ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: 4:3 or 16:9 format screens  (Read 6050 times)

John Moore

• "learning the hard way sucks donkey kong"
    • Trinity Productions
4:3 or 16:9 format screens
« on: March 09, 2014, 11:59:56 AM »

We are getting ready to dive into offering video to our clients...been looking at the typical portable large screens...

Looking for advice on what others are / have done on format.

Do we buy AV or Widescreen ?  What makes the most sense...looking at 9x 12 or 10 x 14 sizes or somewhere there abouts.

Some work will be corp. AV, movies in the park type stuff, and typical talking head type presentations and video display of the events.
http://www.trinityprosound.com 209-832-8023
DEALER:Dealer for Yorkville, EV, QSC, RCF, Danley Sound Labs, VTC, Allen & Heath, Ashly, Denon,  Audix, One Systems, Beyerdynamic, Presonus, K&M, Ultimate,  Trusst, Road Ready, Gator, Radial Engineering, Turbosound, dB Technologies, RCF, American Audio,  Rapco, CBI Cables, ADJ, Chauvet, Blizzard, Furman, Shure, Tascam, Elite Screens,  BenQ, Midas, Digico,  and many many more...

Sam Feine

• Personal Website
Re: 4:3 or 16:9 format screens
« Reply #1 on: March 09, 2014, 03:01:45 PM »

We tend to have mostly widescreen 16:9 for our events. We do have some small 4:3 screens for when we need to provide AV for breakout rooms but most of our larger matts are 16:9 as that is the format our clients are used to watching HD content on.
Electro-Acoustic Engineer at Community Professional Loudspeakers

Keith Broughton

• Toronto
« Reply #2 on: March 09, 2014, 04:44:36 PM »

We are getting ready to dive into offering video to our clients...been looking at the typical portable large screens...

Looking for advice on what others are / have done on format.

Do we buy AV or Widescreen ?  What makes the most sense...looking at 9x 12 or 10 x 14 sizes or somewhere there abouts.

Some work will be corp. AV, movies in the park type stuff, and typical talking head type presentations and video display of the events.
If you but 16/9 screens you can always use a boarder to crop to 4/3 when required
I don't care enough to be apathetic

Milt Hathaway

• http://www.fitzcosound.com
« Reply #3 on: March 09, 2014, 09:02:57 PM »

If you but 16/9 screens you can always use a boarder to crop to 4/3 when required

And 4:3 screens can always use a skirt bar to crop the bottom.

I'm still 100% 4:3 because it is still the best format for IMAG, and at least 80% of the Powerpoint slide shows I get are formatted for 4:3.

Correction: I do own one 16:9 screen. It's an inflatable outdoor screen for movies in the park.
--
Milt
FitzCo Sound, Inc.
Midland, TX
http://www.fitzcosound.com

Brad Weber

• Marietta, GA
« Reply #4 on: March 10, 2014, 09:14:55 AM »

And 4:3 screens can always use a skirt bar to crop the bottom.
You can letterbox a 16:9/16:10 image to display it a 4:3 screen, however that results in reducing the image height and thus the associated viewing distance.  In comparison, you can pillarbox a 4:3 image on a 16:9/16:10 screen without affecting the image height or viewing distance.

I don't think I've specified a 4:3 screen in some years now, everything has been either 16:9 or 6:10.  That has been greatly driven by most newer laptops, tablets and other portable sources being native 16:9 or 16:10 formats and thus the content being displayed also more often being a widescreen format.

Caleb Dueck

• Sierra Vista, AZ
« Reply #5 on: March 10, 2014, 02:52:27 PM »

I don't think I've specified a 4:3 screen in some years now, everything has been either 16:9 or 6:10.  That has been greatly driven by most newer laptops, tablets and other portable sources being native 16:9 or 16:10 formats and thus the content being displayed also more often being a widescreen format.

Agreed.  4:3 has been considered legacy by us for years for installs, only making sense if there is a 4:3 camera system the client specifically wants to keep. 

We're shifting more from 16:10 to 16:9 now, with all the HD cameras and flat panel displays to integrate.
Experience is something you get right after you need it.

Brad Weber

• Marietta, GA
« Reply #6 on: March 10, 2014, 03:52:24 PM »

We're shifting more from 16:10 to 16:9 now, with all the HD cameras and flat panel displays to integrate.
The same here and it seems primarily higher educational clients that are committed to the 16:10 format.

Stephen Swaffer

« Reply #7 on: April 21, 2014, 10:30:14 PM »

Our church installed a 4:3 about 6 years ago.  Nice for powerpoints, but with most most video being brought in by missionaries etc being 16:9 we are looking at changing-and since our height will stay the same it will still work just as well for 4:3.  Right now the letterbox hurts us when we have to do 16:9-which is getting to be a higher percentage with each passing day!
Steve Swaffer

ProSoundWeb Community

« Reply #7 on: April 21, 2014, 10:30:14 PM »

Pages: [1]   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.031 seconds with 22 queries.