong.

Bill
Bill Schnake

217.670.1328    Office
217.553.2278    Cell
Schnake Sound, Inc

Experience, Expertise, Professionalism and Reliability

James A. Griffin

« Reply #24 on: March 14, 2014, 11:50:38 PM »

Haha!!!

It had not occurred to me that the thread had been "high-jacked".  That you believe you have accomplished that goal might indicate that you are bringing a bit too much attitude to the discussion
I need to determine where in this swamp of unbalanced formulas squatteth the Toad of Truth

Per Sovik

• Sogn, Norway, Europe
« Reply #25 on: March 15, 2014, 12:50:43 AM »

The above being said, I played hooky from taxes and loaded 2.02 into a console.

The console does indeed go to Scene 00 when restarting IF the last scene loaded was less than a couple minutes ago. However, it seems possible to load your own scene into 00, although all the safes appear to be disabled. Not sure of the why to that, but there it is. So you don't have to start with a blank scene if this scenario occurs, you can have it start in a relevant scene.

We have been requesting a couple of things, one is to be able to load the first scene of a show completely even when global safes are set. The obvious reason for this is that you want to start off from a defined state. The other request, which might also be covered by this, is to be able to have a default power up scene, a must in fixed installations.
I don't know how much of this has been attempted to be addressed with the new update, how exactly it might be implemented etc. and as usual Behringer are not very good with documenting the updates, each update is as a rule described with a one-liner where some more detail is warranted.

I understand the "What if the console power-cycles in the middle of a show?" argument that someone brought up, but as a whole I would rather have the ability to power up in a known, well defined state than having the ability to recover a unsaved setting.

Dan Mortensen

« Reply #26 on: March 15, 2014, 01:34:08 AM »

We have been requesting a couple of things, one is to be able to load the first scene of a show completely even when global safes are set. The obvious reason for this is that you want to start off from a defined state. The other request, which might also be covered by this, is to be able to have a default power up scene, a must in fixed installations.
I don't know how much of this has been attempted to be addressed with the new update, how exactly it might be implemented etc. and as usual Behringer are not very good with documenting the updates, each update is as a rule described with a one-liner where some more detail is warranted.

I understand the "What if the console power-cycles in the middle of a show?" argument that someone brought up, but as a whole I would rather have the ability to power up in a known, well defined state than having the ability to recover a unsaved setting.

Thanks, Per. I guess this makes sense for a console that all people are expecting will fit all their needs perfectly.

I have a default defined console state that I call "Clean Console" and keep on multiple USB sticks. All scenes are derived from that.

But for an installed console with a variety of users, and especially some marginal users, it makes sense to have a scene 0 for that, I guess.

However, I can easily imagine a scenario where it bites a power user in the ass, but how many power users are there for this console compared to the others? And given that there is only one specific circumstance in which it would be a problem, and that circumstance will be almost perfectly eliminated with a UPS....

OK, I'm sold on it being maybe an improvement, and look forward to hearing stories where that is demonstrated, along with a lack of stories where someone's ass was bitten.

EDIT: Upon a little further thought, how is this different than having a baseline scene loaded somewhere in the library? Is Scene 0 somehow unmodifiable, or does it stay present through the loading of a new Show?

Given that the console will start up in the last scene and state in which it was left for more than a couple minutes, it's not clear how this is an improvement, absent a "yes" answer to both of those questions.
« Last Edit: March 15, 2014, 01:42:05 AM by Dan Mortensen »

Tim McCulloch

• SR Forums
  • Wichita, Kansas USA
« Reply #27 on: March 15, 2014, 03:07:59 AM »

I want the console to return to the state it was in when the power went off.  Yamaha can do this, Avid can do this, Digico can do this, Midas can do this, Roland can do this, Allen-Heath can do this.  I'm sure I left someone out....

If a console were to be locked for an install (like the LS/9 excels at), I can see a power down/restore default scene to prevent circumvention of console permissions.  For the work our company does and for the gigs I personally mix or SE, I want Mr. Mixer to be right back where we were.

YMMV, etc.
"If you're passing on your way, from Palm Springs to L.A., Give a wave to good ol' Dave, Say hello to progress and goodbye to the Moonlight Motor Inn." - Steve Spurgin, Moonlight Motor Inn

Per Sovik

• Sogn, Norway, Europe
Re: Scene 00
« Reply #28 on: March 15, 2014, 03:44:31 AM »

I have to get to the console with 2.02 to figure this out of course, because it definitely is undocumented at the moment. For some reason I have crossed the default scene auto load off my list as already being implemented, and obviously now also the scene 0 complete load irrespective of global safes.
The idea and request was to have a scene that would be auto loaded if present, so by not having a scene in that position or with that name, the auto load will not happen and asses should be safe.
I won't speculate anymore until I've looked properly into it.

Dan Mortensen

« Reply #29 on: March 15, 2014, 04:33:57 AM »

I have to get to the console with 2.02 to figure this out of course, because it definitely is undocumented at the moment. For some reason I have crossed the default scene auto load off my list as already being implemented, and obviously now also the scene 0 complete load irrespective of global safes.
The idea and request was to have a scene that would be auto loaded if present, so by not having a scene in that position or with that name, the auto load will not happen and asses should be safe.
I won't speculate anymore until I've looked properly into it.

See my correction above. Scene 00 does not autoload upon restart unless it was the last state autosaved. I think my questions to you are still valid, though.

ProSoundWeb Community

« Reply #29 on: March 15, 2014, 04:33:57 AM »

Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 13   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.035 seconds with 25 queries.