ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Anybody know anything about SACOM wireless?  (Read 1985 times)

Ed Walters

Anybody know anything about SACOM wireless?
« on: March 05, 2014, 01:47:45 pm »

In my extra day-job role as a public servant, I'm being asked to approve a system design including SACOM wireless. Web says its a Sabine product, uncompressed UHF digital. The spec is for 16 channels, and it is going to co exist with at least 20 channels of Shure ULX and SLX stuff, although the spec leaves that minor fact out.

Anybody know if this product, which they themselves compare to ULXD, but half the cost, is any good?

Ed Walters

Ed Walters

Re: Anybody know anything about SACOM wireless?
« Reply #1 on: March 06, 2014, 08:29:22 am »

Bumping this, I know it's usually frowned on, but I have to vote to recommend it or not, and there are other issues in the bid, and overall it is $221K of taxpayer dollars being spent on AV in a 700 seat public high school auditorium...Please tell me if you know anything about this product.

Ed Walters

Aaron Talley

« Reply #2 on: March 06, 2014, 09:35:05 am »

I haven't heard of this before now.
Looks like they are in Florida, call them and see what they have to say.
Ask for a reference.

Scott Hofmann

« Reply #3 on: March 06, 2014, 10:14:59 am »

I've visited their booth at Infocomm and another AV show in the last couple of years. They are not a new startup. From actually handling it, the gear seems to be quite well-made and has a lot of thoughtful features. The SACOM website has quite a bit of info too. There does seem to be some connection with Sabine.
I have never actually used it on a project yet.
Scott Hofmann

Justice C. Bigler

• SR Forums
  • back home in Oklahoma
    • My homepage
« Reply #4 on: March 06, 2014, 11:29:04 am »

Did you specify the frequency allocations needed in the bid? And does the SACOM gear meet that part of the spec?

If it's analog UHF, it should coexist as long the the frequency allocations is right and is all coordinated properly. The longer term quality and user friendliness I ca't comment on because I haven't seen or heard it.

Edit:Upon further review, it looks like the Sacom stuff is digital, encrypted and operates in the 902 to 928MHz band.
« Last Edit: March 06, 2014, 11:37:05 am by Justice C. Bigler »
Justice C. Bigler
www.justicebigler.com

John Rutirasiri

« Reply #5 on: March 19, 2014, 03:03:59 pm »

In my extra day-job role as a public servant, I'm being asked to approve a system design including SACOM wireless. Web says its a Sabine product, uncompressed UHF digital. The spec is for 16 channels, and it is going to co exist with at least 20 channels of Shure ULX and SLX stuff, although the spec leaves that minor fact out.

Anybody know if this product, which they themselves compare to ULXD, but half the cost, is any good?

Ed Walters

Yes, SACOM wireless is Sabine.  I love Sabine products -- tuners, GraphiQ, FBX2400, podium mics, etc.  But I stay away from their wireless mics.  They were one of the first to get into digital wireless and the 2.4GHZ spectrum, and at the time they had a lot of performance (range and dropout) issues.  I'm sure things have improved significantly, but approach with caution and do you DD.  Just test the hell out of it before committing.

It would not be a problem to coexist with Shure ULX/SLX because Sabine uses the 928MHz band that once was used by cordless phones, wireless "air" cards, and now is used mostly for ham radios, walkie talkies, and telemetry.  As far as I know, Shure doesn't even sell products in that band for the US market.

Regards,
JR
ClearImpact Sound & Event Services, Inc.
Sound/Lighting/Corporate A/V

"If it ain't broke, make it better."

ProSoundWeb Community

« Reply #5 on: March 19, 2014, 03:03:59 pm »

Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.052 seconds with 22 queries.