ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: [1] 2 3   Go Down

Author Topic: Getting the most out of Danley TH 115s???  (Read 10678 times)

Gene Flynn

Getting the most out of Danley TH 115s???
« on: March 02, 2014, 02:30:05 PM »

I currently have 4 TH 115s with 2 more on the way.  I am running each pair with Crown XTI 6002.  I am running them in strereo.  The amps are rated at 2100W @ 4o in full, so plenty of power there.  I tried to run them mono from a Behringer CX 2310 and didnt like the sound..  The amp has 3 settings for input mode 1- stereo, 2- Sum (chan1+chan2)- both chan 1and 2 input signals are summed and led to both outs which leads to a 6 dB level boost, 3- Input Y- chan 1 input signal is sent to chan 1and chan2 output. Chan 2 input signl is ignored.
For the mono out I used the Y and left in stereo.  I can not daisy chain them due to the 4o load.
I have no idea what the Sum would do?
It sounded better running both channels in stereo, but thats really not the way they should be run- right??
I Just want to get the most out of these subs..  Next step would be to bridge mono them- BUT I would need 6 amps and thats a bit costly...
Any help is appreciated..
Thanks

Ivan Beaver

• Atlanta GA
Re: Getting the most out of Danley TH 115s???
« Reply #1 on: March 02, 2014, 04:15:06 PM »

I currently have 4 TH 115s with 2 more on the way.  I am running each pair with Crown XTI 6002.  I am running them in strereo.  The amps are rated at 2100W @ 4o in full, so plenty of power there.  I tried to run them mono from a Behringer CX 2310 and didnt like the sound..  The amp has 3 settings for input mode 1- stereo, 2- Sum (chan1+chan2)- both chan 1and 2 input signals are summed and led to both outs which leads to a 6 dB level boost, 3- Input Y- chan 1 input signal is sent to chan 1and chan2 output. Chan 2 input signl is ignored.
For the mono out I used the Y and left in stereo.  I can not daisy chain them due to the 4o load.
It sounded better running both channels in stereo, but thats really not the way they should be run- right??
I Just want to get the most out of these subs..  Next step would be to bridge mono them- BUT I would need 6 amps and thats a bit costly...
Any help is appreciated..
Thanks
I would 'assume" the sum is the bridge mode-but not sure.

I would simply Y the inputs and run a single cabinet per channel.

I you use the bridge mode (sum?) and you do not change the wiring of how the speakers hook to the amp-channel 2 will cancel channel one.

The 6dB boost comes from doubling the voltage capability of the amplifier.  But it does at the "price" of not being to drive as low of an impedance.

I try not to bridge if I don't have to.

You should be able to Y the signal to at least 10 amp channels with no issue (maybe more).

The Y position should be the same as if you took a physical Y cable and hooked to both inputs while the amp is in stereo mode.

You should not think of the amp as "stereo" but rather as 2 channels that you are trying to send the same signal to.
A complex question is easily answered by a simple-easy to understand WRONG answer!

Ivan Beaver
Danley Sound Labs

PHYSICS- NOT FADS!

Gene Flynn

« Reply #2 on: March 02, 2014, 04:49:20 PM »

Ivan, just so I have this right;
For the Y set up= So just one interconnect from my mixer Chan 1 to the amp chan 1, (leaving the cables to subs in both channels= "single cabinet per channel") then just link the amps??   Sorry I am a visual person, I had to draw it out... ;D
Thanks
I would 'assume" the sum is the bridge mode-but not sure.

I would simply Y the inputs and run a single cabinet per channel.

I you use the bridge mode (sum?) and you do not change the wiring of how the speakers hook to the amp-channel 2 will cancel channel one.

The 6dB boost comes from doubling the voltage capability of the amplifier.  But it does at the "price" of not being to drive as low of an impedance.

I try not to bridge if I don't have to.

You should be able to Y the signal to at least 10 amp channels with no issue (maybe more).

The Y position should be the same as if you took a physical Y cable and hooked to both inputs while the amp is in stereo mode.

You should not think of the amp as "stereo" but rather as 2 channels that you are trying to send the same signal to.

Paul G. OBrien

« Reply #3 on: March 02, 2014, 04:55:39 PM »

I tried to run them mono from a Behringer CX 2310 and didn't like the sound..
How did you have the crossover configured?
What didn't you like about the sound?

The amp has 3 settings for input mode 1- stereo, 2- Sum  3- Input Y.
It would be the same as Sum with the CX2310.

It sounded better running both channels in stereo,
It could simply be that the source material you are using has stereo processing(effects) in the bass/sub region and it partially cancels when summed to mono. There is nothing wring with feeding subs a "stereo" signal, if it sounds better to you that's all that matters.

Tim McCulloch

• SR Forums
  • Wichita, Kansas USA
« Reply #4 on: March 02, 2014, 05:05:05 PM »

Hi Gene-

Your understanding of "Y" is correct.  It's like a physical Y cable that connects both amp inputs to a single source cable.  "SUM" mixes the signals from both inputs and sends the result to both sides of the amp, where you can maintain separate level control, EQ, delay and other processing.  Bridge mode operates in the customary manner, inverting the polarity of one amp channel and having the output on the positive terminals from each amp channel.  Paul's comment about possible source material idiosyncrasies should be explored.

@ Ivan, no, SUM is not Bridge.  See above.
"If you're passing on your way, from Palm Springs to L.A., Give a wave to good ol' Dave, Say hello to progress and goodbye to the Moonlight Motor Inn." - Steve Spurgin, Moonlight Motor Inn

Gene Flynn

« Reply #5 on: March 02, 2014, 06:00:59 PM »

How did you have the crossover configured?
What didn't you like about the sound?
 It would be the same as Sum with the CX2310.
 It could simply be that the source material you are using has stereo processing(effects) in the bass/sub region and it partially cancels when summed to mono. There is nothing wring with feeding subs a "stereo" signal, if it sounds better to you that's all that matters.
Paul, I have the internal crossovers set in the amp via computer at 30 and 105.  The crossover on the mono out 2310 I just put all the way up to i think at 240 figuring the amp xover would take over and it wouldnt play high than 105.
With all gain setting the same as the stereo set up- I didnt hardly have any sub response, very shallow??   
Im just always looking for the best possible way to set up to get everything out of the subs...
Is it true though set up in stereo that on side will be playing less dB then the other?

Ivan Beaver

• Atlanta GA
« Reply #6 on: March 02, 2014, 06:16:06 PM »

@ Ivan, no, SUM is not Bridge.  See above.
Thanks for the clarification.

A question can you "sum" the 2 inputs and then Y them to both outputs?
A complex question is easily answered by a simple-easy to understand WRONG answer!

Ivan Beaver
Danley Sound Labs

PHYSICS- NOT FADS!

Ivan Beaver

• Atlanta GA
« Reply #7 on: March 02, 2014, 06:18:32 PM »

With all gain setting the same as the stereo set up- I didnt hardly have any sub response, very shallow??   
Im just always looking for the best possible way to set up to get everything out of the subs...
Is it true though set up in stereo that on side will be playing less dB then the other?
If that is the case I suspect something is out of polarity in the system.  It could be a speaker cable-a mic cable etc.

The only reason one side would be quieter than the other in stereo would be if the bass signal was panned more to one channel than the other.

But in most cases the bass is mono so they should be the same.  Unless something is wrong-bad cable etc.

Ivan Beaver
Danley Sound Labs

PHYSICS- NOT FADS!

Gene Flynn

« Reply #8 on: March 02, 2014, 06:45:44 PM »

If that is the case I suspect something is out of polarity in the system.  It could be a speaker cable-a mic cable etc.

The only reason one side would be quieter than the other in stereo would be if the bass signal was panned more to one channel than the other.

But in most cases the bass is mono so they should be the same.  Unless something is wrong-bad cable etc.
OK, so having said that about stereo, what would be the benefit of using the Y? 
Thanks

Ivan Beaver

• Atlanta GA
« Reply #9 on: March 02, 2014, 07:36:21 PM »

OK, so having said that about stereo, what would be the benefit of using the Y? 
Thanks
So that you can drive both channels with a single input.

That is the case with a lot of amps-but there those that have a switch or setting to take a single input (usually A or 1) and drive both channels.

Ivan Beaver
Danley Sound Labs

PHYSICS- NOT FADS!

ProSoundWeb Community

« Reply #9 on: March 02, 2014, 07:36:21 PM »

Pages: [1] 2 3   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.04 seconds with 23 queries.