ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: 1 2 3 [4]   Go Down

Author Topic: Guitar Amp powering off?  (Read 14353 times)

John Roberts {JR}

• Hickory, Mississippi, USA
    • Resotune
Re: Guitar Amp powering off?
« Reply #30 on: March 11, 2014, 11:37:47 AM »

Yup, that's the plan. If I can make this work I'll publish the plans here for fun. The Brits made a lot of these tubes, as well as the Russians (for fighter jets with hardened electronics that could survive a nuclear EMT pulse). You can find NOS (New Old Stock) hearing aid tubes/valves on eBay for $5 each or so, but of course there's not a lot of practical uses for them. I think that tube-active guitar pickups are just the home for them.

I officially do not approve feeding the madness. Why not add a LED and tell them it's a tube. :-)

Back a couple decades ago I designed a "DIC" A direct injection cord, that was a phantom powered JFET buffer/preamp built into the barrel of a 1/4" guitar plug. This JFET front end was low noise and high impedance so we could get all the HF content and edge the guitar pickup was capable of, cleanly.

While I was able to get the guitar input clean and accurate, it generally sounded very thin, because the guitar interacts with the guitar amp significantly to develop it's full "sound".

JR
Cancel the "cancel culture". Do not participate in mob hatred.

Mike Sokol

• Lead instructor for the No~Shock~Zone
    • No~Shock~Zone Electrical Safety
« Reply #31 on: March 11, 2014, 11:54:38 AM »

I officially do not approve feeding the madness. Why not add a LED and tell them it's a tube. :-)
JR

Like this Yamaha THR guitar amp with Orange-Glow LEDs and no actual tubes?  ;)

John Roberts {JR}

• Hickory, Mississippi, USA
    • Resotune
« Reply #32 on: March 11, 2014, 12:11:26 PM »

Like this Yamaha THR guitar amp with Orange-Glow LEDs and no actual tubes?  ;)

And Yamaha was not the first or only manufacturer to do that...  Conversely at Peavey I recall having some actual tube products designed to be used with guitars that we couldn't give away.

One very nice simple 4 input tube mixer was intended for combining a few pedal effects between a guitar and amp, using an all tube path. I got involved when these became slow moving inventory that I had to figure out how to get rid of. ::)

They were too clean to sell as a tube sonic effect. I tried to dirty them up some by increasing the gain. No love for real tubes. 

JR
Cancel the "cancel culture". Do not participate in mob hatred.

Steve M Smith

• Isle of Wight - England
« Reply #33 on: March 11, 2014, 12:15:04 PM »

Yup, that's the plan. If I can make this work I'll publish the plans here for fun. The Brits made a lot of these tubes, as well as the Russians (for fighter jets with hardened electronics that could survive a nuclear EMT pulse). You can find NOS (New Old Stock) hearing aid tubes/valves on eBay for $5 each or so, but of course there's not a lot of practical uses for them. I think that tube-active guitar pickups are just the home for them.

Not much different to the valves in Neumann (and other) microphones: http://www.saturn-sound.com/Curio's/what%20valve%20in%20what%20microphone.htm

Steve.

ProSoundWeb Community

« Reply #33 on: March 11, 2014, 12:15:04 PM »

Pages: 1 2 3 [4]   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.04 seconds with 25 queries.