ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: 1 [2]  All   Go Down

Author Topic: Yamaha MG Mixers Failing  (Read 15638 times)

Tommy Peel

• Longview, Texas
Re: Yamaha MG Mixers Failing
« Reply #10 on: February 20, 2014, 01:01:28 PM »

I have a Mackie Onyx 1640 (1st generation) in which the power supply failed just out of warranty. The repair shop replaced a bunch of capacitors and a few other components. I've heard that power supplies were problematic on the 1640s. Wonder if it was part of the capacitor plague.
Lovely..... I mix on two separate 1st gen 1640s regularly; one at a church I help at in Tyler and another that the band I mix for owns. Great sounding board, IMO, though and the firewire interface is nice. The 2nd gen 1640s have an even nicer firewire interface that'll do 16in and 16out(it's setup where you can use plugins such as Waves Multirack live) instead of the 18out and 2in of the first gen, but for what they cost new you can now get a nice digital board.

Ron Balsom

« Reply #11 on: April 15, 2014, 11:42:50 PM »

Just got a new all pro sound catalog in the mail and I can't believe how cheap digital mixers have gotten! You can get a PreSonus StudioLive 32.4.2 for $4000 or a Allen and Heath Qu-24 for around $3000.... Minding that they are entry level digitals, why would you go back analog? So many more things you can do digital wise! Other then the retraining volunteers I don't see any reason not to go digital! I agree with what was said before if I were to go back analog it would be a Allen and Heath ZED for sure!
       Greetings Michael,  I do have a Presonus 24.  It's about 1 year old, only used for church events and not used regularly, very low hours. If that will fill your needs, and if your within a 'few states', I'd be happy to deliver and install with any necessary adjustments. I have a larger mixer ordered and would be thrilled to deliver and teach your team how to operate.  I believe I paid around $3100 and would ask around $2500.  I live in Wyoming.  Blessings, Ron Balsom   307 315 7412   [email protected]   anytime.

Jonathan Johnson

• Southwest Washington (state, not DC)
« Reply #12 on: April 16, 2014, 01:22:26 PM »

Chalk up another MG failure here. A sister church's MG166CX was in the shop for 3 months, finally they gave up on the shop and replaced it. Not sure what it was replaced with.

I have a Mackie Onyx 1640 (1st generation) in which the power supply failed just out of warranty. The repair shop replaced a bunch of capacitors and a few other components. I've heard that power supplies were problematic on the 1640s. Wonder if it was part of the capacitor plague.

I can't believe I forgot about this. The Onyx 1640 actually failed under warranty (same problem) and Mackie replaced it with a refurb unit. Then the replacement failed just out of warranty (as noted above). So make that TWO Onyx failures under my watch! The repaired one has been working well for several years now.
Stop confusing the issue with facts and logic!

Michael A. Yates

« Reply #13 on: April 16, 2014, 10:56:26 PM »

Greetings Michael,  I do have a Presonus 24.  It's about 1 year old, only used for church events and not used regularly, very low hours. If that will fill your needs, and if your within a 'few states', I'd be happy to deliver and install with any necessary adjustments. I have a larger mixer ordered and would be thrilled to deliver and teach your team how to operate.  I believe I paid around $3100 and would ask around $2500.  I live in Wyoming.  Blessings, Ron Balsom   307 315 7412   [email protected]   anytime.

Just purchased a StudioLive 16.4.2 AI for my personal rig and it failed during set up. Sounded like the preamps were bad. Very distorted audio. I sent it back and should be receiving a new one here soon. I would love to buy yours for larger gigs or for the church but at the moment do not have the money. Thanks for the offer though. I would buy it if I had the money for sure! 

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Tommy Peel

• Longview, Texas
« Reply #14 on: April 17, 2014, 12:39:57 AM »

I can't believe I forgot about this. The Onyx 1640 actually failed under warranty (same problem) and Mackie replaced it with a refurb unit. Then the replacement failed just out of warranty (as noted above). So make that TWO Onyx failures under my watch! The repaired one has been working well for several years now.

Hmmm. Both of the ones I use regularly have been fine. Guess we got good ones(at least for now). At the church I mixed at tonight they're talking of swapping the 1640 out for an LS9-32 that came from the church's main auditorium(it was replaced with a Digico). We don't need the channels(our typical full band takes 12-14 channels) but the extra processing will be nice(gates for the drums, more comps, etc...).

Sent from my Nexus 4 running XeonHD + HellsCore b46-t4 using Tapatalk Pro

ProSoundWeb Community

« Reply #14 on: April 17, 2014, 12:39:57 AM »

Pages: 1 [2]  All   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.034 seconds with 24 queries.