ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 11   Go Down

Author Topic: Yamaha Announcement  (Read 53066 times)

Bob Leonard

• Boston, MA USA
Re: Yamaha Announcement
« Reply #10 on: March 06, 2014, 03:52:08 PM »

Dollars to donuts it's a board to compete with the $3K crowd, like a revamped LS9 with more features, better sound, and a lower cost.
BOSTON STRONG........
Proud Vietnam Veteran

I did a gig for Otis Elevator once. Like every job, it had it's ups and downs.

Chris Johnson [UK]

« Reply #11 on: March 06, 2014, 04:50:23 PM »

The PM1D was sort of an outlier in Yamaha's design history and once the 5000 died a quick and ignominious death I suspect that Yamaha will not venture to the cutting edge again.

The 1D was the console that started the digital revolution in live sound. Don't forget it was released in 1999! Back when you had to worry about whether consoles would be affected by the dreaded Y2K bug! :P

Its the vDosc of the console market. The first. For a long time, the best. But the industry has moved on now, yet it still keeps up. I did monitors on a TV show recently using a PM1D. I needed a bunch of mixes (43 IIRC) and 96 inputs, so it was ideal. I thoroughly enjoyed working with it!

It will be interesting to see where Yamaha go with it.

Personally, the products I think light the path for the future of live audio are Nuage, S6 and S3L. Modularity is going to win out in our industry...
Riedel Communications

Mac Kerr

• Old enough to know better
  • Administrator
  • Audio Plumber
« Reply #12 on: March 06, 2014, 05:22:02 PM »

The 1D was the console that started the digital revolution in live sound. Don't forget it was released in 1999! Back when you had to worry about whether consoles would be affected by the dreaded Y2K bug! :P

Its the vDosc of the console market. The first. For a long time, the best. But the industry has moved on now, yet it still keeps up. I did monitors on a TV show recently using a PM1D. I needed a bunch of mixes (43 IIRC) and 96 inputs, so it was ideal. I thoroughly enjoyed working with it!

It will be interesting to see where Yamaha go with it.

Personally, the products I think light the path for the future of live audio are Nuage, S6 and S3L. Modularity is going to win out in our industry...

I agree about Nuage and S6, I don't know what to make of S3L. I don't know if the teaser on their website hints at a big brother or a baby brother, but I'll bet they're working on both.

I too occasionally mix monitors on a TV show, and the PM1D is great at it. I'm looking forward to meeting the next generation, I first worked with grand dad in 2000.

Mix

errr… Freudian slip…

Mac
« Last Edit: March 06, 2014, 07:30:09 PM by Mac Kerr »

kristianjohnsen

• Lillehammer, Norway
    • Lillehammer Lyd og Lys
« Reply #13 on: March 08, 2014, 11:34:55 AM »

The question is, have we already met the big brother or the little brother? I think it's time to meet the big brother.

Mac

I suspect we'll see a new small-format mixer to compete with Mackie, QSC, etc.  Yamaha DID buy Line6 a little while back...

John Roberts {JR}

• Hickory, Mississippi, USA
    • Resotune
« Reply #14 on: March 08, 2014, 12:06:21 PM »

I am not smart enough to predict the future, but IMO Yamaha dropped the ball by not securing the value end of digital console market. The technology over the last couple decades have not been reflected into value designs IMO until Behringer released the X-32. Prior to that there was a chicken/egg disconnect where digital consoles never attracted mass market volume, to justify aggressive pursuit of that market. The technology has finally dropped down cheap enough to hit price points that deliver cost effective production volumes. The dogs have been chasing this high volume fox for decades.

I do not expect behringer to be alone down there for ever, but I can not predict exactly when the competitive response arrives. Yamaha has been one of the few majors with success in both pro and value products under the same brand umbrella. I do not know how to do that well, so they may lead from the top down to not erode top end sales (but I concede I do not understand how to do this).

JR 
Cancel the "cancel culture". Do not participate in mob hatred.

Scott Helmke

« Reply #15 on: March 08, 2014, 09:40:55 PM »

I dunno. I do hope Yamaha comes out with something small cheap and cool, but.... if you were Yamaha, would you want to compete with Behringer on Behringer's territory?

Gary Creely

« Reply #16 on: March 08, 2014, 10:49:56 PM »

I dunno. I do hope Yamaha comes out with something small cheap and cool, but.... if you were Yamaha, would you want to compete with Behringer on Behringer's territory?

I just installed my first x32. From an installation point of view it is extremely flexible. In terms of price point the sound craft expressions is close enough to it, but the Behringer offers quite a few more features not the least of which is an iPad app that controls every aspect of the board.

I feel like the soundcraft sounds better, is easier to use, and is from a manufacturer that has a heritage of making respectable mixing consoles.

Allen and Heath has released the Qu24, and that is in the price neighborhood of the aforementioned mentioned boards, and also looks like a pretty good choice.

When the LS9 came out it was a value leader, today I don't know why anybody would buy one. In my opinion it is very difficult to navigate, and very noisy.

Although I am not crazy about installing a product that says behringer on it, I appreciate the fact that they have caused all these other manufacturers to introduce products that are competitive with it. Unfortunately Yamaha is not among them. Yamaha needs to release a board that is one third the price of the current LS9, and much improved over it as well.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Scott Helmke

« Reply #17 on: March 09, 2014, 08:36:29 AM »

Although I am not crazy about installing a product that says behringer on it, I appreciate the fact that they have caused all these other manufacturers to introduce products that are competitive with it. Unfortunately Yamaha is not among them. Yamaha needs to release a board that is one third the price of the current LS9, and much improved over it as well.

...and with that Yamaha reliability too? How much extra would you be willing to pay for a console that's probably going to outlive the Behringer product by a decade?

John Roberts {JR}

• Hickory, Mississippi, USA
    • Resotune
« Reply #18 on: March 09, 2014, 11:47:09 AM »

If I were competing directly with Behringer I'd want to be Yamaha or a similar company. It will take good design and cost effective manufacturing. Yamaha is not a stranger to either.

Yamaha did not stay in business for hundreds of years by giving up markets they pioneered (like digital mixers).

Just sayin... not predicting.

JR
Cancel the "cancel culture". Do not participate in mob hatred.

Justice C. Bigler

• SR Forums
  • Tulsa, Oklahoma
    • My homepage
« Reply #19 on: March 09, 2014, 06:05:32 PM »

...and with that Yamaha reliability too? How much extra would you be willing to pay for a console that's probably going to outlive the Behringer product by a decade?

This x1,000...If there is any company in the pro audio (and pro music) industry that can take on Behrigner/Music Group, it IS Yamaha, and I'm pretty sure their plan involves cost effective products that have a quality that Behringer can't even come close to.
Justice C. Bigler
Business Rep, IATSE Local 354
www.justicebigler.com

ProSoundWeb Community

« Reply #19 on: March 09, 2014, 06:05:32 PM »

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 11   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.05 seconds with 24 queries.