ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: 1 ... 9 10 [11] 12 13   Go Down

Author Topic: X32 2.02 Firmware..... Likes and issues?  (Read 75158 times)

Per Sovik

• Sogn, Norway, Europe
Re: X32 2.02 Firmware..... Likes and issues?
« Reply #100 on: March 22, 2014, 09:31:47 AM »

So when all possible theories have been tested and all has been told, we are back to Safe Shutdown + UPS + Save Your Scenes?

Dan Mortensen

« Reply #101 on: March 22, 2014, 10:10:17 AM »

So when all possible theories have been tested and all has been told, we are back to Safe Shutdown + UPS + Save Your Scenes?

Unless your UPS dies (if double conversion) or your console power plug gets pulled or you are not intending to shut down at that moment but do anyway or if you change sample rate without understanding that it means a restart or...

Nick Davis

« Reply #102 on: March 22, 2014, 10:20:45 AM »

Well said!

Nick Davis

« Reply #103 on: March 22, 2014, 10:28:56 AM »

Unless your UPS dies (if double conversion) or your console power plug gets pulled or you are not intending to shut down at that moment but do anyway or if you change sample rate without understanding that it means a restart or...
Or you spontaneously combust and the console catches on fire... Or..
Or ..

Edit: just a thought if it was a Yamaha under these circumstances I suppose they would fly in a replacement console and engineer or maybe to cover this possibility
 fully would have this on immediate standby
« Last Edit: March 22, 2014, 11:07:17 AM by Nick Davis »

Robert Lofgren

« Reply #104 on: March 22, 2014, 12:49:21 PM »

Ok, so the best move is to never turn on the mixer in the first place as then you are pretty sure that all your data will never be incomplete.

That saves me a lot of money ;-)

Nick Davis

« Reply #105 on: March 22, 2014, 02:41:39 PM »

Ok, so the best move is to never turn on the mixer in the first place as then you are pretty sure that all your data will never be incomplete.

That saves me a lot of money ;-)
Do you mean you have actually risked switching it on - brave man!

Robert Lofgren

« Reply #106 on: March 22, 2014, 03:04:31 PM »

Do you mean you have actually risked switching it on - brave man!
Yeah, I know. I love living on the edge.

Tim McCulloch

• SR Forums
  • Wichita, Kansas USA
« Reply #107 on: March 22, 2014, 05:38:56 PM »

Yeah, I know. I love living on the edge.

"If you're not living on the edgy you're taking up too much room."  - Famous T shirt saying.
"If you're passing on your way, from Palm Springs to L.A., Give a wave to good ol' Dave, Say hello to progress and goodbye to the Moonlight Motor Inn." - Steve Spurgin, Moonlight Motor Inn

Sander Rooijens

« Reply #108 on: March 23, 2014, 04:22:50 AM »

A flash memory block can only be written to a certain amount of times. With the current flash memory technology at hand that limit is approx. 100.000 write cycles.

That depends HUGELY on the exact type of flash memory used.
For (relatively very expensive) SLC flash memory the 100.000 write cycles may be correct. You can see this used in "industrial" SD cards, "enterprise" SSD's etc.

The types of MLC flash memory typically used in consumer devices, SD cards and SSD wears out a lot quicker and is often only specified for 3000 write cycles these days and this number has been getting LOWER over the last years as they keep making the memory cells on the chips smaller (more memory for lower price).

S.R.

Edit: had not kept up recently and it's even worse that I thought now with some TLC memory having only 750 erase/program cycles!
http://www.anandtech.com/show/5067/understanding-tlc-nand/2
« Last Edit: March 23, 2014, 04:51:07 AM by Sander Rooijens »

Scott Bolt

« Reply #109 on: March 23, 2014, 12:09:15 PM »

That depends HUGELY on the exact type of flash memory used.
For (relatively very expensive) SLC flash memory the 100.000 write cycles may be correct. You can see this used in "industrial" SD cards, "enterprise" SSD's etc.

The types of MLC flash memory typically used in consumer devices, SD cards and SSD wears out a lot quicker and is often only specified for 3000 write cycles these days and this number has been getting LOWER over the last years as they keep making the memory cells on the chips smaller (more memory for lower price).

S.R.

Edit: had not kept up recently and it's even worse that I thought now with some TLC memory having only 750 erase/program cycles!
http://www.anandtech.com/show/5067/understanding-tlc-nand/2
I do not know what SD is used in the X32, but any decent SD will not only support -10,000 cycles of raw write cycles; it will also be supported by TRIM raising that number to what essentially equates to forever for the trivial amount of file I/O the X32 does.

ProSoundWeb Community

« Reply #109 on: March 23, 2014, 12:09:15 PM »

Pages: 1 ... 9 10 [11] 12 13   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.033 seconds with 24 queries.