ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: [1] 2 3 4   Go Down

Author Topic: Tannoy VQ series compression driver  (Read 16374 times)

Adrian Bamford

• Is it that time already?
Tannoy VQ series compression driver
« on: February 18, 2014, 09:20:46 AM »

Hi All,

Does anyone know what size compression driver is in the Tannoy VQ60, VQ100 and the down-fill boxes ? It's referred to in all the Tannoy specs simply as 'Dual Concentric Compression driver loaded into a single PSW Waveguide'; no size given.

I've recently visited a venue with several of these boxes flown, and the high-end is not great - like the PA had a blanket over it. I'm looking to find out why.
Regards,

Ade

Tim McCulloch

• SR Forums
  • Wichita, Kansas USA
Re: Tannoy VQ series compression driver
« Reply #1 on: February 18, 2014, 09:39:51 AM »

Hi All,

Does anyone know what size compression driver is in the Tannoy VQ60, VQ100 and the down-fill boxes ? It's referred to in all the Tannoy specs simply as 'Dual Concentric Compression driver loaded into a single PSW Waveguide'; no size given.

I've recently visited a venue with several of these boxes flown, and the high-end is not great - like the PA had a blanket over it. I'm looking to find out why.
Regards,

Ade

System tuning and voicing, perhaps.  There are lots of complicated bits between the microphone and loudspeaker.
"If you're passing on your way, from Palm Springs to L.A., Give a wave to good ol' Dave, Say hello to progress and goodbye to the Moonlight Motor Inn." - Steve Spurgin, Moonlight Motor Inn

Adrian Bamford

« Reply #2 on: February 18, 2014, 10:49:00 AM »

Granted - but this is Just a Beta '58 into an AH iLive console input with flat everything, then into a Labgruppen C:28.4, and then into the VQ60. A professional sound system shouldn't, and usually doesn't, take any form of system tuning to make that sound at least passable.

Tim McCulloch

• SR Forums
  • Wichita, Kansas USA
« Reply #3 on: February 18, 2014, 11:09:05 AM »

Granted - but this is Just a Beta '58 into an AH iLive console input with flat everything, then into a Labgruppen C:28.4, and then into the VQ60. A professional sound system shouldn't, and usually doesn't, take any form of system tuning to make that sound at least passable.

Have you taken your concerns to Tannoy?
"If you're passing on your way, from Palm Springs to L.A., Give a wave to good ol' Dave, Say hello to progress and goodbye to the Moonlight Motor Inn." - Steve Spurgin, Moonlight Motor Inn

Mike Pyle

• Santa Rosa, CA
« Reply #4 on: February 18, 2014, 11:28:04 AM »

The VQ60 and VQ100 are both spec'ed as "bi-amp or tri-amp" systems, so there must be an active crossover or processing in there somewhere. As to the driver sizes, here is a description from an A&E sheet on the web:

"The loudspeaker shall consist of a Dual Concentric™ Compression driver with a 3.5” Midrange voice coil and a 2” High Frequency voice coil, both mounted in a common subsystem with a common 2" exit. This Dual Concentric™ compression driver shall be coupled to a PSW™ (Point Source Waveguide) constant directivity horn operating over the frequency range of 450Hz to 23kHz. The low frequency section consists of two 12” (300mm) woofers, and shall be mounted in a semi-horn loaded enclosure to provide significant off axis attenuation below 450Hz."
Mike Pyle  Audiopyle Sound  707-315-6204
Dealer For: JBL, Soundcraft, Crown, dbx, AKG, Yorkville, EV, QSC, RCF, FBT, Danley Sound Labs, Meyer Sound, Fulcrum Acoustic, Tannoy, Lab Gruppen, Powersoft, Linea Research, EAW, Allen & Heath, Ashly, APB, Audix, One Systems, Presonus, K&M, Ultimate, Global Truss, Intellistage, SKB, Gator, Radial Engineering, Turbosound, Midas, dB Technologies, American DJ, Odyssey, ProCo, Rapco, CBI, Elation, Mipro, Chauvet, Blizzard, Shure, Whirlwind, Bassboss, Yamaha, Line 6, Behringer, On-Stage, more...

Mac Kerr

• Old enough to know better
  • Administrator
  • Audio Plumber
« Reply #5 on: February 18, 2014, 11:57:21 AM »

There seems to be a critical component missing from that signal chain, the crossover. The VQ-60 is bi amp or tri amp only, you must have an active crossover or DSP and 2 or 3 amp channels to power all of the drivers.

HERE is the spec sheet.

Mac

Jens Palm Bacher

• Lydfabrikken
« Reply #6 on: February 18, 2014, 12:21:20 PM »

Hi All,

Regards,

Ade
BMS 4592

gordonmcgregor

« Reply #7 on: February 18, 2014, 02:00:23 PM »

As has been said there needs to be at least a bi-amp crossover and I would say that a lack of high end is not the usual complaint with these boxes so something isn't set or wired right, there should be enough  power in that amp to drive 2 cabs in bi amp mode at least. If it bothers you and you can get access to the amps etc have a look for whatever processor is there and check it's settings with the ones published on Tannoy's website. G

Adrian Bamford

« Reply #8 on: February 18, 2014, 02:17:38 PM »

Thanks all, It's not really my gig or anything; I was asked to take a listen because no-one could get any vocal level in a band situation. A complete lack of real high-end stick out like s sore thumb. I'll dig a little deeper and see what's going on. Ade

Art Welter

• Santa Fe, New Mexico
« Reply #9 on: February 18, 2014, 02:35:19 PM »

Thanks all, It's not really my gig or anything; I was asked to take a listen because no-one could get any vocal level in a band situation. A complete lack of real high-end stick out like s sore thumb. I'll dig a little deeper and see what's going on. Ade
A complete lack of high end would indicate the HF portion of the coax is burnt out, leaving virtually no response (steep roll off) above around 6 kHz.

Beta 58 would sound like it has a pair of gym socks over it.

ProSoundWeb Community

« Reply #9 on: February 18, 2014, 02:35:19 PM »

Pages: [1] 2 3 4   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.032 seconds with 25 queries.