ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: [1] 2  All   Go Down

Author Topic: Yamaha LS9-32. Is time to move on?  (Read 12940 times)

Neil Ottenbreit

Yamaha LS9-32. Is time to move on?
« on: February 19, 2014, 02:18:04 AM »

Hello Folks,

I have a Yamaha LS9-32 that I really like, but I am thinking it might be time to move on. The new offerings such as the Soundcraft s3, Behringer X32, and the Allen and Heath Qu-24 got me thinking. I can still get decent money for my LS9. For what I sell my LS9 for I can buy one of these other units plus the stage box.

These new crop of digital mixers seem to be much more feature rich as well. Useful features such as multi track recording, etc.

Would I be making a mistake by doing this?

What are you thoughts.

Thanks,
Neil

Tim Padrick

• Indianapolis
    • T.P. Audio
Re: Yamaha LS9-32. Is time to move on?
« Reply #1 on: February 19, 2014, 02:28:06 AM »

With most of the new ones, you would lose faders.  You might lose the ability to have a house layer and a monitor layer.  You would gain various features, depending on the new board.  'They' seem to feel that most if not all of the current crop sound better.  I'm torn on this one myself, but it's not my venue or money.  When the M32 comes out, I may recommend having a look."

And don't forget the GLD.

Kirby Yarbrough

• SR Forums
  • Reston, Virginia
« Reply #2 on: February 19, 2014, 08:29:39 AM »

I can still get decent money for my LS9. For what I sell my LS9 for I can buy one of these other units plus the stage box.
OTOH, if the LS9 is paid for, then it's producing a great bottom line, and it's rock solid reliable (I own one as well, and am waiting on news of the rumored Yamaha LS9 replacement).

more feature rich as well
Do you need the additional features? As Tim said, have you considered what features (including workflow) you might be giving up?  May be trivial, but have you built a large library of scenes on the console that would have to be re-created?

Brian Adams

• Adams Production Services
« Reply #3 on: February 19, 2014, 10:10:22 AM »

I think the LS9's days are numbered as far as being an acceptable console. That said, at the moment I think it's still a step up from something like the X32. It's not going to be a step up from mixers in that price range for long though, and once it's not you might have trouble getting a decent price for it when you sell it.

If I were you, I'd be thinking about getting away from your LS9 sooner rather than later. Just my opinion.
Brian Adams
Adams Production Services
Vermillion, SD
adamsproductionservices.com

Scott Helmke

« Reply #4 on: February 19, 2014, 10:14:45 AM »

I would only worry about whether customers are asking you to upgrade. The LS9 is as good as it ever was (I think it's a fine console, though some others will loudly disagree), and has that Yamaha reliability.

Out on weekend festivals I still see an 01v96 on occasion - still making money for its owner.

John Chiara

« Reply #5 on: February 19, 2014, 10:30:44 AM »

I think the LS9's days are numbered as far as being an acceptable console. That said, at the moment I think it's still a step up from something like the X32. It's not going to be a step up from mixers in that price range for long though, and once it's not you might have trouble getting a decent price for it when you sell it.

If I were you, I'd be thinking about getting away from your LS9 sooner rather than later. Just my opinion.

A local church just did a fresh install with an LS9.... Got me scratching my head. Their other location is a Profile.

Corey Scogin

• Birmingham, AL, US
« Reply #6 on: February 19, 2014, 10:46:29 AM »

I recently went from an LS9-16 to an X32 Compact + stageboxes.  I have no regrets.  I more or less traded even after also selling my recording rack and just using an already-owned laptop for live tracking.  I think the X32 is a step up from the LS9-16.  Larger channel count, larger tool set, more flexibility, probably better sound.

All of our situations differ though.  I only do live sound as side-work/hobby so my purchases aren't determined as much by whether or not a piece of equipment makes me money but by what I enjoy working with and can reasonably afford.

Samuel Rees

• Washington, D.C.
« Reply #7 on: February 19, 2014, 11:21:49 AM »

I like some of the new gear, I bought an Si Compact, but the LS9 is still a rock solid badass if you own it and it's paid for. There some features available on the. New desks such as easy multitrack, more FX, more GEQ and digital snakes, but the one thing no one has exactly replicated is the 1-1 second layer.   

Do you run short on GEQ or FX processors at gigs? Or do your clients demand / need more I/O? Are you about to tie your analog snake to itself and toss it into the river? :) unless one if these reasons is beating down your door, I'd say stick with her. It's hardly a 'washed up' desk or anything - they're still everywhere in my area (WashDC/VA).

Tim McCulloch

• SR Forums
  • Wichita, Kansas USA
« Reply #8 on: February 19, 2014, 12:24:39 PM »

Hello Folks,

I have a Yamaha LS9-32 that I really like, but I am thinking it might be time to move on. The new offerings such as the Soundcraft s3, Behringer X32, and the Allen and Heath Qu-24 got me thinking. I can still get decent money for my LS9. For what I sell my LS9 for I can buy one of these other units plus the stage box.

These new crop of digital mixers seem to be much more feature rich as well. Useful features such as multi track recording, etc.

Would I be making a mistake by doing this?

What are you thoughts.

Thanks,
Neil

Disclaimers: I own an X32 & a pair of 01v96, and the firm I manage has LS9, M7, SC48 and Profile/MixRacks.  We generally fill rider requirements; it's not often we get to pick mixers.

If your LS9 is paid for, it's making you money every time you use it.  It's rock-solid and established.  If you or your crew are the primary users of it, I'd not change unless you *need* features not available in the LS9.

Do you really need multitrack recording?  I guess I missed out on craze, because it's something we're asked about maybe once a year.  Two track recordings are common, though...  At any rate, I'm amazed by the amount of traffic about recording in live sound forums, so perhaps it's a market position thing... we don't do a lot of 'aspiring' music work - we get 'em on the way up and on the way down.

Before you decide to replace your LS9, you need to keep in mind what it does that many of the current generation of mixers will not:  random channel linking/pairing is one.  Custom layers are another (some do, some don't).

In our work we need 6 (or more, things like intercom, dry lines for artist use, etc) analog lines and power between FOH and stage, regardless of digital i/o racks on stage.  Unless you can do everything down the CAT5e cable, you'll still end up with a bundle (although it will be smaller) of cables running back & forth.

In the small-ish mixer category, the 01v96s go out regularly.  The LS9 frequently rents to local AV shops that need more inputs, but internally it's being supplanted by the X32 on shows where the brand will not freak out the clients AND the input delays are needed.  The M7s and AVID mixers stay very busy, but I suspect it's the nature of our client base.

My generic business advice regarding capital equipment purchases - buy IF the new product will allow you to charge a higher fee to existing clients; buy IF the new product will contribute major savings in transportation, handling, warehousing, repair costs etc over the *commercial* life of the product; buy IF you can sub-rent the product to other firms; buy IF the new product purchases you some opportunity - bidding on gigs that you are shut out of because you have an LS/9.  Words of wisdom - excess capacity is infinity expensive.  The wrong product at the right price is still the wrong product.  Buy once, cry once.
"If you're passing on your way, from Palm Springs to L.A., Give a wave to good ol' Dave, Say hello to progress and goodbye to the Moonlight Motor Inn." - Steve Spurgin, Moonlight Motor Inn

Aaron Talley

« Reply #9 on: February 19, 2014, 12:35:24 PM »

We moved on.
We are glad we did.
For the LS9 that we moved out we bought an x32 with stage racks and had a little extra spending money left over. It rents for a little more than the LS9 with the racks.

That move also was in line with our client base and no one was bothered at all. We were never asked for or sought out because we had an LS9. I think we have gotten a couple people who rented the x32 because it still has a novelty factor.
If they want something more, then we send an SC48.

If your people want and are very much in love with the LS9 then you might stick with it a little longer.
If there is a "new" LS9 coming in the near future, you don't want to hold onto it so long that you lose a lot of value in the used market. There is a good market right now, we have sold 3 LS9 in the past few months.

I know there are some guys around me that did the same thing I did and got Soundcrafts and A&H.

If it is consistently renting, don't mess up a good thing.

ProSoundWeb Community

« Reply #9 on: February 19, 2014, 12:35:24 PM »

Pages: [1] 2  All   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.044 seconds with 24 queries.