ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: 30-60ft/10-20m HDMI cable run?  (Read 7880 times)

Mark_Hazeldine

30-60ft/10-20m HDMI cable run?
« on: March 10, 2014, 10:45:01 AM »

Hi guys,

so I am trying to implement an AV upgrade in our church (permanent install). We are trying to send from a PC to 2 screens in different rooms to where the PC is. We are using a wireless HDMI system (manufacturer clains 1 sender works with up to 4 receivers) because we have a building which is protected (Grade 2 listed in UK terminology). This means that installing cables through walls is pretty tricky). The wireless system in theory works ok, but the WiFi signal is not strong enough to go 20 metres (60ft) AND through the floor to a room below.

So, my solution to this is to do a longer HDMI cable run to reduce the wireless distance. I want to try a 10m cable first to get the wireless sender half way across our main room, and if that doesn't work, then i'd either want to try a 20m cable, or 2x 10m cables with a booster in between.

Can anyone advise on what I should be looking forward when buying these cables? I don't want to be suckered by all the marketing crap and pay £100s for a pointlessly expensive cable, but I also don't want to cheap out and waste money on something that either won't work, or will break in 5 minutes.

Are there any good, reliable brands I should look out for? What about shielding, gold plated connectors, amplified cables, flat cables etc. One brand I've looked at is Startech. Are there any other good ones?

P.S. my budget is "the least we can spend that will do the job and last for a good few years". In real terms, i'm hoping to not have to spend more than £40-50 for a 10m cable.

Thanks, Mark

Nick Enright

• Detroit, MI
Re: 30-60ft/10-20m HDMI cable run?
« Reply #1 on: March 10, 2014, 10:53:03 AM »

Hi guys,

so I am trying to implement an AV upgrade in our church (permanent install). We are trying to send from a PC to 2 screens in different rooms to where the PC is. We are using a wireless HDMI system (manufacturer clains 1 sender works with up to 4 receivers) because we have a building which is protected (Grade 2 listed in UK terminology). This means that installing cables through walls is pretty tricky). The wireless system in theory works ok, but the WiFi signal is not strong enough to go 20 metres (60ft) AND through the floor to a room below.

So, my solution to this is to do a longer HDMI cable run to reduce the wireless distance. I want to try a 10m cable first to get the wireless sender half way across our main room, and if that doesn't work, then i'd either want to try a 20m cable, or 2x 10m cables with a booster in between.

Can anyone advise on what I should be looking forward when buying these cables? I don't want to be suckered by all the marketing crap and pay £100s for a pointlessly expensive cable, but I also don't want to cheap out and waste money on something that either won't work, or will break in 5 minutes.

Are there any good, reliable brands I should look out for? What about shielding, gold plated connectors, amplified cables, flat cables etc. One brand I've looked at is Startech. Are there any other good ones?

P.S. my budget is "the least we can spend that will do the job and last for a good few years". In real terms, i'm hoping to not have to spend more than £40-50 for a 10m cable.

Thanks, Mark

it's not on their website any more, however I'm using a 50' HDMI to send from my desktop to a television across my loft, I purchased it for less than 50$(US) from this site:

www.partsexpress.com

you likely have a similar supplier in the UK.

(I have a feeling that there's plenty of foolery going on in the HDMI cable market.)

Nick Enright
Owner / Engineer
Lyve Productions
Detroit, MI

Mark_Hazeldine

« Reply #2 on: March 10, 2014, 11:12:15 AM »

Ok, and what sort of specs did this cable have? I want something that will ensure minimum loss of signal without going crazy on price.

Brad Weber

• Marietta, GA
« Reply #3 on: March 10, 2014, 03:58:36 PM »

I don't know how what your building codes or standards require but where the cable runs may affect the cable required.  For example, here in the US, if the the cable is run though what is considered a plenum space and the cable is exposed rather than in conduit then the cable would need to be plenum rated.  Cable run in walls or above inaccessible ceilings, in risers, etc. would also have to be properly rated for those applications.  Maybe someone else is more familiar with the related laws there.

Tommy Peel

• Longview, Texas
« Reply #4 on: March 10, 2014, 04:56:08 PM »

I've had decent luck with Monoprice HDMI cables. I've installed this 75ft cable in a church(not in a plenum space, just in wall) and it works fine. It runs from FOH to behind TV1 where it plugs into a Monoprice splitter which feeds TV1 with a short cable and TV2 with a 25ft cable. They also sell a 100ft cable that, according to the reviews, also works fine. I would definitely check with local regulations about cable requirements before buying something. I'm also not 100% sure if Monoprice sells in Europe, but they're worth checking out.

Mark_Hazeldine

« Reply #5 on: March 10, 2014, 06:26:56 PM »

Ok, so I don't think there are any fire safety regulations that are going to apply in this situation. I'm not going to be running cable through air conditioning ducts (although it will run near a (hot water) radiator, but I don't believe we have the same regulations you do in this regard).

Given that, what other things should I be looking for? As an example, here are a few products I found with vastly different prices. What's the difference between them?:
1) http://www.dabs.com/products/best-value-10m-hdmi-m-m-v1-3b-gold-plated-5CDZ.html
2) http://www.dabs.com/products/c2g-10m-select-high-speed-hdmi-with-ethernet-915N.html
3) http://www.dabs.com/products/startech-com-10m-high-speed-hdmi--cable-7W8L.html

The main differences I can see are:
1) Shielding
2) "high speed" label
3) Connector designs

As far as I know, "high-speed" is not that important because we're running at 720p, but for a 10m+ cable, I've read some articles that say good shielding is important. So is there any reason to pay £40 for the Startech one? Or will the £9 "best value" one do just as good a job?

Tommy Peel

• Longview, Texas
« Reply #6 on: March 10, 2014, 11:25:55 PM »

Ok, so I don't think there are any fire safety regulations that are going to apply in this situation. I'm not going to be running cable through air conditioning ducts (although it will run near a (hot water) radiator, but I don't believe we have the same regulations you do in this regard).

Given that, what other things should I be looking for? As an example, here are a few products I found with vastly different prices. What's the difference between them?:
1) http://www.dabs.com/products/best-value-10m-hdmi-m-m-v1-3b-gold-plated-5CDZ.html
2) http://www.dabs.com/products/c2g-10m-select-high-speed-hdmi-with-ethernet-915N.html
3) http://www.dabs.com/products/startech-com-10m-high-speed-hdmi--cable-7W8L.html

The main differences I can see are:
1) Shielding
2) "high speed" label
3) Connector designs

As far as I know, "high-speed" is not that important because we're running at 720p, but for a 10m+ cable, I've read some articles that say good shielding is important. So is there any reason to pay £40 for the Startech one? Or will the £9 "best value" one do just as good a job?

I don't see a good reason to get the £40 one vs. the £9 one. I don't think the "high speed" rating is going to matter, especially at 720p. I'm pretty sure for the cable to be labeled HDMI it(or at least it's design) had to pass certain specs, therefore it should work regardless of the fancy wording or price.

Sent from my Nexus 4 running OmniROM 4.4 KitKat using Tapatalk Pro

Ryan C. Davis

• SL,UT
« Reply #7 on: March 11, 2014, 12:08:06 AM »

Mark-

We use a lot of HDMI Cables and I would say most manufacturers have gotten quite good at making them. The ones we've been using the most are made by Vanco. They have a 75' with a "redmere" module that we've had success with and any of the regular 50' have been fine too. I've always considered 50' to be my max run with any ordinary HDMI but these 75' with that built in module have been fine.

When Brad is talking about plenum cables… in the US it's very common in commercial spaces that have drop grid ceilings to not duct air returns all the way back to the air handlers. That means all they do is place a grille in each office or area that needs an air return and let the air handler suck the return air into the space above the ceiling grid. The reason the cables have to plenum rated in that scenario is because if they catch on fire, the PVC jacket is caustic when it burns. That's especially bad because now the air handler is sucking in caustic fumes and redistributing them around the entire office or commercial space. So, a plenum rated cable usually has a Teflon jacket that isn't as dangerous when it burns. FYI…

Ryan Davis

Mark_Hazeldine

« Reply #8 on: March 11, 2014, 04:14:50 AM »

Thanks guys. Well it seems like the cheap one might just work ok then. I suppose if it's not then £9 isn't a big loss! And I would've learnt something at least.

Brad Weber

• Marietta, GA
« Reply #9 on: March 11, 2014, 09:13:27 AM »

As Ryan explained, the space above the ceiling is often used for return air and thus would typically be considered a plenum space and any cables run exposed in such areas must then be plenum rated.  Cables run exposed in walls or above inaccessible ceilings have to be rated for that application.  Here there are also rules on how permanently installed cable must be supported if run overhead.  While your laws may differ, you probably want to verify that there are no applicable rules or laws.

ProSoundWeb Community

« Reply #9 on: March 11, 2014, 09:13:27 AM »

Pages: [1]   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.032 seconds with 25 queries.