ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Question: running Si Expression and feeding an assisted listening device  (Read 4009 times)

Jack Hughes

Greetings.

I am running a Soundcraft Si Expression 3 installed in a small theater setting. We have an Telex assisted listening system. The audio feed to the Telex is coming from output patch 2 from my L&R mains on my Expression. My L&R output patch 1 goes to my FOH rack.

I decided to feed the Telex from the L&R output instead of a Matrix out because it guarantees there will always be a signal to the Telex.

Here is my problem. The audio feed to the Telex is too hot. I have set the Telex input to attenuate the signal by -36db and it's still spiking at about +5 db.

I have looked at the Expression 3 manual and cannot find a way to set different output levels for L&R Output Patch 1 and 2. Attenuating output Patch 2 going to the Telex would be the ideal answer.

Does anyone know if I can set a different level for L&R Output patch 2 vs. 1? If that won't work, would that answer be to insert a signal pad box between my L&R output and my Telex? If so then what unit would you recommend?

Thanks
Jack

Samuel Rees

• Washington, D.C.
Re: Question: running Si Expression and feeding an assisted listening device
« Reply #1 on: February 24, 2014, 01:05:43 PM »

Use a matrix! This is PRECISELY the sort of thing to use a matrix for. Feed the matrix with the LR, and it will give you a copy of the LR, but with its own output control.

Why would you think that this method will any less guarantee signal to the telex than a direct output? You can set it, and forget it.

Tom Bourke

• http://www.cwalv.com
« Reply #2 on: February 24, 2014, 01:09:14 PM »

I usually take a room mic (preferred) or a feed from the main processing rack.  This helps eliminate user error preventing signal reaching the hearing assist.  A room mic helps with groups that are not using microphones.
I have a mild form of Dyslexia that affects my ability to spell.  I do use spell checking to help but it does not always work.  My form of Dyslexia does not affect my reading.  Dyslexics of the world untie! <a href="http://www.cwalv.com" target="_blank">http://www.cwalv.com</a>

g'bye, Dick Rees

• Duluth
« Reply #3 on: February 24, 2014, 01:15:19 PM »

Greetings.

I am running a Soundcraft Si Expression 3 installed in a small theater setting. We have an Telex assisted listening system. The audio feed to the Telex is coming from output patch 2 from my L&R mains on my Expression. My L&R output patch 1 goes to my FOH rack.

I decided to feed the Telex from the L&R output instead of a Matrix out because it guarantees there will always be a signal to the Telex.

Here is my problem. The audio feed to the Telex is too hot. I have set the Telex input to attenuate the signal by -36db and it's still spiking at about +5 db.

I have looked at the Expression 3 manual and cannot find a way to set different output levels for L&R Output Patch 1 and 2. Attenuating output Patch 2 going to the Telex would be the ideal answer.

Does anyone know if I can set a different level for L&R Output patch 2 vs. 1? If that won't work, would that answer be to insert a signal pad box between my L&R output and my Telex? If so then what unit would you recommend?

Thanks
Jack

Use a matrix.
Pay no attention to the man behind the curtain...

Samuel Rees

• Washington, D.C.
« Reply #4 on: February 24, 2014, 05:51:51 PM »

From a design perspective on big rigs I prefer to use a matrix from the DSP downstream, but on my small personal rig matrices are how I do this sort of thing regularly.

Ed Walters

• Holland, MI, USA
« Reply #5 on: February 25, 2014, 07:54:17 AM »

Greetings.

Thanks
Jack
i don't know anything about the in-console options here, but this is stupid obvious.

Attenuating 36 dB still gives +5 peaks? That's 41dB too much. The Telex is mic level, you are feeding it line level.  Look at it and see if it will take line level on a trs or get thee an attenuator.  If you need it now, use a direct box with a pad.

Ed Walters
The Solution LLC: certified: AMX, Audio Architect, Composer, ControlSpace, CTS, DanteL3/DDM, Tesira, and more.

Lee Richard

« Reply #6 on: February 25, 2014, 12:33:51 PM »

Another option would be to use a mix bus, set it to post fader, and then set all the channels in that mix to 0db.

Tim McCulloch

• SR Forums
  • Wichita, Kansas USA
« Reply #7 on: February 25, 2014, 01:50:51 PM »

Greetings.

Thanks
Jack

What model is the Telex transmitter?  The ST300 can accept a very wide range of input levels, from mic level to 70v. speaker system.  If you are using the PST170 belt pack transmitter, it only accepts mic level inputs.

A matrix output is ideal for driving an assisted listening system, you have much more control about what goes into that system.

So you're in a small space... what provisions are there to incorporate non-amplified audio into the hearing assistance feed?
"If you're passing on your way, from Palm Springs to L.A., Give a wave to good ol' Dave, Say hello to progress and goodbye to the Moonlight Motor Inn." - Steve Spurgin, Moonlight Motor Inn

Mike Maly

« Reply #8 on: February 27, 2014, 01:40:37 AM »

Use a matrix mix then adjust the matrix master combined with the send levels to the matrix.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
-Maly Sound:
Hear the difference

ProSoundWeb Community

« Reply #8 on: February 27, 2014, 01:40:37 AM »

Pages: [1]   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.034 seconds with 23 queries.