ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: 1 [2] 3  All   Go Down

Author Topic: Re: Avid Plug In future, was Yamaha Announcement  (Read 13474 times)

Samuel Rees

• Washington, D.C.
Re: Avid Plug In future, was Yamaha Announcement
« Reply #10 on: March 10, 2014, 04:12:10 PM »

What was their previous DSP attempt?

Justice C. Bigler

• SR Forums
  • Tulsa, Oklahoma
    • My homepage
« Reply #11 on: March 10, 2014, 08:41:08 PM »

What was their previous DSP attempt?

Wasn't it some bass/subwoofer DSP unit?
Justice C. Bigler
Business Rep, IATSE Local 354
www.justicebigler.com

Samuel Rees

• Washington, D.C.
« Reply #12 on: March 10, 2014, 08:42:31 PM »

I knew about those I suppose. They had a maxxbass unit, they had an L2 limiter, and they currently have a standalone "vintage" compressor of some sort I can't recall, that's a plugin in a box.

Ned Ward

• SR Forums
  • Redondo Beach, CA
    • Our band's page on Facebook
Re: Re: Avid Plug In future, was Yamaha Announcement
« Reply #13 on: March 10, 2014, 09:24:06 PM »

Waves APA 32 and 44. Hardware accelerated, but didn't work with standard Waves plugins.

Launched in 2005, discontinued in 2008... Also ethernet-based...

http://www.soundonsound.com/sos/sep05/articles/wavesapa32.htm

Kristo Kotkas

• Eventech
« Reply #14 on: March 16, 2014, 05:59:44 PM »

Actually, S3L coming out with such a small amount of plugins available turned out to be a great lesson for me, who owns a Profile loaded with pretty much every TDM plugin out there.

The new desk sounds amazing by itself! To be honest, I only miss a couple of plugins and I have managed to create a work-around since S3L has an easy AVB connection with the recording computer I'm running these plugins native on my computer, it's OK since I only need them on my master fader (L3LL and RenBass plugins a MaxxBCL HW replacement) and don't tweak them at all.

Coming back to the original topic, everybody knows Avid and Digico are competitors but Waves and Digico have signed strategic alliance agreement already in 2010.

To be hones it also seems a bit personal, since Waves is working on solutions to run their plugins on pretty much any other desk out there but Avid's, and there have been some rude words from Waves reps towards Avid.

A lot of people who have supported Waves by paying double for their TDM plugins are not too happy about Waves and Avid parting ways in a such manner. Obviously today these angry people are mainly from the studio side, but the generation of Avid live sound desks will change and this topic will once again arise, when live sound guys using Avid live sound desks and Waves will come to the point where they will need to decide if they will change the desk platform or start to live without Waves.

I know there might come a some sort of DigiGrid-interface solution from Waves for Avid but as an Profile user who has used to have all-in-the-box I don't think I would never-ever consider an solution with external DSP box + external computer for plugin GUI control.

Time will tell...

Chris Johnson [UK]

« Reply #15 on: March 17, 2014, 06:20:36 AM »

Yeah. I'd be very tempted by an S3L if the waves compatibility was there. However, its very expensive.
Riedel Communications

Kristo Kotkas

• Eventech
« Reply #16 on: March 17, 2014, 09:01:16 AM »

Yeah. I'd be very tempted by an S3L if the waves compatibility was there. However, its very expensive.

Waves is doing a great job on marketing, but the question is, do you really need them? I have a mercury in my studio and I keep an Platinum (pretty much the same as Live) bundle on my Profile.

To be honest I don't use Waves in my Profile rack that much, mainly cause it has a lot of latency. For multiband compression I use McDSP instead, both McDSP and Massey do a nice job at brickwall limiting and now the Avid Pro Limiter is at least as good, even better I would say, and Avid has announced it will be included with S3L's with the next SW release, see this: http://www.avidblogs.com/avid-s3l-live-sound-aax-dsp-plugins/

Don't get me wrong, there are nice plugins in Waves bundles, I love the CLA-3A, MetaFlanger, RenBass and many others and I would love to see them working on S3L.

Regarding the price of S3L... well, it's also how you look at it. Compared to X32 it's obviously expensive, but compared to Profile its much less. I'm personally seriously considering selling the Profile off cause I can get the job done with S3L and it does sound as good, and recording-virtual soundchecking is so so much easier since I have Mac Mini built in the same rack as the S3L ready to go at all times.

Chris Johnson [UK]

« Reply #17 on: March 17, 2014, 09:36:33 AM »

...both McDSP and Massey do a nice job at brickwall limiting and now the Avid Pro Limiter is at least as good, even better I would say, and Avid has announced it will be included with S3L's with the next SW release, see this: http://www.avidblogs.com/avid-s3l-live-sound-aax-dsp-plugins/

...Regarding the price of S3L... well, it's also how you look at it...

You're right about needing plugins. I use C6, Vocal Rider, Bass Rider, quite extensively. I hadn't thought about McDSP ML4000 instead, although I do like the sound of it, its the C6 interface that I'm used to. Massey L2007 is a killer limiter, but he doesn't do AAX DSP.

I get you're point about S3L, but I think its just crazy money. A 64ch system is £24k over here, and there is no real way to interface it with bigger systems. For £24k I could buy an SD9 system with 2 racks, Waves integration, and the recording machine, and some nice mics, and flightcases...
Riedel Communications

Kristo Kotkas

• Eventech
« Reply #18 on: March 17, 2014, 04:47:30 PM »

You're right about needing plugins. I use C6, Vocal Rider, Bass Rider, quite extensively. I hadn't thought about McDSP ML4000 instead, although I do like the sound of it, its the C6 interface that I'm used to. Massey L2007 is a killer limiter, but he doesn't do AAX DSP.

I get you're point about S3L, but I think its just crazy money. A 64ch system is £24k over here, and there is no real way to interface it with bigger systems. For £24k I could buy an SD9 system with 2 racks, Waves integration, and the recording machine, and some nice mics, and flightcases...

Honestly, I would think of S3L as a 64 channel mixer only if I would need to use it as a 64 channel tracking system. As a mixer it's truly only useful as a 48 input channel desk since in 64 channel mode you will loose your FX returns.

Mine is a 32 channel system with two stage boxes. Here, my system with mac mini, flight cases, cabling and all the rest costs £12600 + VAT as a plug and play system from the local dealer.

Chris Johnson [UK]

« Reply #19 on: March 20, 2014, 04:02:57 PM »

Thats a nice looking setup you have there!
Riedel Communications

ProSoundWeb Community

« Reply #19 on: March 20, 2014, 04:02:57 PM »

Pages: 1 [2] 3  All   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.044 seconds with 24 queries.