ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: [1] 2  All   Go Down

Author Topic: Yamaha MG Mixers Failing  (Read 15637 times)

Michael A. Yates

Yamaha MG Mixers Failing
« on: February 17, 2014, 09:44:05 PM »

Minding that these mixers are low end entry level, has anyone had any problems with them failing all of a sudden? We have 2 and they are both giving me a load of problems all of a sudden. We have a MG 32/14FX in the gym building that the channels are giving out. By that I mean you cant mute the channel or control the audio level on the bad channels. We also have a MG 16/4 that we use in the youth area that has failed completely as in will not pass audio period and if you touch it, it pops. They are about 10 years old. Installed systems. No abuse.
We used a GF 24/12 in the sanctuary since the late 90's with no problems what so ever till a lighting strike that took out a few channels in 2011 "Replaced with a Mackie 3204-VLZ3" and I believe it would still be kicking if it wasn't for that lighting. Matter fact we have a MX 12/4 in the children's building from the late 90's that's still kicking strong!
So it must be something with the new Yamaha's??? Anyone else having any problems like this??? 

g'bye, Dick Rees

• Duluth
Re: Yamaha MG Mixers Failing
« Reply #1 on: February 18, 2014, 08:02:07 AM »

Minding that these mixers are low end entry level, has anyone had any problems with them failing all of a sudden? We have 2 and they are both giving me a load of problems all of a sudden. We have a MG 32/14FX in the gym building that the channels are giving out. By that I mean you cant mute the channel or control the audio level on the bad channels. We also have a MG 16/4 that we use in the youth area that has failed completely as in will not pass audio period and if you touch it, it pops. They are about 10 years old. Installed systems. No abuse.
We used a GF 24/12 in the sanctuary since the late 90's with no problems what so ever till a lighting strike that took out a few channels in 2011 "Replaced with a Mackie 3204-VLZ3" and I believe it would still be kicking if it wasn't for that lighting. Matter fact we have a MX 12/4 in the children's building from the late 90's that's still kicking strong!
So it must be something with the new Yamaha's??? Anyone else having any problems like this???

All I can say is that you have been blessed.  The MG series is arguably one of the WORST bunch of c*** ever foisted on the audio community.

Now you can go out and get a ZED or Soundcraft replacement and be delivered from the abyss.  The waters of the Mud Sea have been parted for you.  Escape while you can.
Pay no attention to the man behind the curtain...

Michael A. Yates

« Reply #2 on: February 18, 2014, 11:00:07 AM »

Yea I should have gone with a zed back when the old Yamaha got hit by lighting. The a&h brand has always held up good. Looks like I'm going to need to budget for some zeds heat soon. No problem.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

frank kayser

• Maryland suburbs of Washington DC
« Reply #3 on: February 18, 2014, 08:03:01 PM »

All I can say is that you have been blessed.  The MG series is arguably one of the WORST bunch of c*** ever foisted on the audio community.

Now you can go out and get a ZED or Soundcraft replacement and be delivered from the abyss.  The waters of the Mud Sea have been parted for you.  Escape while you can.
One does wonder how Yamaha manages to play both ends of the quality spectrum so well.
Say it again: "The waters of the Mud Sea have been parted for you.  Escape while you can."

Michael A. Yates

« Reply #4 on: February 18, 2014, 09:38:00 PM »

One does wonder how Yamaha manages to play both ends of the quality spectrum so well.

True that!

David Hoover

« Reply #5 on: February 19, 2014, 12:03:07 PM »

This is why our church is switching to all digital mixers even if small format.  Our analogue consoles served their time, but they just don't last as long.  A&H, Crest, Mackie, Yamaha, Soundcraft, etc. all went out over time or lost channels.  We have this old Yamaha powered mixer that lasted the longest actually.  You will be faced with the decision eventually whether to repair or buy new. ;)

Milt Hathaway

• http://www.fitzcosound.com
« Reply #6 on: February 19, 2014, 12:16:27 PM »

They are smart enough to know that there are (in general) only two types of consumers left in the world: Those who only want cheapness regardless of quality and support; and those who want quality and support regardless of price.

There is little point in targeting any perceived middle ground anymore.
--
Milt
FitzCo Sound, Inc.
Midland, TX
http://www.fitzcosound.com

Jonathan Johnson

• Southwest Washington (state, not DC)
« Reply #7 on: February 19, 2014, 06:07:24 PM »

Chalk up another MG failure here. A sister church's MG166CX was in the shop for 3 months, finally they gave up on the shop and replaced it. Not sure what it was replaced with.

I have a Mackie Onyx 1640 (1st generation) in which the power supply failed just out of warranty. The repair shop replaced a bunch of capacitors and a few other components. I've heard that power supplies were problematic on the 1640s. Wonder if it was part of the capacitor plague.
Stop confusing the issue with facts and logic!

Michael A. Yates

« Reply #8 on: February 19, 2014, 11:40:35 PM »

Just got a new all pro sound catalog in the mail and I can't believe how cheap digital mixers have gotten! You can get a PreSonus StudioLive 32.4.2 for $4000 or a Allen and Heath Qu-24 for around $3000.... Minding that they are entry level digitals, why would you go back analog? So many more things you can do digital wise! Other then the retraining volunteers I don't see any reason not to go digital! I agree with what was said before if I were to go back analog it would be a Allen and Heath ZED for sure! 

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

frank kayser

• Maryland suburbs of Washington DC
« Reply #9 on: February 20, 2014, 10:02:59 AM »

A&H, Soundcraft, Studiolive - any of these entry level digitals would be a MAJOR upgrade for your church.  The ability to save and recall scenes will also help out the volunteers. 

ProSoundWeb Community

« Reply #9 on: February 20, 2014, 10:02:59 AM »

Pages: [1] 2  All   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.036 seconds with 25 queries.