ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: [1] 2  All   Go Down

Author Topic: Multiple Measurements with 2 USBPre2's  (Read 6569 times)

David Sturzenbecher

• So. Dak.
    • Sturz Audio
Multiple Measurements with 2 USBPre2's
« on: March 10, 2014, 01:32:07 PM »

Hello,
I have two USBPre2’s and was interested to know if anyone had experience using more then one device to acquire measurement traces with Smaart 7.  I have used a Ocatacapture for more then one trace, but never two separate devices.  Any gotchas?

Thanks
Dave
Audio Systems Design Engineer
Daktronics, Inc.
CTS-D, CTS-I
AES Full Member

Timo Beckman

• Rational Acoustics/Isemcon/Fulcrum Acoustic NL
    • Timo Beckman Geluid
Re: Multiple Measurements with 2 USBPre2's
« Reply #1 on: March 10, 2014, 02:03:27 PM »

Up to now i do not have any problems and i'm using 5 Smaart i/o's at this time.
The only challenge i had was to find a USB hub multi TT here in the Netherlands. After trying about 25 different hubs i had to order 1 in America.
The problem i had with the first 3 i/o's was the USB protocol on my mac. Card 1 and 2 no problem but nm.3 got refused because apparently the usb protocol sees each i/o as a full bandwidth device and nm 3 is seen as to much for 1 port.
I tried to use a motu 4pre (firewire) along with the i/o's and that gave me problems. Since i was running out of time (and in my case patience) i figured out an other way to hook all up at that time so no idea what happened there sorry.
https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?fbid=10202965183718641&set=a.4589470022856.2181275.1475271891&type=1&theater
https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?fbid=10202946398129013&set=a.1729232758712.2097575.1475271891&type=1&theater

« Last Edit: March 10, 2014, 02:22:00 PM by Timo Beckman »

Mark McFarlane

« Reply #2 on: March 10, 2014, 03:15:57 PM »

Are you running on a Mac? If so, you can use the Aggregate Device setup.  On Windows I think you may need a special driver (ASIOFORALL or something like that) to use multiple devices.
Mark McFarlane

Arthur Skudra

• SR Forums
« Reply #3 on: March 10, 2014, 04:10:53 PM »

Hello,
I have two USBPre2’s and was interested to know if anyone had experience using more then one device to acquire measurement traces with Smaart 7.  I have used a Ocatacapture for more then one trace, but never two separate devices.  Any gotchas?

Thanks
Dave
Unless I missed something, the USBPre2 does not have an external word clock synchronization capability, so no, you won't be able to use two of them simultaneously with Smaart 7, even if you set them up as an aggregate device.

Adam Black

• Rational Acoustics
« Reply #4 on: March 11, 2014, 09:26:55 AM »

Any gotchas?

Using multiple devices is one thing and is not inherently a problem. The gotcha is if you'd like to use one device for your reference signal and another device for your measurement signal. I.E. Cross device transfer function. The software isn't the issue for this scenario. What is the problem is both devices need to be on the same clock, or you'll get clock drift. So the feasibility of this setup is determined by your intended use case.

-A

Mark McFarlane

« Reply #5 on: March 23, 2014, 01:13:03 PM »

Unless I missed something, the USBPre2 does not have an external word clock synchronization capability, so no, you won't be able to use two of them simultaneously with Smaart 7, even if you set them up as an aggregate device.

OSX provides for clock synchronization for devices that can't connect via word clock. I have no idea how well it works, but it may be good enough,.  Easy enough to test, just put reference and measure on the same device, then put them on different devices and see if you get the same result.

http://support.apple.com/kb/HT1215?viewlocale=en_US&locale=en_US
« Last Edit: March 23, 2014, 03:34:31 PM by Mark McFarlane »
Mark McFarlane

David Sturzenbecher

• So. Dak.
    • Sturz Audio
« Reply #6 on: March 23, 2014, 02:39:37 PM »

I was unable to get this to work as Smaart only saw one USBPre2 driver.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Daktronics, Inc.
CTS-D, CTS-I
AES Full Member

Mark McFarlane

« Reply #7 on: March 23, 2014, 03:50:49 PM »

I was unable to get this to work as Smaart only saw one USBPre2 driver.

Did you select the "Allow multi-device transfer function" checkbox under the Transfer Function configuration Options dialog?  I just did a quick test and Smaart 7 allows me to set up a transfer measurement using an aggregate device.
Mark McFarlane

David Sturzenbecher

• So. Dak.
    • Sturz Audio
« Reply #8 on: March 23, 2014, 07:10:19 PM »

Yeah, I did. But there was no way to differentiate what I/O was from the first USBpre2 and the second

Daktronics, Inc.
CTS-D, CTS-I
AES Full Member

Mark McFarlane

« Reply #9 on: March 23, 2014, 11:56:42 PM »

Yeah, I did. But there was no way to differentiate what I/O was from the first USBpre2 and the second

When you aggregate devices under OSX' Audio Midi Setup, the first device you select gets inputs 1-n, the next device gets inputs n+. e.g., If you aggregate two dual channel devices 1-2 are from one device, 3-4 are from the other device and it SHOULD show up in Smaart as a 4 channel input device, theoretically. 

Sorry, I don't know your experience level with OSX Aggregation but it sounds like you may be helped by studying up on it.  All I tested in smart was to see if it 'saw' aggregate devices, I combined a 32 channel device with the built-in laptop inputs and it saw the device. I didn't actually 'use' the device but theoretically it should work, Smaart should have no way of knowing it is anything other than a normal device.
Mark McFarlane

ProSoundWeb Community

« Reply #9 on: March 23, 2014, 11:56:42 PM »

Pages: [1] 2  All   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.022 seconds with 26 queries.