ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: [1] 2  All   Go Down

Author Topic: Behringer X32 Rack as Buget replacement for Lake 8x8 ?  (Read 15403 times)

theo mack

Behringer X32 Rack as Buget replacement for Lake 8x8 ?
« on: February 23, 2014, 01:37:14 AM »

Wondering if anyone has put the X32, 3 space rack version into service as basically a 8 x 8 insert device for console outputs.

I used to carry an 8x8 DLP for touring to patch across my L R bus, Sub, F Fill, Balcony, Lav Group, etc?

For the $1050 price point, the X32 rack has 8 in 16 out and ipad control. Seems like it could do a similar job as 2 LabGruppen LM44 at 1/6th the price.

Has anybody tried it in this kind of application?

Obviously the x32 couldn't do the crossover functions, And the Lake software is designed exactly for this application. And the user control is much better but I'm really curious to see if anyone has used it as basically patchable inserts for another console.  IE:Remote controllable graphs and output delays.

Tim Padrick

• Indianapolis
    • T.P. Audio
Re: Behringer X32 Rack as Buget replacement for Lake 8x8 ?
« Reply #1 on: February 23, 2014, 02:41:14 AM »

As I understand it, the X32 V2 firmware gives the matrix buses the necessaries for basic crossover functions.

Ales Dravinec

• ADRaudio, Slovenia
« Reply #2 on: February 23, 2014, 02:45:00 AM »

Sure, Theo.

But why limit yourself at 16x8 ?
It IS 22x14 ….

Great application possibility, among many many others.

w/r

Brad Weber

• Marietta, GA
« Reply #3 on: February 24, 2014, 09:26:43 PM »

While you could certainly use a X32 RACK as a matrix system processor, I would not consider it an equal to the Lab Gruppen/Lake processors.  That extends to both the processing and to features such as AES and Dante I/O.

I believe the X32 RACK's dedicated output processing is limited to an 8 band EQ and a compressor/expander which can be selected for peak or RMS response and set for a 100:1 ratio (no infinite ratio so not really a true limiter, but close).  Delay is available on the inputs but not on the outputs.  If you wanted any other processing on the outputs such as delay, a GEQ or a second limiter to provide both RMS and peak limiting then you'd need to insert one of the X32's 8 stereo effects engines or an external processor.

Mac Kerr

• Old enough to know better
  • Administrator
  • Audio Plumber
« Reply #4 on: February 24, 2014, 09:36:44 PM »

While you could certainly use a X32 RACK as a matrix system processor, I would not consider it an equal to the Lab Gruppen/Lake processors.  That extends to both the processing and to features such as AES and Dante I/O.

I believe the X32 RACK's dedicated output processing is limited to an 8 band EQ and a compressor/expander which can be selected for peak or RMS response and set for a 100:1 ratio (no infinite ratio so not really a true limiter, but close).  Delay is available on the inputs but not on the outputs.  If you wanted any other processing on the outputs such as delay, a GEQ or a second limiter to provide both RMS and peak limiting then you'd need to insert one of the X32's 8 stereo effects engines or an external processor.

You also don't get the Mesa filters that are part of the Lake secret sauce.

If you don't need the features of a Lake, and it is a Behringer budget, get as many Behringer DCX2496 DSPs as you need.

Mac
« Last Edit: February 25, 2014, 05:42:38 PM by Mac Kerr »

theo mack

« Reply #5 on: February 24, 2014, 10:27:46 PM »

If you don't need the features of a Lake, and it is a Behringer budget, get as many Behringer DCX2496 DSPs as you need.

Mac

Yup, No mesa filters, and the interface isn't even close as far as making groups.
But I bet if they wrote a new code for the box it could get really close.

Mac, I'm still having a hard time believing in a Behringer product, but these x32's are showing up all over here in Vegas.

Mark McFarlane

« Reply #6 on: February 24, 2014, 10:56:48 PM »

Mac, I'm still having a hard time believing in a Behringer product, but these x32's are showing up all over here in Vegas.

Perhaps because their repair facility is in Vegas?

Sorry, couldn't help myself,

X32 Rack owner...
Mark McFarlane

Tim McCulloch

• SR Forums
  • Wichita, Kansas USA
« Reply #7 on: February 24, 2014, 11:32:41 PM »

Perhaps because their repair facility is in Vegas?

Sorry, couldn't help myself,

X32 Rack owner...

I was thinking the same thing.
"If you're passing on your way, from Palm Springs to L.A., Give a wave to good ol' Dave, Say hello to progress and goodbye to the Moonlight Motor Inn." - Steve Spurgin, Moonlight Motor Inn

James A. Griffin

« Reply #8 on: February 25, 2014, 05:31:54 PM »

Mac

Mac,

There is something goofy about the way the world wide interweb works here in the deep south.  When I click the Behringer link above, it takes me to an Anne Murray YouTube video.     I love her singing, but didn't expect to find her there  ;-)
I need to determine where in this swamp of unbalanced formulas squatteth the Toad of Truth

Mac Kerr

• Old enough to know better
  • Administrator
  • Audio Plumber
« Reply #9 on: February 25, 2014, 05:43:40 PM »

Mac,

There is something goofy about the way the world wide interweb works here in the deep south.  When I click the Behringer link above, it takes me to an Anne Murray YouTube video.     I love her singing, but didn't expect to find her there  ;-)

Hmmm… My fault, it's fixed now.

Mac

ProSoundWeb Community

« Reply #9 on: February 25, 2014, 05:43:40 PM »

Pages: [1] 2  All   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.045 seconds with 22 queries.