ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4   Go Down

Author Topic: Tannoy VQ series compression driver  (Read 16388 times)

Mac Kerr

• Old enough to know better
  • Administrator
  • Audio Plumber
Re: Tannoy VQ series compression driver
« Reply #10 on: February 18, 2014, 02:48:11 PM »

A complete lack of high end would indicate the HF portion of the coax is burnt out, leaving virtually no response (steep roll off) above around 6 kHz.

Beta 58 would sound like it has a pair of gym socks over it.

The description of the signal chain indicates that the high end doesn't even have an amp attached to it. It's harder to blow the driver that way. Or full range audio is connected to both the low and the mid/hi inputs to the speaker, in which case the drivers may in fact be blown. In either case it is a gross misuse of a pretty good speaker.

Mac

Ivan Beaver

• Atlanta GA
« Reply #11 on: February 18, 2014, 07:32:31 PM »

BMS 4592
I have only seen the inside of 1 VQ cabinet and the driver was not the BMS4592.

It was a large ceramic coax driver that did not look anything like the BMS.

A complex question is easily answered by a simple-easy to understand WRONG answer!

Ivan Beaver
Danley Sound Labs

PHYSICS- NOT FADS!

Adrian Bamford

• Is it that time already?
« Reply #12 on: February 19, 2014, 07:03:12 AM »

OK - misinformation. Turns out that what they actually have up there is the VQMB and a VQ85 down-fill  underneath - three hangs, L, R & Ctr. Each hang is being run full-range with a channel of the Lab C:28.4. The system does indeed sound like a Gym sock is in place. They blew all the HF in the DF cabs recently and had them replaced so now they're brand new but still sound like socks. I sympathise as I would probably blow the HF myself if I had to do a band with this system - there's no way a vocal would cut through. I've not used this gear before so I'm interested to know whether anyone has had a similar, or dissimilar, experience.

Mike Pyle

• Santa Rosa, CA
« Reply #13 on: February 19, 2014, 10:47:22 AM »

OK - misinformation. Turns out that what they actually have up there is the VQMB and a VQ85 down-fill  underneath - three hangs, L, R & Ctr. Each hang is being run full-range with a channel of the Lab C:28.4. The system does indeed sound like a Gym sock is in place. They blew all the HF in the DF cabs recently and had them replaced so now they're brand new but still sound like socks. I sympathise as I would probably blow the HF myself if I had to do a band with this system - there's no way a vocal would cut through. I've not used this gear before so I'm interested to know whether anyone has had a similar, or dissimilar, experience.

At the least, they are still missing a crossover between the MB and the DF. If the MB is being run full range without processing I expect it sounds awful. If that has been overlooked there is no telling what else may be wrong.
Mike Pyle  Audiopyle Sound  707-315-6204
Dealer For: JBL, Soundcraft, Crown, dbx, AKG, Yorkville, EV, QSC, RCF, FBT, Danley Sound Labs, Meyer Sound, Fulcrum Acoustic, Tannoy, Lab Gruppen, Powersoft, Linea Research, EAW, Allen & Heath, Ashly, APB, Audix, One Systems, Presonus, K&M, Ultimate, Global Truss, Intellistage, SKB, Gator, Radial Engineering, Turbosound, Midas, dB Technologies, American DJ, Odyssey, ProCo, Rapco, CBI, Elation, Mipro, Chauvet, Blizzard, Shure, Whirlwind, Bassboss, Yamaha, Line 6, Behringer, On-Stage, more...

gordonmcgregor

« Reply #14 on: February 19, 2014, 01:27:58 PM »

At the least, they are still missing a crossover between the MB and the DF. If the MB is being run full range without processing I expect it sounds awful. If that has been overlooked there is no telling what else may be wrong.
The DF and MB boxes are effectively a VQ cabinet separated into 2 independant boxes it allows you to make up clusters to suit the individual installation, at the very least there has to be an active crossover of around 450Hz between the 2 sections and probably a high pass of 90Hz on the the MB box would not be a bad idea. Continued use this way will blow the system again (probably already has by the sound of it) and I know that co-ax is not a cheap device to replace, even a cheap Behringer DSP will do if money is an issue, also the DF cab really only needs about 400w max  so there's way more power than needed there as well.

Adrian Bamford

« Reply #15 on: February 20, 2014, 05:46:58 AM »

Thanks for the comments. It seems that the HF shouldn't be suspect in this system if it's installed properly; which was the point of my initial question. There's no system management unit, so likely no crossover between the VQMH and down-fill box. This would seem to be the prime suspect as the VQMH trying to reproduce HF, alongside the VQDF trying to reproduce low end - well! Currently, 125Hz X-over (for the dual 18 subs) and all delay settings are achieved through the digital console.

Ivan Beaver

• Atlanta GA
« Reply #16 on: February 20, 2014, 07:24:07 AM »

Thanks for the comments. It seems that the HF shouldn't be suspect in this system if it's installed properly; which was the point of my initial question. There's no system management unit, so likely no crossover between the VQMH and down-fill box. This would seem to be the prime suspect as the VQMH trying to reproduce HF, alongside the VQDF trying to reproduce low end - well! Currently, 125Hz X-over (for the dual 18 subs) and all delay settings are achieved through the digital console.
A few measurements would go A LONG way and help to stop "guessing".

People can speculate all day long-but a quick measurement can show all kinds of things----------

I had a case in which the contractor had many many trips to the job site-brought in many people to listen etc because stereo system did not "sound" the same  and had a different tonal character as was not "balanced" when standing in the middle.

A quick measurement showed one side a couple of dB louder than the other.  There was some 'double routing" in the digital console.

So many hours had been spent "speculating" and a 20 second measurement showed the problem.

Why measure when you can listen and guess and waste lots of time and feel you are "special"--------

Just sayin'-----------------------------
A complex question is easily answered by a simple-easy to understand WRONG answer!

Ivan Beaver
Danley Sound Labs

PHYSICS- NOT FADS!

Adrian Bamford

« Reply #17 on: February 20, 2014, 10:23:07 AM »

Hi Ivan, I'm all for measuring when it comes to system tuning & setup, but I think it has to be established that the install has been done in a fundamentally correct manner first. This system has been incorrectly installed. There are no electronic crossovers feeding the main system; until that's put right, nothing's going to sound OK.

Tim McCulloch

• SR Forums
  • Wichita, Kansas USA
« Reply #18 on: February 20, 2014, 11:41:14 AM »

Hi Ivan, I'm all for measuring when it comes to system tuning & setup, but I think it has to be established that the install has been done in a fundamentally correct manner first. This system has been incorrectly installed. There are no electronic crossovers feeding the main system; until that's put right, nothing's going to sound OK.

And a measurement session could fully document the FUBAR install.  "See here?  No HF.  See there? Out of polarity LF...."
"If you're passing on your way, from Palm Springs to L.A., Give a wave to good ol' Dave, Say hello to progress and goodbye to the Moonlight Motor Inn." - Steve Spurgin, Moonlight Motor Inn

Matthew Knischewsky

• Kitchener Ontario Canada
« Reply #19 on: February 20, 2014, 12:15:34 PM »

And a measurement session could fully document the FUBAR install.  "See here?  No HF.  See there? Out of polarity LF...."

+1.

ProSoundWeb Community

« Reply #19 on: February 20, 2014, 12:15:34 PM »

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.034 seconds with 22 queries.