ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Building compact system with a pair of JBL-525's and JBL 515's. Advice?  (Read 2914 times)

Tim Williams

Hello-

Just picked up a pair of JBL-525's and JBL 515's from a friend who is selling the PA from his bar. The price was right and they are VERY lightweight. Lightweight system is a priority for me, as I have a bad back.

The previous owner had these running full-range and daisy chained together. No subs. He powered all four speakers with one Crown XTI-4000

What amps do you think I should mate these up to? I'm a musician and often provide PA for the band, plus I run sound at weddings and concert-in-the-park gigs and the like. Nothing huge, but I would like bigger beefier sound than I was getting in the past.

I own a stack of amps- not sure if any of these are appropriate:

2 QSC-RMX2540
1 QSC-RMX1450
2 QSC-Gx5
1 Crown Microtech 1200
1 Crown Comtech 200

And I have a few random subs; 1 Mackie 1801 (powered 18) and a passive pair of Peavey single 18 cabinets. (old, but light!)

Here are the specs on the JBL MRX Speakers

MRX-515: 8 ohms, single 15 and a horn
Power capacity: Continuous / Program / Peak): 400W/800W/1600W

MRX-515: 4 ohms, dual 15 and a horn
Power Capacity (Continuous / Program / Peak): 800 W / 1600 W / 3200 W

Thank you for any suggestions/tips you might have!

Cecil Abrego

Re: Building compact system with a pair of JBL-525's and JBL 515's. Advice?
« Reply #1 on: February 21, 2014, 11:00:44 am »

I used to run a pair of 525 and a pair of 512 one speaker per channel on an ep4000 which is basically a knock off of your 2450s.  They sounded really good and I never had any problems at all.  You can hear them here  www.youtube.com/fairviewrocks

Tim Williams

« Reply #2 on: February 21, 2014, 01:28:12 pm »

I used to run a pair of 525 and a pair of 512 one speaker per channel on an ep4000 which is basically a knock off of your 2450s.  They sounded really good and I never had any problems at all.  You can hear them here  www.youtube.com/fairviewrocks

[Thanks Cecil for the comment and the videos. That's a Behringer amp you had, isn't it? I've never tried one. Any reliability issues? Mostly I've steered clear of their stuff, because I've had problems with their mixers in the past. I just saw that they are selling a "6000 watt" iNuke amp for only $349 and I wonder if it's actually any good. Kind of getting the too-good-to-be-true vibe./quote]

Taylor Hall

« Reply #3 on: February 21, 2014, 04:55:25 pm »

We've had great results with our EP4000s. They're definitely porkers (45lbs each), but they serve our power needs well given our budgetary constraints. They've outlived two Crown XLS1000s that saw much lighter use as monitor amps and keep on pounding away.

We're currently using 5 of them and have gotten rock-solid performance from them all. They're not ideal as a long-term solution and we're looking to upgrade to some lighter and more powerful tech in the near future, but were definitely enough to get us started off.
There are two ways to do anything:
1) Do it right
2) Do it over until you do it right

Thomas Le

« Reply #4 on: February 21, 2014, 08:01:06 pm »

IMO I would pass on the MRX525, dual 15's for live never sound good as they get really muddy when trying to compensate for no subs.

Run your MRX515 on the GX5 since that's the highest wattage amp you have on your lineup.

What's the model number/name for the peavey subs? If the specs allow, I would run the subs on 2450 bridged each.

Tim Williams

« Reply #5 on: February 24, 2014, 05:57:15 pm »

IMO I would pass on the MRX525, dual 15's for live never sound good as they get really muddy when trying to compensate for no subs.

Run your MRX515 on the GX5 since that's the highest wattage amp you have on your lineup.

What's the model number/name for the peavey subs? If the specs allow, I would run the subs on 2450 bridged each.

[Thanks for the suggestions guys!

Yes, not completely sure I bought the right speakers but what's done is done... it was a package deal and it was remarkably cheap for how much stuff I got.  Never owned any dual 15's before.

I wonder what some of you think about this idea (which requires I come up with a few more bucks)

My sound guy friend is trying to talk me into letting him modify both sets of speakers so they can be bi-amped. He believes the sound will be a lot better, there will be more control, and less horns would be blown...(525's are notorious for their horns blowing- as a matter of fact one was blown when I bought them). He could help me build and wire a rack with four conductor Speakon cables to make setup quicker and easier too.

He wants me to buy a dbx Drive Rack 260 (around $500 used, ouch) and something like a Crown XTi-4000 amp or similar for the JBL's lows. and use my Crown Comtech 200 (class A/B) amp for the highs/horns. That amp is low powered, but is nice and smooth sounding.

And then pick an amp to run subs.

Still own a very old set of PV-118 subs, which are rated at 400 watts program/800 peak I believe. Two sets actually, but one set is in use at a rehearsal space. They're nothing special, but they do take a beating and sound better than they have any right to. Have been to a million gigs. They take more than their share of truck space (bad), but are super light and I can easily move them. (good). Not sure if they are the right size/shape to stack the JBL's on.

When I have a little more dough I could replace them, probably also with set of single 18's due to their ease of moving around. Perhaps the JBL-MRX518 sub that's lightweight, and matches.

Anyone have an opinion on this idea, to bi-amp them?

Thanks

Tim

ProSoundWeb Community

« Reply #5 on: February 24, 2014, 05:57:15 pm »

Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.036 seconds with 25 queries.