ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: 1 [2]  All   Go Down

Author Topic: Yamaha LS9-32. Is time to move on?  (Read 13038 times)

Neil Ottenbreit

Re: Yamaha LS9-32. Is time to move on?
« Reply #10 on: February 19, 2014, 01:59:51 PM »

I don't run a production company. The mixer is primarily for my weekend top 40 dance/cover band. I do production 3-4 small festivals a year. We also do about a dozen two band gigs a year as well. The Ls9 has served us great. I like the digital board because our primary mix is always saved.

The idea of the stage boxes is quite appealing to me as well. We all have day jobs and the band is hobby that produces some supplemental income. For us its all about the in and the out. I can see stage boxes streamlining that a bit.

As far as recording goes. It's not a deal breaker, but I do like to record gigs so I can review them after to see what we're doing right and whats we're doing wrong. The multi track option would be nice for doing more frequent updates to our promo on our website.

Neil

Tim McCulloch

• SR Forums
  • Wichita, Kansas USA
« Reply #11 on: February 19, 2014, 02:53:22 PM »

I don't run a production company. The mixer is primarily for my weekend top 40 dance/cover band. I do production 3-4 small festivals a year. We also do about a dozen two band gigs a year as well. The Ls9 has served us great. I like the digital board because our primary mix is always saved.

The idea of the stage boxes is quite appealing to me as well. We all have day jobs and the band is hobby that produces some supplemental income. For us its all about the in and the out. I can see stage boxes streamlining that a bit.

As far as recording goes. It's not a deal breaker, but I do like to record gigs so I can review them after to see what we're doing right and whats we're doing wrong. The multi track option would be nice for doing more frequent updates to our promo on our website.

Neil

For your band, deploying a digital stage box isn't significantly better or worse than analog subsnake(s) with appropriate connectors.  You're still running a cable somewhere, and now you need AC, too.

Other than occasional recording, I don't see a *compelling* reason to switch.

If you fo' shizzle gonna get good $$ for your Yamaha, you can make this lateral move and keep some change in your pocket.  It will take some of the risk out of your decision.  Remember that mixers with seemingly identical features may have limitations or restrictions that are not apparent until you go to configure something.  Implementations of features are not universal across brands (or even models, sometimes).  Shop carefully to make sure you get what you need.

You'll like the UI of the current generation of digital mixers.  Trust me. :)
"If you're passing on your way, from Palm Springs to L.A., Give a wave to good ol' Dave, Say hello to progress and goodbye to the Moonlight Motor Inn." - Steve Spurgin, Moonlight Motor Inn

Garry Wilson

• Laurel, MD
    • 98.6 Sound
« Reply #12 on: February 19, 2014, 05:15:17 PM »

Hello Folks,

I have a Yamaha LS9-32 that I really like, but I am thinking it might be time to move on. The new offerings such as the Soundcraft s3, Behringer X32, and the Allen and Heath Qu-24 got me thinking. I can still get decent money for my LS9. For what I sell my LS9 for I can buy one of these other units plus the stage box.

These new crop of digital mixers seem to be much more feature rich as well. Useful features such as multi track recording, etc.

Would I be making a mistake by doing this?

What are you thoughts.

Thanks,
Neil

Neil,

I'm also on the fence of 'sell or not to sell". I've thought seriously about selling over the past 6 months and realize that the resale value is slowing eroding and could take a nose dive at any time. I really dread the possibility of getting caught on the wrong end. There are a lot more choices in the sub $10K mixers now, much better user interface and cheaper, however none seem to carry as much legitimate clout in this class as the LS9, at least not yet. Since you're not a production company or soundco, this really doesn't matter. For you, now may be a great time to move. I've thought about the Expression 3, but feel like the Performer 3 would be the better "lateral" move. However I'd rather pay Expression money and still don't feel as though the Performer carries as much swag as the LS9 for the money, at least not yet. I've read and heard great things about the X32 as well. I'm still waiting to see who is the legitimate heir to the LS9. It seems as if they all have a good case, depending on your needs. Where's the LS10? Given all the new goodies you get in the $3K - $8K class, for me  1 to 1 fader count is preferred. I don't know why Soundcraft thought is was a bright idea to short 2 faders on their mixers :o  I did sell one of my Presonus mixers for an Expression 2 and loving it.

For the most part, when my gear is starting to get a little long in tooth, I like to replace it while I can still get decent money out of it. Which is why I'm right where you are. I know this rant isn't much of an answer, just letting you know I feel your pain.  :-\

Garry W

Garry W.
CTS, SBE-CEV, A+
www.986sound.com

David Parker

« Reply #13 on: February 19, 2014, 06:11:56 PM »

Neil

the LS9 makes nice MP3 recordings directly into a memory stick, great for review after the gig. Can't remix, but you don't need to remix for review. I worried about my 01V96 losing value and sold it, shot too low, it went quick, hadn't lost any value yet. I think the LS9 will hold it's value longer than you might think.

Bob Charest

• Lab Lounge
  • Westbrook ME, USA
    • Bob Charest Band
« Reply #14 on: February 19, 2014, 06:37:34 PM »

Ours does the job for us, although a smaller footprint might be pretty inviting. Right now, it's paid for, stable, useful and we can rent another and load our scenes into it when the occasion arises.

That's goodness!

Bill Burford

« Reply #15 on: February 19, 2014, 07:09:11 PM »

I agree with keeping the LS-9.  I have been doing lots of house gigs either on the LS-9 or Pre Sonus or X32.  Because of the places I've seen Yamaha boards, I think I would rather be doing reps on a Yamaha interface regardless of what features are there.   the LS-9 has been out for a while and its still solid.

If money were no object, I'd almost automatically get a CL3 right now.  But I definitely like the audio from a Soundcraft.  If I were in your position I'd definitely keep the board.  To be honest, I still don't own a digital console and I check prices on LS-9's all the time.  I'm definitely torn though, I ultimately may go for sound-quality over functionality since mixing other bands (requires speed or building a resume) has been a declining priority in my life.
This forum helped me

Connif Boudoin

« Reply #16 on: February 25, 2014, 08:41:29 AM »

This is a really good topic. I own an LS9 and several other analog and digital computer mixers (SAC). They have channel counts up to 56 channels. I always seem to pull out the LS9 first. All my guys prefer the LS9 also. It's the go to mixer for almost everything we do with the exception of the really small stuff with a few mics and music. The one thing my computers don't do is save the preamp gains and they can't use an ipad. It doesn't support the ipad. The smaller mixers don't have the channel count or the split surface for running monitors. I have looked at the X32 many times, it doesn't do what we need. Hardly any bands we play for are less than 16 channels that we could split the channels on a X32. Never considered the presonus, never really liked it. No saved preamp gains and no autofaders, no sends on faders. Just wasn't for me. If the x32 was a split surface like the LS9 I would own several.

Just my humble opinion, I wouldn't get rid of my LS9 unless something came along that has the same channel count, more EQs and effects, and costs less with similar quality.

Paul Drenth

« Reply #17 on: February 25, 2014, 11:40:48 AM »

My vote is with the Yamaha. I use an X32 at a small church plant and after just 1 year it's starting to show some troubling signs, such as glitchy software and frequently used buttons are sticking below the surface. And even if it didn't have these issues, it's just not as easy to get around on as the LS9. IMO.

I have used several different LS-9 desks over hundreds of events. Never a single issue. Ever.

I'm willing to sacrifice a little bit of outdatedness and a lack of some "features" that newer desks have if it means it works every time.

Mark McFarlane

« Reply #18 on: February 25, 2014, 11:55:26 AM »

FWIW, for the ~ price of a new LS-9 you can get a GLD-112 with 32 channels of stage box. Another contender.
Mark McFarlane

ProSoundWeb Community

« Reply #18 on: February 25, 2014, 11:55:26 AM »

Pages: 1 [2]  All   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.039 seconds with 24 queries.