ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Power/All-in-one rack for powered rig  (Read 2414 times)

Mike Sullivan

Power/All-in-one rack for powered rig
« on: February 24, 2014, 01:40:24 AM »

To make my load in and load out of small bars easier, I'm wanting to build a small wheel-mounted "all in one" rack for my rig, with drawers for mics and mic cables, custom made panels to run all power to the case and distribute evenly to two circuits (if needed), and possibly a stage snake mounted (if I try a digital snake option).  I will more than likely get the case from Audiopile (as I've had great luck with their cases), but I'm wondering how to go about with the power patch panel for the speakers.  Would be 1 top, 3 subs, and at least 3-4 monitors on each side.  What would you all recommend doing?  Speakers have IEC inputs, so it would more than likely be Edison plugs and outlets (plus some extra outlets for misc. use, lighting and such)
When you're reading a topic, and the word "Danley" comes up...RUN!!!

Corey Scogin

• Birmingham, AL, US
Re: Power/All-in-one rack for powered rig
« Reply #1 on: February 24, 2014, 12:32:03 PM »

If you're wanting to run every power cable all the way back to the rack, a couple of these would work:
http://www.amazon.com/Tripp-Lite-RS-1215-Rackmount-Outlets/dp/B007RYK2BY

They have receptacles on both sides.  There's also a 20A version if needed.

Brian Jojade

• HappyMac Digital Electronics
« Reply #2 on: February 24, 2014, 12:42:49 PM »

Don't overthink it too much.  You want 2 the ability to run off of 2 circuits.  Build a patch panel with 2 separate power inputs and then a few IECs on each.  If you have only one circuit available, you plug the input of branch 2 back into one outlet on branch 1.  You could get fancy with a switch to do that, but that seems like more work.

A 3 space panel would give you all the space in the world for this.
Brian Jojade

g'bye, Dick Rees

• Duluth
« Reply #3 on: February 24, 2014, 01:09:57 PM »

Speakers have IEC inputs, so it would more than likely be Edison plugs and outlets (plus some extra outlets for misc. use, lighting and such)

I'd consider making your power panel outs a locking connector like a PowerCon.

All-in-one units can turn out to be a bit bulky/heavy at times.  If you've got to negotiate any stairs, etc, you can find yourself wishing that all your eggs were not in a single basket.  You might want to consider dividing the rack into two parts, a lower wheeled section with your power breakout and snake and an upper unit with drawers for your mics, tools and other stuff.  They can latch/strap together for most things and split out to cut weight if and when you have to deal with logistical hurdles.

PS

Make your mic drawers lockable...
Pay no attention to the man behind the curtain...

Mike Sullivan

« Reply #4 on: February 25, 2014, 01:00:19 PM »

Thanks for the replies.  I think a two-space unit will probably work better anyways.  Bottom unit will have power, snake, speaker power cables, etc. in it, and the top unit will house mics, clips, and cables, with the mixer on top.
When you're reading a topic, and the word "Danley" comes up...RUN!!!

ProSoundWeb Community

« Reply #4 on: February 25, 2014, 01:00:19 PM »

Pages: [1]   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.035 seconds with 25 queries.